Proposal: WPG/Detroit and ANA/Detroit

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
There isn't really any way Detroit can address the loss of Datsyuk at this point, so lets assume they use their cap space to sign a couple of overpaid forwards (Okposo for 7, Nielsen for 5) and then are able to move their more palatable wingers to address their defense. Are these deals fair and sensible?

To Detroit: Trouba
To Winnipeg: Dekeyser and Nyquist/Tatar

Winnipeg gets a #2/3 LHD and a good winger. Detroit gets a younger RHD.

To Detroit: Fowler
To Anaheim: Nyquist/Tatar, Jurco/Pulkkinen, 1st (lottery protected) or 2nd

Detroit gets a young LHD on a good contract; Anaheim gets a good 2nd winger on a good contract, a cheap 3rd line wing, and a pick.

Detroit then uses capspace to overpay Okposo/Nielsen and get a cheap Vanek to make up the difference.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
There isn't really any way Detroit can address the loss of Datsyuk at this point, so lets assume they use their cap space to sign a couple of overpaid forwards (Okposo for 7, Nielsen for 5) and then are able to move their more palatable wingers to address their defense. Are these deals fair and sensible?

To Detroit: Trouba
To Winnipeg: Dekeyser and Nyquist/Tatar

Winnipeg gets a #2/3 LHD and a good winger. Detroit gets a younger RHD.

To Detroit: Fowler
To Anaheim: Nyquist/Tatar, Jurco/Pulkkinen, 1st (lottery protected) or 2nd

Detroit gets a young LHD on a good contract; Anaheim gets a good 2nd winger on a good contract, a cheap 3rd line wing, and a pick.

Detroit then uses capspace to overpay Okposo/Nielsen and get a cheap Vanek to make up the difference.
I think Sending dekeyser out would be a non starter.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Wouldn’t add a first for Fowler with Nyquist/Tatar, especially because it might be quite a high first. I’d probably do the Trouba deal but no chance the Wings trade hometown boy Dekeyser.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
OP has Detroit overpaying on all of them. I'd do Nyquist for Fowler straight up, though.

That's kind of the point. Represent the max offer for both players. In reality, Winnipeg probably throws in a middle pick and Detroit probably doesn't move the 1st, but its feasible in both respects and wouldn't ruin the Wings.

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
That's kind of the point. Represent the max offer for both players. In reality, Winnipeg probably throws in a middle pick and Detroit probably doesn't move the 1st, but its feasible in both respects and wouldn't ruin the Wings.

Both trades are very bad for Detroit combined and rob them of their offensive creativity. It's plugging one hole and creating another, larger, scarier hole.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Sending dekeyser out would be a non starter.

Why? Trouba and Dekeyser are pretty similar defenseman at this point. Both play heavily on the PK and some on the PP (Trouba more so than Dekeyser on the PP). The difference is Dekeyser only has a little room to grow whereas Trouba has more upside. You take the risk of losing Tatar/Nyquist for nothing (in the event that Trouba doesn't grow at all) for the potential that Trouba ultimately becomes better than Dekeyser, which Detroit very much needs but Winnipeg not so much.

Also, Trouba (and Fowler) are both Michigan boys, so Holland can still keep the homeboy calling card.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
OP has Detroit overpaying on all of them. I'd do Nyquist for Fowler straight up, though.

I think Nyquist is overpaid for what he provides...not even sure if he (or Tatar for that matter) would be effective in the Ducks system.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Both trades are very bad for Detroit combined and rob them of their offensive creativity. It's plugging one hole and creating another, larger, scarier hole.

What holes? These trades are contingent on the Wings using their capspace to buy both Okposo and Nielsen. Detroit supplants Tatar and Nyquist with Okposo and Nielsen, the downside being that their contracts will suck, the upside being that it allows the Wings to address their defense with the better valued players in Nyquist and Tatar without missing much of a beat up front.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

Done.

Wings can't move DD as they have legitimately nothing else in the pipeline aside from maybe Russo and any of the boom/busts from this draft.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
What holes? These trades are contingent on the Wings using their capspace to buy both Okposo and Nielsen. Detroit supplants Tatar and Nyquist with Okposo and Nielsen, the downside being that their contracts will suck, the upside being that it allows the Wings to address their defense with the better valued players in Nyquist and Tatar without missing much of a beat up front.

This is obscenely short sighted. Nielsen needs to sign with a contender.

Hush

Jan 28, 2013
Done.

Wings can't move DD as they have legitimately nothing else in the pipeline aside from maybe Russo and any of the boom/busts from this draft.

Ok let's call the GMs and get it done.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Done.

Did you even read the OP? This has Detroit adding Fowler and Trouba. How do they need DD if they do that?

This is obscenely short sighted. Nielsen needs to sign with a contender.

Nielsen doesn't need to do anything but take a good deal. Adding Nielsen gives Detroit the flexibility down the middle with Zetterberg, Nielsen, Larkin, and Sheahan where they can move bodies to the wing if they're too overwhelmed to stay at C (Zetterberg) or not ready to play C on the 1st line (Larkin)

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Don't don't need wingers. Young, old, rich, poor--wingers won't convince the Jets to downgrade from Trouba.

Value ain't bad (though I wonder why Nyquist and Tatar keep coming up 'round these parts...).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Don't don't need wingers. Young, old, rich, poor--wingers won't convince the Jets to downgrade from Trouba.

Value ain't bad (though I wonder why Nyquist and Tatar keep coming up 'round these parts...).

Because Detroit has everyone and their brother playing wing in the system and desperately need top defenseman and good centers. Unlike a lot of fanbases, Detroit understands that acquiring good, young defenseman costs you good, young players. Hence the posts. Nyquist and Tatar are our best trade chips and we can afford to move them because we have winger depth.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Because Detroit has everyone and their brother playing wing in the system and desperately need top defenseman and good centers. Unlike a lot of fanbases, Detroit understands that acquiring good, young defenseman costs you good, young players. Hence the posts. Nyquist and Tatar are our best trade chips and we can afford to move them because we have winger depth.

Problem is. Jets also have tons of winger depth. So really there is no deal to be made here.

Think about this, Let's pretend the Boston offer sheet is legit, 4 first round picks... going the Jets way if the Jets don't match.

You think Dekeyser and Jurco/Tatar (wingers the Jets don't need) is similar to 4 first round picks? Nope.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Problem is. Jets also have tons of winger depth. So really there is no deal to be made here.

Think about this, Let's pretend the Boston offer sheet is legit, 4 first round picks... going the Jets way if the Jets don't match.

You think Dekeyser and Jurco/Tatar (wingers the Jets don't need) is similar to 4 first round picks? Nope.

When did I ever even insinuate that? Boston has to actually make that (moronic) offer in the first place.

As for the Jets winger depth, they certainly have it, but I'm only seeing two guys that are better than Tatar/Nyquist on the roster in Wheeler and soon-to-be Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad