Claimed off Waivers: [WPG] Jets claim Luca Sbisa from Ducks

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Can you imagine being Sbisa, planning on playing hockey in San Diego to being told to pack your shit you’re going to Winnipeg . Whole different wardrobe packed

Reactions: kris

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Can you imagine being Sbisa, planning on playing hockey in San Diego to being told to pack your **** you’re going to Winnipeg . Whole different wardrobe packed
He'll be like the Jamaican bobsledders (Sanka I think it was) in 'Cool Runnings". Sbisa will come out of the airport in Winnipeg wearing every single piece of clothing he owns.:laugh:

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Can you imagine being Sbisa, planning on playing hockey in San Diego to being told to pack your **** you’re going to Winnipeg . Whole different wardrobe packed
Can you imagine being Jets fans, planning on watching your team with Jacob Trouba, Dustin Byfuglien, and Tyler Myers on it, then being told you'll be watching Carl Dahlstrom, Anthony Bitetto and Luca Sbisa instead? Whole different amount of alcohol needed for hockey season. :laugh:

Last edited:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Can you imagine being Jets fans, planning on watching your team with Jacob Trouba, Dustin Byfuglien, and Tyler Myers on it, then being told you'll be watching Carl Dahlstrom, Anthony Bitetto and Luca Sbisa instead? Whole different amount of alcohol needed for hockey season. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Legal weed helps

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think even if Buff was coming back soon they still ought to invest in a #3D.

Heinola - Pionk has been good but neither should be trying to carry a second pairing at this point, they need more sheltering.

Morrissey - Buff
? - Pionk
Heinola - Niku

There's no shortage of bottom pair guys but they need a #3.
I see it more as a top pairing need...
Morrissey - ????
Heinola - Buff
Beaulieu/Niku - Pionk

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see it more as a top pairing need...
Morrissey - ????
Heinola - Buff
Beaulieu - Pionk

Based on last year's play I have no problem with Morrissey - Buff as a top pair. But a lot can change if Buff has health issues / is coming in heavy.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Oh I 100% agree, and I'm a cold weather guy to boot.

San Diego is much more than beach and sun, though. San Diego has near-perfect weather almost every day of the year, though. I'm a sun-hating, sardonic ******* and even I can't find anything to complain about when it comes to San Diego...at least as a minor league town.

I'd rather play in the NHL in Winnipeg than the AHL in San Diego, but I also don't have 500+ NHL games under my belt, nor did I just make $1.5 million to entertain the press box staff for 73 games last year. At this stage of his career, if I'm Sbisa I'd probably rather be playing in San Diego than riding the press box in Winnipeg.

Because both parties need to agree to sign a contract. By all accounts it seems like Sbisa had multiple options, but went with Anaheim's because...well...if I'm on a two-way deal that involves being sent down right away, I'd pay attention to where that AHL team is based. Anaheim having their AHL affiliate in San Diego has to help them when it comes to signing fringe players like Sbisa.

Agreed...but San Diego isn't that. Low/mid 70s as the high almost every day of the year. 80s are fairly rare and 90s almost never happens. All with a crisp sea breeze.

San Diego has picture perfect weather 300+ days a year. You couldn't pay me to live just about anywhere in Arizona or Florida and I ***** about LA heat non-stop, but I'd move to San Diego in a second if I had any professional reason to do so.

Now contrast that +70Fs for most of the year with Winnipeg's winter season for Dec-March in the -4F (-20C) to -22F (-30C), plus another -18F in windchill on your average day...

The summer might not be too bad temperature wise, but it's still Winnipeg, dealing with the annual snow melt and excess mosquitoes during June/July because of the red river flooding...

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Based on last year's play I have no problem with Morrissey - Buff as a top pair. But a lot can change if Buff has health issues / is coming in heavy.
I feel more comfortable with Buff on that 2nd pairing.
His injury issues and other factors lean toward less than top pair minutes, plus it would keep him fresh for 1st PP line duty.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Now contrast that +70Fs for most of the year with Winnipeg's winter season for Dec-March in the -4F (-20C) to -22F (-30C), plus another -18F in windchill on your average day...

The summer might not be too bad temperature wise, but it's still Winnipeg, dealing with the annual snow melt and excess mosquitoes during June/July because of the red river flooding...
There hasn't been a mosquito in Winnipeg in 3 years. It's so overblown.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Sbisa if he's playing for the Moose within a month, rather than getting to spend his time off in San Diego (I'm a cold weather guy, but even I can't find San Diego weather objectionable).

Well, that or this is just bad news for all parties involved. To be in a situation where Luca Sbisa could offer hope in 2019 is rough.

I could be wrong, but I believe if Winnipeg waives him, the Ducks can claim him and send him directly to the AHL without clearing. So he either makes a decent NHL salary in Winnipeg or gets the weather of San Diego, not a bad situation for a guy who just as easily could be out of a job all together.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
iv taken to meth instead. makes the pain go away..

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Imagine getting ready to rent a condo in sunny, warm Anaheim and then finding out you’re spending your winter in -35 Winnipeg :(

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Imagine getting ready to rent a condo in sunny, warm Anaheim and then finding out you’re spending your winter in -35 Winnipeg :(
If good weather is his main concern He can always retire and sell insurance in Anaheim for $75K per year. Maybe he wants that $750K though. I would be very surprised if the Jets didn’t talk to his agent in advance though.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There hasn't been a mosquito in Winnipeg in 3 years. It's so overblown.

It's been a while since I've been anywhere near the Prairie in the summer - my experience involved multiple summers in the 2000s, where the mosquitoes were absolutely out of control. Glad to hear that has changed.

I've lived in a mix of northern BC, the Yukon and Saskatchewan over the past decade. Haven't been further East than that since 2008.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->