WoW, what a game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well, it's official. My account is back after 6 (?) years.

Took me awhile to find all my characters. :laugh:

I like the class trial feature, as I'm trying to figure out what to use my 110 boost on.

...might just end up going with the familiar paladin....although I played primarily hunter back in Mists and really enjoyed the ranged aspect.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Is there any reason not to use the 110 boost on my first character? I've gotten to level 33 after about 3-4 days of playing. There are very few folks in the lower areas, and the dungeons are extremely simple (I've been playing Holy priest). I feel like I'm going to be spending a few months leveling for no real benefit, when I can just boost to 110. If for some reason, I decide I want a 2nd character I would at least be able to get heirlooms for the XP boost on the 2nd character.

Any reason not to use a boost?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I would definitely just use the 110 boost on your first character. Like you even said, when you want to work on a second character you can unlock heirlooms for the XP boost which will make leveling a LOT faster.

I'm not expecting Battle For Azeroth to be as good as Legion, but I'm still pretty pumped for this expansion.
Might go on a snack run in the next day or so and stock up on a few things to have on hand whenever the expansion launches Monday evening.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Whenever the vanilla re-release comes out, I'll be sure to come back to WoW at least for a while. I never finished my Thunderfury, and that eats at me.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Whenever the vanilla re-release comes out, I'll be sure to come back to WoW at least for a while. I never finished my Thunderfury, and that eats at me.
Yup. Retail WoW just doesn't really do it for me. Modern Mmo's are just so shallow IMO. I was playing on a vanilla private server for awhile but decided to quit them after classic was announced. Gonna be amazing to play a legit version of vanilla.... providing blizzard doesn't mess it up.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Feels weird to be playing WoW again with my old buddies I met on the game, but it's a good kind of weird. :laugh:

So I wandered off trapping falcons and collecting fox pelts. Ahhhh, the nostalgia.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Damn, son. I didn't realize a subscription is $19 a month now.

I think I'm too cheap to pay that and play casually haha.

Last edited:

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I'm returning after quitting a few months into Legion. Only a couple hours into the storyline but it seems amazing so far. I don't have any friends on WoW so I'd be more than happy to link up with people from HF. I'm on Alliance rn

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I'm returning after quitting a few months into Legion. Only a couple hours into the storyline but it seems amazing so far. I don't have any friends on WoW so I'd be more than happy to link up with people from HF. I'm on Alliance rn
I’m alliance on lightbringer

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I'm up to 119 and having a good time. Unfortunately, the more time passes, the more I run into roaming Horde death squads. :laugh:

I'm interested in playing the Horde side as well, but my orc hunter is level 90 and I'm really not sure I want to level through 3 expansions...I wish the character boost wasn't a ridiculous $75.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
My vacation was during launch and lasts a few more days.

I have now played over 3 days in /played at lvl 120. Gotta grind that rep and gear....

Took me 11 hours to go from 110->120.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I'm back "on" WoW after a 9 year hiatus. I played from roughy Vanilla through 1 year of Lich King. And now just picked it up with the same friend I played with those some 10 years ago. The changes they have made to simplify end game are huge. Now you can play without having to commit your life to raiding. People still choose to, I'll never have the best gear, but that' doesn't prevent me from doing random dungeons and PvPing. The game has the satisfaction that few can provide. Whether it's loot from dungeons or crushing Alliance in PVP it just feels awesome when it happens. They've taken out some of the grind and kept alot of the reward. Thank god. Now I just need to resist the urge to log in every day after work for hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFBCommenter

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Diablo II is the best game ever.

This is the game that was "sticky" for me as the OP describes it. Very addictive. I played it for a year once and then 1 1/2 years the second time. The second stint was in undergrad and it consumed so much of my time. Sleep became very expendable :P

I had a friend in college that played WoW at the same time I was playing D2. He was from China as an international student. He stopped going to classes, flunked out of all of his classes, and returned home during winter break never to return. All because of WoW. I knew that I can become extremely addicted to games and made the decision to never play WoW after watching him go through that.

Reactions: Mrb1p

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It seems like they skimped out on the content in this expansion.

Took me about six hours to hit 120 and another 14 or so hours at 120 to have a 340 in almost every slot.

I'm hoping the raids are good.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Yup, i with some friends are back as well. After a 4 year hiatus it's nice to be back and boy have things changed. Seems like a different game. We all started from scratch as well. If anyone is coming back, feel free to join us on Emerald Dream server Alliance side. We are a few close friends leveling and hitting some dungeons together. Looking for more active members to join the fray.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Used to play i high school, probably quit 10 years ago. Reading through this thread and it looks like several of my old friends still have the guild going. I'm almost tempted to play again, but the wife would probably have something to say aboit that!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was excited for Warfronts, but man, they missed so hard. I was expecting the throwback to the old RTS games that they advertised, but it's just a mindless zerg that's impossible to lose.

There's no doubt in my mind that BfA will go down as the worst WoW expansion fairly unanimously.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I must be crazy, then, because BfA is the expansion that brought me back to the game. Loved BC, loved WotLK, didn't care for Cata, Mists was alright, didn't play WoD or Legion, and now I'm sufficiently hooked again due to BfA.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I was excited for Warfronts, but man, they missed so hard. I was expecting the throwback to the old RTS games that they advertised, but it's just a mindless zerg that's impossible to lose.

There's no doubt in my mind that BfA will go down as the worst WoW expansion fairly unanimously.

Yeah I don’t know about that. Maybe it’s jisy because I’m trying to get the Mag’har and Dark Iron races, but I’ve got lots of things to do every day when I log on and it’s all keeping me entertained, and I still haven’t even started actively trying to gear up for raids or mythics yet. I’ve been to Arathi once, and I don’t even know what Warfronts is that you’re referring to.

This is far and away better than WoD already, and unless they just stop making content for the next two years, it probably will stay that way. I also like it better than Legion so far.

I actually have motivation to log in every day and Zandalar and Kul’Tiras are great, it’s nice to have a theme other than Orcs and Fel again.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So the in-game screen says a Mythic+6 gives 365 gear. I open my cache today and get a 355 piece. Apparently if you're "lucky" enough to get an Azerite piece, you get it at a much lower item level.

So I check the traits on it. 22nd worst and 28th worst(out of 28) on outer ring. 8th worst(out of 10) on inner ring. Do a quick sim and it's worse than my 325 shoulders.

What a monumental failure of a system.

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
So the in-game screen says a Mythic+6 gives 365 gear. I open my cache today and get a 355 piece. Apparently if you're "lucky" enough to get an Azerite piece, you get it at a much lower item level.

So I check the traits on it. 22nd worst and 28th worst(out of 28) on outer ring. 8th worst(out of 10) on inner ring. Do a quick sim and it's worse than my 325 shoulders.

What a monumental failure of a system.

As someone who started in November/December 04, quit about 2 months after Naxx was released, top 5 guild on the most populated server (kind of competed with Vodka), returned near the end of Wrath and played until about 2 months into Pandarian......I have no idea what that all means.

Maybe I was used to the items being set in stone and item levels being meaningful.
Sounds like a completely different game from the one I started just after high school.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
As someone who started in November/December 04, quit about 2 months after Naxx was released, top 5 guild on the most populated server (kind of competed with Vodka), returned near the end of Wrath and played until about 2 months into Pandarian......I have no idea what that all means.

Maybe I was used to the items being set in stone and item levels being meaningful.
Sounds like a completely different game from the one I started just after high school.

It's the new gear feature in BfA. It's intended to replace Legendary effects from Legion as well as tier sets in raids(yes, there are no class specific raid tier sets in BfA for some reason...).

You collect "Artifact Power" for doing most things. It goes into your special neck piece and levels it up. As you level it, it unlocks traits on your head, shoulders and chest.

The first problem is there are some traits that are far better than others and certain traits only show up on certain gear pieces. Like in my example above, my 330 shoulders had the best windwalker monk trait on them that's worth about triple the DPS of even the next best trait and my 355 shoulders had one terrible generic trait worth very little dps and an AoE only trait.

The second problem is that higher item level azerite gear requires a higher level neck to unlock the traits, so even though you got an actual upgrade with a good trait on it, you'll now have to grind AP to level your neck to unlock the same trait you already had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad