WoW, what a game.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Diablo II is the best game ever.

As someone who played Diablo II for thousands of hours, had a level 98 (IIRC 98 --> 99 was the same amount of experience points from 1 --> 98, so I never had the patience to go to 99), on Ladder, and was part of the Baal run that got someone to 99 first on Ladder, I can say it is most definitely not the best game ever. Addicting as all hell, but tedious and mindless. I played to get loot, level up to the high 90s, and help others who played more do the same. The loot system was fantastic, and the game had immense replayability, but it had some deep flaws too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As someone who played Diablo II for thousands of hours, had a level 98 (IIRC 98 --> 99 was the same amount of experience points from 1 --> 98, so I never had the patience to go to 99), on Ladder, and was part of the Baal run that got someone to 99 first on Ladder, I can say it is most definitely not the best game ever. Addicting as all hell, but tedious and mindless. I played to get loot, level up to the high 90s, and help others who played more do the same. The loot system was fantastic, and the game had immense replayability, but it had some deep flaws too.

Best PvP of any games too though.

I also had numerous high ladder on d2 classic. (At one point i owned 3 of the top Zon in east :laugh:)

Replayability, story, loot system, levelling system, PvP, itemisation, crafting. It had it all. Hundreds of viable builds both PvM and PvP (ever got wrecked by a bear druid or a fire trap sin ? That was most likely me.

One real flaw was the hacking and the number of bots towards the end...

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Diablo II is the best game ever.

This is correct answer.

WoW was an amazing game if you had a group of friends to play with it, specifically Vanilla. Followed by WotLK.

Of course it's subjective and age has a factor, but I was a Blizzard guy followed by Steam, so between WoW/D2/Warcraft 3 and CS 1.6/Day of Defeat 1.6 was pretty much my life from age 13-19.

I also had numerous high ladder on d2 classic. (At one point i owned 3 of the top Zon in east :laugh:)

Replayability, story, loot system, levelling system, PvP, itemisation, crafting. It had it all. Hundreds of viable builds both PvM and PvP (ever got wrecked by a bear druid or a fire trap sin ? That was most likely me.

Yeah botting/hacking was pretty bad on US East. An older friend of mine was big into dupe hacking, got into selling it on eBay made a few thousand dollars .

But hell, jumping on Ventrillo with your best buds, running Baal runs or Arathi Basin in WoW until like 3AM when you were 16-17 was unbelievable amounts of fun .

Reactions: Dzonna and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is correct answer.

WoW was an amazing game if you had a group of friends to play with it, specifically Vanilla. Followed by WotLK.

Of course it's subjective and age has a factor, but I was a Blizzard guy followed by Steam, so between WoW/D2/Warcraft 3 and CS 1.6/Day of Defeat 1.6 was pretty much my life from age 13-19.

Yeah botting/hacking was pretty bad on US East. An older friend of mine was big into dupe hacking, got into selling it on eBay made a few thousand dollars .

But hell, jumping on Ventrillo with your best buds, running Baal runs or Arathi Basin in WoW until like 3AM when you were 16-17 was unbelievable amounts of fun .
My jam really was PvP on D2 LOD. I just loved every thing about it. Lotsa skills but also lotsa grinding.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Excuse the ignorance but I have never played Diablo. What do you guys mean by ladder etc. I’m hearing rumours that it may make its way to the Nintendo switch. More than likely will buy it then.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah D2 is #1 for me as well. It's such a masterpiece.

WoW I have also spent hundreds of hours over the years (I picked it up way late though, Pandaria was coming out when we decided to try it so I missed the "golden years") as a fairly casual player(only 1 110 char), levelling various toons with my son and running dungeons or the odd LFR. We'll be back in at some point in the next 6-12 months.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Like I said I really like the game, it’s just got enough flaws that it can’t be GOAT to me.

While I agree that there were hundreds of viable builds, almost always the top ladders characters were Hammerdins or Blizz/Frozen Orb Sorcs, because they were the most efficient for loot runs/Baal runs. PvP was better but I quit the game twice after hackers made my body poof and I lost gear which would have sold for thousands of dollars. Oh and having guild mates/“friends” who’ve you’ve known for a long time steal all your shit during a transfer (made worse because you’ve done this together a dozen times then they just screw you). Not neccessarily the games fault, but it seemed like they cracked down more on people using map hacks than griefers/dupers, and for the most part they didn’t add features to the game which stopped having to do dangerous transfers (the game desperately needed a larger, common chest).

