Claimed off Waivers: [WPG] Jets claim Nick Shore

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I didn't know the Jets needed another forward. Is there an injury issue or someone being ineffective?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kind of surprised the Jets would claim him but he will fit in with them better than the leafs. Jets play a heavier style so shore will fit in. Leafs lose even more grit, they may have thought he would slide by waivers. Chevy had other ideas.

Lol ya, we'll definitely miss the 13 hits and six minor penalties in 21 games. Real grit grinder.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I didn't know the Jets needed another forward. Is there an injury issue or someone being ineffective?

Not sure if Shore is the answer, but the team could use some help on the 4th line. If they are thinking about Shore at C, it could also mean that the team is looking at loaning David Gustafsson for the World Juniors. Still could use some 4th line help though as Gus has probably been the best member of that line.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
He's an NHL level talent for sure and can handle a 4th line role, but he's been by far the single most unnoticeable player on the Leafs this season. Every bubble player (Timashov, Engvall, Gauthier, Petan) that they've put in the lineup this season has been better than Shore IMO. I'm a little surprised anybody claimed him to be honest.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol ya, we'll definitely miss the 13 hits and six minor penalties in 21 games. Real grit grinder.
Leafs have very little grit in their line up presently. Obviously Chevy values him to put a claim in. Maybe Dubas will learn teams need gritty players too one day. It’s remarkable he has made the leafs even softer with this move.

Reactions: Morrison

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
He's an NHL level talent for sure and can handle a 4th line role, but he's been by far the single most unnoticeable player on the Leafs this season. Every bubble player (Timashov, Engvall, Gauthier, Petan) that they've put in the lineup this season has been better than Shore IMO. I'm a little surprised anybody claimed him to be honest.

Thanks for this.

I've never heard of Nick Shore before we claimed him, so I appreciate hearing what Leafs fans think of him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Leafs have very little grit in their line up presently. Obviously Chevy values him to put a claim in. Maybe Dubas will learn teams need gritty players too one day. It’s remarkable he has made the leafs even softer with this move.

Yeah, we're really gonna miss all the grit he brings. The whole 8 more hits than Nylander. Ouuuuuu grit.

a) don't need grit
b) you don't know what you're talking about if you think Nick Shore is gritty enough to be a "loss of grit"

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, we're really gonna miss all the grit he brings. The whole 8 more hits than Nylander. Ouuuuuu grit.

a) don't need grit
b) you don't know what you're talking about if you think Nick Shore is gritty enough to be a "loss of grit"
You seem to be going out of your way to convince yourself grit doesn’t matter in hockey today. Regardless it is a no risk move by the Jets. They got a nhl player for nothing that fits in towards their brand of hockey. Not sure why you are upset unless you do recognize the leafs have gotten even softer.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Shore is basically useless offensively and average defensively. Not sad he’s gone but maybe will be a better fit in wpg

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You seem to be going out of your way to convince yourself grit doesn’t matter in hockey today. Regardless it is a no risk move by the Jets. They got a nhl player for nothing that fits in towards their brand of hockey. Not sure why you are upset unless you do recognize the leafs have gotten even softer.

No, I'm basing that on analytics and the fact that "grit" brings nothing to a modern day NHL other than extra minor penalties. I prefer to have a perceived "soft" team than have a team that goes out of their way to hit/take penalties.

If you want to call Shore an NHL player at this point in his career, that's on you. He's fine as a 13th forward or a PK'ing 4C, but he's not able to keep up in the play and although Babs crushed him in usage he still looked completely ineffective. Wishing him well on the Jets and maybe he'll even be a better fit, but it's embarrassing you think the Leafs lost something here lol.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, I'm basing that on analytics and the fact that "grit" brings nothing to a modern day NHL other than extra minor penalties. I prefer to have a perceived "soft" team than have a team that goes out of their way to hit/take penalties.

If you want to call Shore an NHL player at this point in his career, that's on you. He's fine as a 13th forward or a PK'ing 4C, but he's not able to keep up in the play and although Babs crushed him in usage he still looked completely ineffective.
Not going to get into a philosophical debate on grit vs skill. All I will say is look at the brand of hockey that st louis played last year that won the cup. That will shut down that discussion pretty quick. Shore was deemed valuable enough by a gm known for good talent evaluation. Its a zero risk move by tre jets. Not sure why you feel it’s relevant to tell jets fans gritty players that play heavy hockey do not matter? Leafs are doubling down on zero grit in their line up. Thus far they have gotten progressively worse under dubas with this untested model. So jets have nothing to lose here and we will see if leafs doubling down on less grit works or fails.

Reactions: CDJ

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I love the idea of a tougher team. But, Nick Shore was simply the worst roster forward the Leafs iced this season. The other thing is that he's not a very gritty player. I've watched every game and have whined about the lack of physicality all season long and if they didn't waive Shore I would question their thought process. As has been mentioned all the other forwards have been noticeable and made a impact. Shore was vanilla, he actually scored well on faceoffs in comparison to career norms and had a small presence on the PK. But, he was useless 5 on 5 and his shot count was ugly.

I think if we judge based on his career play he is an NHL player. If a team had room this is a solid depth addition in the role of 13th/14th forward for free. If the Leafs were selling him at the deadline they probably could have gotten a late round pick.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not going to get into a philosophical debate on grit vs skill. All I will say is look at the brand of hockey that st louis played last year that won the cup. That will shut down that discussion pretty quick. Shore was deemed valuable enough by a gm known for good talent evaluation. Its a zero risk move by tre jets. Not sure why you feel it’s relevant to tell jets fans gritty players that play heavy hockey do not matter? Leafs are doubling down on zero grit in their line up. Thus far they have gotten progressively worse under dubas with this untested model. So jets have nothing to lose here and we will see if leafs doubling down on less grit works.

I'm not telling Jets fans that, thanks for twisting my words.

I'm telling you that Nick Shore is not gritty or a loss to our team because you claimed he was "gritty and made our team softer". He was quite clearly the worst player left on our roster, with only Ceci and Gauthier being current problems. Keefe is different, and we're a whole new team and are back to having sterling analytics.

I'm perfectly fine with the way Dubas has built the team. The issue was that when he went full in on it he had a coach (Babcock) that was completely unable to adjust his methodologies to adapt to the way the players have been made successful up to this point in their respective careers.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Not going to get into a philosophical debate on grit vs skill. All I will say is look at the brand of hockey that st louis played last year that won the cup. That will shut down that discussion pretty quick. Shore was deemed valuable enough by a gm known for good talent evaluation. Its a zero risk move by tre jets. Not sure why you feel it’s relevant to tell jets fans gritty players that play heavy hockey do not matter? Leafs are doubling down on zero grit in their line up. Thus far they have gotten progressively worse under dubas with this untested model. So jets have nothing to lose here and we will see if leafs doubling down on less grit works or fails.

He's 6'1 and under 200 pounds lol. What gritty heavy player are we talking about? Because Shore is absolutely neither of those. Shore has 13 hits in 21 games, meanwhile Timashov has 39 in 20 and isn't a complete black hole on the ice.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Kind of surprised the Jets would claim him but he will fit in with them better than the leafs. Jets play a heavier style so shore will fit in. Leafs lose even more grit, they may have thought he would slide by waivers. Chevy had other ideas.
That's a little outdated in terms of the Jets identity. We have one player who plays a heavy style in Lowry and then we lost probably half of our heaviness in Byfuglien.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad