Wow 7-0 Canada ( women ) > Russia at the end of the first period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Jon Prescription said:
Well, you have one incredibally dominant team (Canada) running up the score constantly on their first two games.

And another equally as dominant team (US) not running up the score at all in either of their games so far even though they have had ample opportunity and have just chosen to play the dump and chase card for most of the game.

You tell me who you think is at least following the honor and tradition of the Olympics.

How exactly do you know that the scores were run up? I mean, what if Canada is just playing much better than the US, against teams inferior to the US?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Injektilo said:
How exactly do you know that the scores were run up? I mean, what if Canada is just playing much better than the US, against teams inferior to the US?

Are you kidding? Canada never let up the offense. The US is at least just throwing the puck down left and right and isn't comming even close to the continual pouring on that Canada has so far.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Jon Prescription said:
Are you kidding? Canada never let up the offense. The US is at least just throwing the puck down left and right and isn't comming even close to the continual pouring on that Canada has so far.

No, Canada never let up, but they weren't going all out to score either, they made sure that all their chances were the product of playing smart team hockey. no individual end to end rushes or anything like that. They worked at creating chances in the offensive zone, and scored on a bunch of them. I'd be willing to bet that they're just following their coaches ploints for things to work on.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
That's a two sided thing also...

Canada is continuing playing and that way the other team is getting a lesson, it's up to them to learn from it. Sure there's a point where it crosses the line and becomes just humiliating, but where is that point? The only way to become good is by playing against good opponents.

USA on the other hand stops playing and that could be thought as disrespecting the opponent. On top of that, the other team is not really learning anything by playing against a team who's stopped even trying.

To me it seems that the teams are just approaching it with different philosophies.

IcedTea

Sep 29, 2005
Jon Prescription said:
You tell me who you think is at least following the honor and tradition of the Olympics.
I think that the athletes that are trying their best are the ones doing what is right. If trying their best means beating someone else... that's too bad. If the Olympics were all about having fun or being a good sport there would be no point in having medals.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Jon Prescription said:

You surely did not see the two Canadian games. And you certainly have no idea what you're talking about.
Against Russia it was 7 goals in the first period, 2 in the second and 3 in the third.
Canada did not pour it on.
Does your opinion about the Canadian women have anything to do with what happened in Vancouver by chance? :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fact of the matter is that Canada is so far ahead of the pack from everyone else it's unreal, except the USA and maybe Finland. Thus far Finland is the only team that has shown capable as keeping up with Canada and USA.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Pfff! Women's Hockey! I'd rather watch bantam boys hockey than that league. The Olympics really begin when the men arrive.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pathfinder said:
You surely did not see the two Canadian games. And you certainly have no idea what you're talking about.
Against Russia it was 7 goals in the first period, 2 in the second and 3 in the third.
Canada did not pour it on.
Does your opinion about the Canadian women have anything to do with what happened in Vancouver by chance? :dunno:

No it really doesn't, because I'm more or less watching the hockey part of the Olympics for the simple fun in it. I'm not even rooting for the US in anything hockey. Yeah, it'd be nice for them to win but I more would rather watch them win in skiing and bobsled and speed skating, among other things.

Was it Vancouver with the disgraceful ref who tried to throw the game to the US or was that SLC?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
SammyTheBull said:
Does someone have a prescription to fill? :sarcasm:

I'm all for running up the score. :clap:

Then that's pretty disrespectful of the other teams, don't you think? Why not go the extra mile and just hurt the other teams with cheap shots as well?

:shakehead

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Fact of the matter is that Canada is so far ahead of the pack from everyone else it's unreal, except the USA and maybe Finland. Thus far Finland is the only team that has shown capable as keeping up with Canada and USA.

Maybe what they should do is just take all the female players sticks put them in at center ice and throw them to make teams.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
The Canadian coach was interviewed following the game against Russia and was asked about the scoring. She supports a change in the rules that stops counting goals at a certain point. She believes the rules need to be changed that decide standings other than GF and GA. Until then it's difficult to decide what's enough. She referred to it as growing pains in the sport which will eventually be corrected.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jon Prescription said:

Well then the US isn't that smart, goals for and against count in this tournament, so you should never let up.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Pathfinder said:
The Canadian coach was interviewed following the game against Russia and was asked about the scoring. She supports a change in the rules that stops counting goals at a certain point. She believes the rules need to be changed that decide standings other than GF and GA. Until then it's difficult to decide what's enough. She referred to it as growing pains in the sport which will eventually be corrected.

If they want to develop the game better why don't they just have a tournament every year where you divide Canada into 3 teams(East, West and Ontario), the US into 2 Team(East and West) and invite a couple other teams. This way it evens out the playing field a bit, allows more women to comepete at a higher level and will help the development of lower end teams not getting blown out as much.

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
I'd rather lose 16-0 than lose 5-0 and knowing the opponent didn't try as hard as he could because he thought I couldn't beat him ...

At least, they could try to score a goal or something, achieve some kind of goals if they know the other team is still doing their best ... Try to stop Canada for a period, whatever. But, if they're sitting on their lead, what's the point of playing 60 minutes?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
baston said:
I'd rather lose 16-0 than lose 5-0 and knowing the opponent didn't try as hard as he could because he thought I couldn't beat him ...

At least, they could try to score a goal or something, achieve some kind of goals if they know the other team is still doing their best ... Try to stop Canada for a period, whatever. But, if they're sitting on their lead, what's the point of playing 60 minutes?

Let's just say that I and most other people most likely would completely disagree with the losing 16-0 vs losing 5-0 aspect...

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Jon Prescription said:
Then that's pretty disrespectful of the other teams, don't you think? Why not go the extra mile and just hurt the other teams with cheap shots as well?

:shakehead

Sorry Jack Johnson's not in any of our lineups. :help:

And running up the score is important in the Olympics for home ice advantage :)

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
SammyTheBull said:
Sorry Jack Johnson's not in any of our lineups. :help:

And running up the score is important in the Olympics for home ice advantage :)

Although Canada pretty much has that now. given that they've scored 17 more goals then the US.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Jon Prescription said:
Oh, great. Let's back off after 10 goales. What a nice thing to do.

They really need to take away this Pejorative Slured GF/GA rule because it enables classless acts like this to happen which completely undermines the Olympic spirit and tradition.

These posts make me sick and show me exactly how backward thinking some people are. Hockey is a 60 minute sport, you are supposed to play hard for 60 minutes no matter the score. If you really want to disrespect a team, then stop trying against them, go out and play your 4th liners and play keep away with the puck.

Now thats showing a lack of sportsmanship, not allowing the other team a lesson in elite hockey play. Not allowing the other team to learn how to get better and basicly just mocking them for not being up to the other teams standards. Hogwash, poor sportsmanship would be jumping over the bench to celebrate the 12th goal of the game. Or laughing at the other team. No, they are playing hard for 60 minutes which will be an example for the newer womens hockey teams on how to compete.

Look at the Italy game, everyone knew it would be a rout but people watched. And even if it brought in 2 or 3 little girls wanting to be hockey players and learn the game, then Italy might have lost the battle but not the war. We have demeaned womens sports for so long, comparing them to mens sports that a lot of young ladies are not interested in even trying because they will be made fun of by ignorant people like some on these boards. Right now for teams like Italy and Russia they are not trying to compete against Canada or the States but are learning the game, investing time in making womens hockey interesting to the 10 and 11 year old girls. And eventually the gap will get smaller and smaller.

If they wanted to have no 18-0 games then they should have a mercy rule after a 10 goal lead, but they don't. Do not blame the Canadian or the American teams for being good but blame people like yourself for holding down sports like this in the newer countries and making fun of the team. Everyone needs to start somewhere and in 20 years I'm sure it will be a battle to even finish in the bronze metal game.

As long as they shake hands when the game is over and do not resort to dirty play, then I fail to see a lack of sportsmanship anywhere in these 2 games

Vic Rattlehead*

Jon Prescription said:
Was it Vancouver with the disgraceful ref who tried to throw the game to the US or was that SLC?

It was SLC where the American ref kept giving penelties to Canada (more than half the calls were bogus).

Yureeka47*

I am Russian and i honestly could NOT care less that they lost. Womens hockey is a joke.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
Well, you have one incredibally dominant team (Canada) running up the score constantly on their first two games.

And another equally as dominant team (US) not running up the score at all in either of their games so far even though they have had ample opportunity and have just chosen to play the dump and chase card for most of the game.

A lot of those American dump-ins must have been right on net because they had 60 shots against the Germans.

Canada, meanwhile, had 43 shots against Russia.

mug3n

Jan 15, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
NataSatan666 said:
And eventually the gap will get smaller and smaller.
The gap won't close. Not for a long time. Probably never. The Swiss, Russians, and others may catch up, but Canada/US isn't going to sit around and wait for them to play on their level. They'll get better at the same time. Unless these countries start pulling Canadians or Americans to coach their national teams, this gap will stay as wide as ever. Even having North American coaches will only help narrow the gap a slight bit. Canada and the US will always be leagues ahead at this rate. The other teams are just going to cycle between Division I and II hockey for a long, long time.

The interest factor in women's hockey is just not there, hence lack of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->