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
WoW is basically a way of life. At least if you've played from the beginning like me.
As your IRL friends get older, they tend to get married and have kids. From WoW I found new and lasting friendships. Without that social side I would be very alone these days. I think this aspect gets understated here.
Some of those WoW friends are now IRL friends as well - I've known a few guys from the beginning and only had the pleasure of meeting them due to this game. I've even attended weddings of some of these WoW friends. I've known some of these guys for over 10 years now.

A game changed my life and for the better. Truly a game where bonds are made.

As for Diablo II, I always played hardcore only. I reached 99 as a HC Meteorb Sorc with max block, full resists and lightning absorb. I also reached lvl 95 playing Classic HC as a Sorc. Builds of course changed during the years, much like where you would grind your exp. Back when Cows were the way to go, I was a Nova Sorc. Remember now, there was no re-specs - you want to play something else, make a new character.
That game became unplayable when TPPK/Townkill hacks became widely used. You cannot play that game in HC anymore in public games. I tried in the summer of 2016. It's a shit show. Still, top-3 game of all time for me.

Reactions: evilstanley
Sep 19, 2008
WoW was supposed to be the game that "got you hooked" and I do have a few urges to return but haven't purchased Legion or the new expansion.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
WoW was supposed to be the game that "got you hooked" and I do have a few urges to return but haven't purchased Legion or the new expansion.
It is that game, but only if you have a guild you can play/raid with and associate. As a PUG-type player, I'd never play it.
My current guild only does Heroic content and raids 1-2 times a week. It's perfect for me and we managed to do everything in "Curve" time. Right now the guild is on hiatus until Battle for Azeroth.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's pretty wild how high the subs still are when you consider that basically the entire PvP player base quit because of how badly they've destroyed PvP over the past few expansions.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
Wow is life. Sometimes life sucks, but it has its moments!

It's the only game for me. Sure i dick around in others, but nothing comes close! There's no other game i'd like to share more than wow. Made friends, became a better person, tapped into leadership and communication skills. Played at decent levels throughout the years, both pve and pvp, i'm now a lore buff. Fifteen years laters, sure it doesn't look great on a resumé, but honestly, i'm still having these incredible moments in game, be it wrecking faces or dropping phat lewts.

I'm in alpha right now, it's just about B4A time!

Wow is life, i tell ya! =P

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I have been playing WoW for a long time :laugh: sure we've broken up sometimes but I'm always there with the exception of late Cata and entirety of Pandas.
It's a fun game and there is a lot to do really. I am on a raid team and do a lot of fun events with my guild so it makes it even better when you have a community of players who also enjoy playing. It has helped me be a better communicator and team person in a way too.

Excited for BFA

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I played from day one until my first child was born, I was hooked bad and did not want to be one of those guys on Vent/teamspeak trying to raid with the baby crying in the background. It always saddened me to hear that so often, the addiction was real for so many, including myself. They day my son was born I left the hospital went home and said my goodbyes and canceled my account, 3 and 1/2 years with way too many hours into 4 maxed out characters, 2 of them raid geared. I do still miss it sometimes, I have never found another game that has grabbed me like that since. But like a person who has quit a bad habit I refuse to play again scared of it. My kid is 10 now lol and its crazy to think its been that long since I can still remember some of the other players and places.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
As for Diablo II, I always played hardcore only. I reached 99 as a HC Meteorb Sorc with max block, full resists and lightning absorb. I also reached lvl 95 playing Classic HC as a Sorc. Builds of course changed during the years, much like where you would grind your exp. Back when Cows were the way to go, I was a Nova Sorc. Remember now, there was no re-specs - you want to play something else, make a new character.
That game became unplayable when TPPK/Townkill hacks became widely used. You cannot play that game in HC anymore in public games. I tried in the summer of 2016. It's a **** show. Still, top-3 game of all time for me.

That is the beauty of the game, no respecs, tons of viable character builds, loot system was built perfectly....

Countless hours of watching Baal's HP bar go down, getting a slight server glitch, then just spamming mouse clicking and praying you got something (unless you were hacking), what a f***ing high man.

Not to mention, if you died right when HP bar was below 10%, you were f***ing holding your breath you could make it in the portal and grab you corpse before he dies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
That is the beauty of the game, no respecs, tons of viable character builds, loot system was built perfectly....

Countless hours of watching Baal's HP bar go down, getting a slight server glitch, then just spamming mouse clicking and praying you got something (unless you were hacking), what a ****ing high man.

Not to mention, if you died right when HP bar was below 10%, you were ****ing holding your breath you could make it in the portal and grab you corpse before he dies.
I just don't get that rush when I play softcore man. The whole idea of progress would be so different with a stupid glass cannon spec and with no real penalty of f***ing up. That's why it was always and always will be HC for me.
Sadly you just can't play HC anymore unless you have a group of friends who can also sandbox another toon there to fill the game.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
This game is still the standard for me. I haven't played it for the last 5+ years, but when it launched I had no MMO experience prior and it took me by storm. The game transformed my taste in gaming genres. Since WoW I have not been able to play single player games for too long. I get bored. I just need that same multiplayer experience that I've had in the early Vanilla Wow days. The planned pulls, the CC, the tactical stuff... brings back the memories. They have dumbed the game down too much for me to enjoy it now.. way too easy. But ya, the game was the bomb for me at the time and also got others hooked just as bad which they ironically thank me for since. MMO's have come and gone since WoW launched, but nothing really compares. Failed carbon copies, and crap mmo's with micro tansactions ruined the genre for me now. So i've moved onto survival games at the moment. Conan Exiles has me hook line and sinker these days after spending about 2000 hrs on Ark.

Sep 19, 2008
It is that game, but only if you have a guild you can play/raid with and associate. As a PUG-type player, I'd never play it.
My current guild only does Heroic content and raids 1-2 times a week. It's perfect for me and we managed to do everything in "Curve" time. Right now the guild is on hiatus until Battle for Azeroth.

Just seeing this now and I slightly agree. I played like once every 6 or 7 months so when I came back my guild kicked me out :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Can someone teach me how to play, now that you can party up across servers? lol I have a bunch of characters of different level, but I'm awful.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm 14 years late to the party, but I started playing for the first time yesterday. Figured the new expansion would have a lot of new and returning folks playing the game again. For Vets, is there any reason to be in a guild before hitting max level? I don't ever see people advertising (although I've been in the beginner zones almost exclusively) anywhere for guilds. Its it more of a thing for just grouping for endgame raids?

It'd be nice to join a guild just to have some conversation going on while questing. Side note, I usually hate PvE questing in MMOs, but have quite enjoyed the experience so far in WoW (level 21 approx at the moment).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm super tempted to dip my toes back into the waters with this expansion, and hope I don't get sucked under too far....

I'm 14 years late to the party, but I started playing for the first time yesterday. Figured the new expansion would have a lot of new and returning folks playing the game again. For Vets, is there any reason to be in a guild before hitting max level? I don't ever see people advertising (although I've been in the beginner zones almost exclusively) anywhere for guilds. Its it more of a thing for just grouping for endgame raids?

It'd be nice to join a guild just to have some conversation going on while questing. Side note, I usually hate PvE questing in MMOs, but have quite enjoyed the experience so far in WoW (level 21 approx at the moment).

I played pretty hard from release until Mists of Pandaria, but haven't played since then.

Back in the day, a guild served the purpose of the main means of getting to see end game content. Being a total goofball, I wasn't really interested in that stuff and used it to make friends in the game (that I still talk to what, 13-14 years later?). I'm guessing that's still the main purpose?

I never really raided much outside of the 10 man raids until LFR came out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I didn't join a guild in WoW until I was nearly at the level cap, but I realized when I did that it would've made things easier, since guilds give you a "family" to call upon to quest with. There are lots of quests that you either can't do alone or are a lot safer to do with others. If you have a quest that you need help with or would just like company for, you can ask your guild if anyone is up to join you. One or a few people might join because they need to do the quest, themselves, or they may help just because they're bored and like you. This means that you don't have to solicit help from strangers and you'll be sure that they'll share the loot (or else they'd get in trouble with the guild). Of course, you can always just make friends on your own, but there are usually also lots of times when you're online and your friends aren't, and asking your guild if anyone wants to join you beats standing around and advertising to strangers that you're looking for companions for a certain quest.

You may want to find a guild that's relatively young and full of players who are still leveling up, like you. Older guilds are probably focused on raiding, and though they'll still have players leveling up new characters, it's not as fun to quest with people who have seen everything in the game and know exactly what's around every corner and how to defeat every monster. Questing with people playing for the first time, like you, would probably be a lot more fun.

BTW, I should probably mention that I haven't played WoW in 13 years, but I doubt that anything that I've said would be any different nowadays.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
BFA a few days away. Always like expansion days because it’s new content for everyone and it brings some of the sense of community back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad