WOW: OHL suspends 2 for 15 games...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've heard multiple stories about guys on various social sites, not just Tinder. It's an underlying issue in society that makes the general male population look horrible.

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON
I've heard multiple stories about guys on various social sites, not just Tinder. It's an underlying issue in society that makes the general male population look horrible.

Oh there are plenty of them. Made me feel bad for the good guys that I know do exist.

I'm not trying to be all women's power here or anything, I realize that there are girls that are shallow and go for hockey players just for the status. They make good honest girls look bad. However, without actually knowing the girls involved in this story, no one can really make a judgement as to their intentions. Not that their intention is really relevant, IMO no one deserves to ever have insults hurled at them, especially when it comes from a belief of entitlement or status over the victim. How is this any different than disparaging comments a player would make to a teammate/fan/opponent regarding their race, religion or family's wealth? It's not!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Oh there are plenty of them. Made me feel bad for the good guys that I know do exist.

It's definitely strange for those in the minority. In my line of work, it's assumed I'm a certain way. I've been in this line of work for eight years and people still assume it. When I laugh and say it's never been the case, they're shocked.

Last edited:

jughead42*

I'm not trying to be all women's power here or anything, I realize that there are girls that are shallow and go for hockey players just for the status. They make good honest girls look bad. However, without actually knowing the girls involved in this story, no one can really make a judgement as to their intentions. Not that their intention is really relevant, IMO no one deserves to ever have insults hurled at them, especially when it comes from a belief of entitlement or status over the victim. How is this any different than disparaging comments a player would make to a teammate/fan/opponent regarding their race, religion or family's wealth? It's not!

Yes, I can make judgements on their intentions because screen caps of the conversations found their way to the league office when the conversations didn't go as well as they hoped. Intentions are pretty clear, this is a blatant stab at wounding two men's careers. In my 40 years I've had far too many uncomfortable, disagreeable conversations to count. You know what I do? I stop talking to the and go on with my life. These players didn't commit a crime, they had text conversations on their private cell phones where they insulted some girls. Whoop de doo! For some reason in todays era of social justice and hypocrisy that is now reason to derail a career? Come on, time to put on the big girl pants, get over the fact you were called a few names and move on with your quest to find a hockey player to date who won't be an asswipe to you. We need to stop policing how people think, there's more important problems in the world than a couple of princesses who were called names by a hockey player. Grow up.

Tonester01

Sep 30, 2012
Yes, I can make judgements on their intentions because screen caps of the conversations found their way to the league office when the conversations didn't go as well as they hoped. Intentions are pretty clear, this is a blatant stab at wounding two men's careers. In my 40 years I've had far too many uncomfortable, disagreeable conversations to count. You know what I do? I stop talking to the and go on with my life. These players didn't commit a crime, they had text conversations on their private cell phones where they insulted some girls. Whoop de doo! For some reason in todays era of social justice and hypocrisy that is now reason to derail a career? Come on, time to put on the big girl pants, get over the fact you were called a few names and move on with your quest to find a hockey player to date who won't be an asswipe to you. We need to stop policing how people think, there's more important problems in the world than a couple of princesses who were called names by a hockey player. Grow up.

Wow, what a dinosaur.

StormLifer

Jan 7, 2013
Ariss, ON

We aren't policing the way people think....last time I checked we can't read people's thoughts. It's when people act on and verbalize those thoughts that other people get involved. Hell I've had lots of thoughts about you from this discussion but I'm not about to go on some meaningless rant at you and throw out a bunch of insults. It's not worth it, you are so obviously missing the moral issue at hand.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON

Ask Donald Sterling how his private conversation full of nasty words ended. With him losing his NBA team.

It's kind of pathetic to suggest that the girls should just accept being called the names they are, because they were on a dating site.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Yes, I can make judgements on their intentions because screen caps of the conversations found their way to the league office when the conversations didn't go as well as they hoped. Intentions are pretty clear, this is a blatant stab at wounding two men's careers. In my 40 years I've had far too many uncomfortable, disagreeable conversations to count. You know what I do? I stop talking to the and go on with my life. These players didn't commit a crime, they had text conversations on their private cell phones where they insulted some girls. Whoop de doo! For some reason in todays era of social justice and hypocrisy that is now reason to derail a career? Come on, time to put on the big girl pants, get over the fact you were called a few names and move on with your quest to find a hockey player to date who won't be an you. We need to stop policing how people think, there's more important problems in the world than a couple of princesses who were called names by a hockey player. Grow up.

Blaming the victims. Lovely.

How dare they not expect to be verbally abused?

Honest to ****...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Blaming the victims. Lovely.

How dare they not expect to be verbally abused?

Honest to ****...

Charlie some people's point of view is unchangeable when they are set in their ways.It has nothing to do with the careers of hockey players. Only one percent make it in hockey. It's about having an established moral code that each player agrees to follow. The players that got nailed were used as an example to send a message to the rest of the league that this kind of abuse will not be tolerated with in the league. Next time I would bet a player will be banned at least a season. The league gets painted with enough black eyes and it's nice to see them react to these issues in a proper manner.

Charlie some people's point of view is unchangeable when they are set in their ways.It has nothing to do with the careers of hockey players. Only one percent make it in hockey. It's about having an established moral code that each player agrees to follow. The players that got nailed were used as an example to send a message to the rest of the league that this kind of abuse will not be tolerated with in the league. Next time I would bet a player will be banned at least a season. The league gets painted with enough black eyes and it's nice to see them react to these issues in a proper manner.
Exactly.

Again..Don't want to be judged and made an example of..don't give the ammunition to be judged and made an example of.

jughead42*

We aren't policing the way people think....last time I checked we can't read people's thoughts. It's when people act on and verbalize those thoughts that other people get involved. Hell I've had lots of thoughts about you from this discussion but I'm not about to go on some meaningless rant at you and throw out a bunch of insults. It's not worth it, you are so obviously missing the moral issue at hand.

Yes, when you're pushing your own morality on others and punishing people for violations of that morality, you're policing how they think. The behavior of these men is a question of morality, and the OHL forcing it's definition of morality on its players very clearly. It's probably very tough for you white nights and liberal sad sacks to accept, but misogyny is not a crime. Ooooooh, that's gotta be tough for you to accept, but its true. Yes, I'm a dinosaur if by dinosaur you mean somebody who comes from an era when having a shred of personal freedom over your thoughts is something worth preserving at the cost of a couple girls delicate feelings being hurt. You are all acting like you've never insulted somebody you've had a disagreement with, and its preposterous.

As far as you having lots of thoughts about me from this discussion, if you had any integrity you'd say how you feel which is what an adult should have no fear of doing. If you shared those opinions of me, I would disagree, share some of my opinions of you that you would disagree with, then we'd move on with our lives. We wouldn't go running to each others employers to have each other punished for being mean. Am I right? Now go ahead and call me victim blamer for saying so, but that is also preposterous because those girls weren't victims of anything. Saying these girls are victims for having a couple nasty words texted at them is an insult to every woman who has ever been beaten by a man. Thats a victim. These princesses are just want some of that luscious attention for themselves and it doesn't apply here, sorry it doesnt'.

Last edited by a moderator:

jughead42*

Ask Donald Sterling how his private conversation full of nasty words ended. With him losing his NBA team.

It's kind of pathetic to suggest that the girls should just accept being called the names they are, because they were on a dating site.

So, if I insult you what is your course of action? Are you going to report me to the mods so my account can be suspended or are you going to report me to my boss so that my job can be suspended? Hmmm. Interesting, you'd talk to a mod. So, what exactly were these girls doing again? Pretty sure Tinder has a process to report abusive users, but that wasn't satisfactory for these girls for some reason. The method in place to deal with this situation wasn't good enough, they needed to seek out the players employers to exact vengeance. Because that is what this is about, vengeance, not justice. And you are supporting the vengeance.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
misogyny is not a crime.

Of course not, and these players aren't in jail. They were suspended from playing a game. A little perspective is a good thing.

These princesses are just want some of that luscious attention for themselves and it doesn't apply here, sorry it doesnt'.

Yes, every girl grows up dreaming of being called disgusting names and verbally abused. I'm pretty sure that's page 32 of the girls handbook, right below "dress like a tramp and you deserve to get *****".

You can try to justify it all you like. Doesn't change the fact that these two players acted like *******s. Did the league come down hard on them? You bet. Will the next player choose to act like that? Bet not. The players brought the OHL into the conversation, not the girls.

jughead42*

Of course not, and these players aren't in jail. They were suspended from playing a game. A little perspective is a good thing.

Yes, every girl grows up dreaming of being called disgusting names and verbally abused. I'm pretty sure that's page 32 of the girls handbook, right below "dress like a tramp and you deserve to get *****".

