Claimed off Waivers: [WPG] Jets claim Nick Shore

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's 6'1 and under 200 pounds lol. What gritty heavy player are we talking about? Because Shore is absolutely neither of those. Shore has 13 hits in 21 games, meanwhile Timashov has 39 in 20 and isn't a complete black hole on the ice.

Geez I knew the guy wasn't afraid to go into the dirty areas but I didn't know he was averaging almost 2 hits per game.

Good for him.

Leafs would gladly take an open contract spot in exchange for Shore. We don't need him on the Marlies, even though he would have been a nice addition, and we were at 49 contracts. Would rather have the extra contractual flexibility.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He's 6'1 and under 200 pounds lol. What gritty heavy player are we talking about? Because Shore is absolutely neither of those. Shore has 13 hits in 21 games, meanwhile Timashov has 39 in 20 and isn't a complete black hole on the ice.
Timashov actually has 53 hits in 20. He's trying to earn his ice time the old fashioned way. Engvall, Gauthier, Moore and Spezza are all grittier and better at hockey and they're his competition. The only one who he is grittier than is Petan and Petan has already been waived twice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly, the entire 4th line is pretty ineffective.

I know squat about Nick Shore, but trust that Chevy sees this as an upgrade.
Precisely. Chevy does. Chevy is a good evaluator of talent and knows how to build a team. Shore is a bottom 3 player. Zero risk. I’ve watched him this year. Under a style more beneficial to his, he is like a found wallet. Zero expectations so its a zero risk move. He will add grit and typical 4th line energy to the jets at no cost other than a paper claim. If he doesnt work out, jets can let him go. So to me its a good move by chevy.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
We'll see what he brings but he sounds like exactly the player that we were looking for on our 4th line. Can PK, plays C, has a league minimum salary, defensively responsible and drives play a bit. Might be a bit gritty... TBD, but good on the cycle.

With Gus going to the world juniors I view this as a really low cost addition that allows our other prospects (Harkins/Spacek specifically) to continue to develop in the AHL. If he doesn't work out we can waive him and bring Gus back after the World Juniors.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I didn't know the Jets needed another forward. Is there an injury issue or someone being ineffective?

Little is out long term with an ear drum injury and vertigo issues.
That brought Roslovic up to the top 6 (which has been great) and Perreault with Lowry and Copp. Appleton and Borque are injured so we are running a really inexperienced 4th line.

David Gustafsson is a good 2nd round prospect that needs to play more than he has and may be best served playing in the AHL or loaned out for the WJHC.
Luoto is a rookie who should still be in the AHL and Shaw is not good enough for the NHL.

The Jets have had a lot of success since the start of November but they are doing it without any help from the 4th line.
If we're lucky enough to be healthy later this year then we could have a much better 4th line.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I didn't know the Jets needed another forward. Is there an injury issue or someone being ineffective?
The Jets have four forwards out with injuries atm and the depth is not what it used to be, so the 4th line is quite ineffective and not trusted.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Precisely. Chevy does. Chevy is a good evaluator of talent and knows how to build a team. Shore is a bottom 3 player. Zero risk. I’ve watched him this year. Under a style more beneficial to his, he is like a found wallet. Zero expectations so its a zero risk move. He will add grit and typical 4th line energy to the jets at no cost other than a paper claim. If he doesnt work out, jets can let him go. So to me its a good move by chevy.

Yep! Dubas picked him off the scrap heap in Russia after not one NHL team wanted him last year now he's a good gritty 4th liner after 8 this season on a crappy Leafs team. You're just full of fake news as always!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leafs have very little grit in their line up presently. Obviously Chevy values him to put a claim in. Maybe Dubas will learn teams need gritty players too one day. It’s remarkable he has made the leafs even softer with this move.
In what world is Nick Shore gritty? Lol I don't think losing him is going to make the team worse in any way. He was probably the most unnoticeable player to play for the Leafs in the past 10 years. I'd be surprised if he had 10 hits in his 20 something games.

For Jets fans: Shore does nothing out there. If you need a guy who can take a 4th line shift with no positive or negative impact then he's your guy. Not someone I'd want long term, but he's ok as a 13th forward on many teams.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Nick Shore is gritty?

:laugh: :biglaugh:
What?????
80F5C1E6-7E74-4E38-BDFA-9251D4168DC4.jpeg

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I still don't know what he actually looks like. I could not pick his face out of a lineup.

The guy can play NHL hockey, but not in any noticeable sense. He doesn't really do much offensively and doesn't do a lot defensively. He's basically the definition of a replacement level player, but if you need bodies who can skate in the NHL then he's a perfectly good pickup. Nothing wrong with having him as depth, so good for the Jets.

Hilarious to see that the ol' ignore list seems to think that he's "gritty". He's softer than Gauthier and that's hard to do.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Nick Shore is a defensive, non-creative, pass-first center who plays within his means.

He'll play well enough in a structured environment, but when things call for creativity or improvising, he'll struggle.

He's okay for depth, but you'll likely yearn for a player who brings more to the table in some capacity.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Toilet paper is gritter than Nick Shore.

Nick Shore is a defensive, non-creative, pass-first center who plays within his means.

He'll play well enough in a structured environment, but when things call for creativity or improvising, he'll struggle.

He's okay for depth, but you'll likely yearn for a player who brings more to the table in some capacity.

The ol "tan crayon". The most boring player you'll ever see. But defensively effective. TO was absolutely burying him deployment-wise and he was still performing well outcomes-wise. He's a guy that allows other guys to do things. But giving him 'better' deployment doesn't make him better either, heh.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Lol ya, we'll definitely miss the 13 hits and six minor penalties in 21 games. Real grit grinder.
For the Leafs that means he was pretty much Big Buff, Reaves and Wilson all in one player. Any other team he is less than average physical player.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Toilet paper is gritter than Nick Shore.

The ol "tan crayon". The most boring player you'll ever see. But defensively effective. TO was absolutely burying him deployment-wise and he was still performing well outcomes-wise. He's a guy that allows other guys to do things. But giving him 'better' deployment doesn't make him better either, heh.

When he was on the Kings my friends called him the most boring player in hockey. Not good offensively, decent defensively, not physical. Boring....

Reactions: smitty10

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Leafs have very little grit in their line up presently. Obviously Chevy values him to put a claim in. Maybe Dubas will learn teams need gritty players too one day. It’s remarkable he has made the leafs even softer with this move.
Let's face it, Dinah Shore would add grit to the Leafs.....

Reactions: larmex99

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I hope he works out in the peg, Shore is a bottom 3 player. Zero risk. I’ve watched him this year. Under a style more beneficial to his, he is like a found wallet. Zero expectations so its a zero risk move. He will add grit and typical 4th line energy to the jets at no cost other than a paper claim. If he doesnt work out, jets can let him go. This is exactly what the Leafs did. Now they let him go. They even had a waiver exempt player they could have demoted if demotion was a necessity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->