You can try to justify it all you like. Doesn't change the fact that these two players acted like *******s. Did the league come down hard on them? You bet. Will the next player choose to act like that? Bet not. The players brought the OHL into the conversation, not the girls.

Yes, perspective is a good thing, and they are having their careers put on hold and a chance at their futures suffering because they called somebody a name. Perspective please, we certainly need it.

The attention I was referring to, was the attention coming from playing the victim card. Make no mistake about it, if they didn't want attention the league doesn't get a screen cap of the private conversation let alone a Toronto Star reporter. I'd wager they regret it after seeing the impact on the players, because i'm sure they aren't horrible people for taking their grievance a step too far. They were probably angry when it happened I'm sure.

Now don't claim I am justifying what these guys did or even condone it. I'm merely trying to rationalize the penalty for doing something (insulting a person) that everyone has done before and everyone has had done to them before. Most people realize that they are words, and one moron's opinion. Feel free to think that of my words, I won't report you to anybody for it. ;)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Jug your missing the point of this whole exercise. The players agreed to follow a league imposed moral code which they broke. Whether anyone thinks the code of conduct is right or wrong has no bearing on the facts at hand. The said players got caught in the act. They accepted their punishment apologized and moved on. The OHL is a premier league. If a player makes it to this level it's considered quite an accomplishment. To call it a career is incorrect. Three or four years is not a career. A very small percentage move on to make a living out of hockey. You are correct in saying we are all guilty of making derogatory comments at one time or another but that doesn't mean we were right. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that OHL players got suspended for breaking a code of conduct.

Last edited:

JSavoire

May 28, 2011

I've also heard multiple stories about females on various social sites, not just Tinder. It's an underlying issue in society that makes the general female population look horrible.

It actually flows both ways believe it or not. Suggesting that only males are making unflattering comments is absolutely untrue.

Again, this is not about whether these comments deserved punishment but rather the degree of punishment made outside of an OHL venue or event and by comments that weren't public. 15 games was ludicrous and was made entirely to abate any media backlash.

Think about this, if these types of comments were made between two males there would be no suspension at all.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Jsavoire: The difference is the guys who acted like jerks are, like it or not, representatives of the teams they play for. As such, they're held to a higher standard(Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" statement notwithstanding).

Just one more thing: As to your last sentence, the next person that comes out of the closet in major junior hockey will be the first.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Jsavoire: The difference is the guys who acted like jerks are, like it or not, representatives of the teams they play for. As such, they're held to a higher standard(Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" statement notwithstanding).

Just one more thing: As to your last sentence, the next person that comes out of the closet in major junior hockey will be the first.

Pretty sure he didn't mean a sexual conversion resulting in insults between two male but rather a text conversation where they insult each other to the degree similar to these ones.

Even if the player had said something worse towards another male (even racial abuse) it likely wouldn't have made as much if any news at all. The male-female dynamic plays a large part in why it became as big of an issue as it has.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Look at it this way. These guys are representatives of the organization and the league. What they do on and off the ice represents the team and the OHL. This situation is no different than someone who takes the company van home and gives another driver the finger or someone wearing a company uniform at McDonalds during lunch and swearing because he asked for no ketchup on his Big Mac.

There is a way to behave and a way not to behave when you are representing an organization.. these guys are a lesson in how not to behave and will pay the price.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Otto hit the nail on the head precisely. The punishment the players got has absolutely no bearing on the fact that males or females post on various sites. The players sign a moral code unlike the rest of the population. They broke it and gave the league reason to respond which they did and the players excepted their punishment. OHL players are a big part of their communities. They are expected to act a certain way. There is a ton of pressure on these young men with school, hockey and community commitments but its all part of being a player in this league. Whether we agree or disagree with how the league handles these issues I certainly would not want to be the next player caught.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Code of conduct doesn't even need to exist. In the real world you don't need a code of conduct to deal with someone representing your company who is being an asshat. Common sense should tell you that when you're driving the company van that you don't flip the bird to someone and when you are in the public eye (like an OHL player) you don't make derogatory comments.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Code of conduct doesn't even need to exist. In the real world you don't need a code of conduct to deal with someone representing your company who is being an asshat. Common sense should tell you that when you're driving the company van that you don't flip the bird to someone and when you are in the public eye (like an OHL player) you don't make derogatory comments.
In all honesty when I look back into my past (turning 60 this yr) I can honestly say that at no time in my life would I ever think of talking this way to a person let alone a woman. I suspect that's the case with a vast majority of us and any code of conduct is just needed for ones who just missed out on some evolution gene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad