Would you watch a televised women's league?

Would you watch a televised women's league on a regular basis

• Yes

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 140 78.7%
  • Add checking and I'm in!!

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 30 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not interested in watching much beyond NHL so I don't see why i'd watch a women only league.
I thought it was cool how Tampa had a lady play in net for a few games and I really feel like Wickenheiser was just a tiny notch away from making it in the NHL.
I'd be more than happy to see women share the ice in the NHL with men.
It's just a matter of time till we have a woman that's good enough. Maybe 10 or 20 years but it'll eventually happen on day.
That I'll praise till the cows come home.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not interested in watching much beyond NHL so I don't see why i'd watch a women only league.
I thought it was cool how Tampa had a lady play in net for a few games and I really feel like Wickenheiser was just a tiny notch away from making it in the NHL.
It's just a matter of time till we have a woman that's good enough. Maybe 10 or 20 years but it'll eventually happen on day.

With the game getting as fast as it is, I just don’t see woman being able to compete. I’d love to be wrong but physically the game is progressing to a point that is just beyond a woman’s body IMO.

NHL’ers are faster and stronger than ever before and becoming faster and stronger every offseason. We don’t need to get into the whole men vs woman’s body debate either because everyone knows men’s bodies are just built differently. The way the game is progressing, I think it’s less likely we’d ever see a woman be good enough.

There are 4th liners in the league right now that get roasted when stuck out against the wrong opposing line and it’s not like many of them are slugs anymore.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
No, and one will never be viable. There will be robots in a televised hockey league before there is a womens league (there won't ever be).

Reactions: EdJovanovski

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Basically people who answer "yes" but don't make any effort to watch it when it's not on TV would watch any garbage on TV just because it's airing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
She was barely good enough for a Finnish semi-pro league. Not trying to diminish her accomplishments, she was the best in her field, but that is really, really, really far from the NHL.

Women Olympic teams lose to 15-year-old AA and AAA teams in warm-ups for major tournaments. I'd honestly be curious about what would happen results wise if you stuck the top female player in the world in a CHL league for a year. I'm pretty sure even at that level they would be somewhat overwhelmed by the pace of play and strength of the opposing players.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
She was barely good enough for a Finnish semi-pro league. Not trying to diminish her accomplishments, she was the best in her field, but that is really, really, really far from the NHL.

Women Olympic teams lose to 15-year-old AA and AAA teams in warm-ups for major tournaments. I'd honestly be curious about what would happen results wise if you stuck the top female player in the world in a CHL league for a year. I'm pretty sure even at that level they would be somewhat overwhelmed by the pace of play and strength of the opposing players.

Poulin is probably one of the top players in women’s hockey right now but even playing against women I can see she just doesn’t have the speed, acceleration, hands or strength to compete at that level, let alone the NHL.

It’s really not a knock to her as a player at all, she’s probably my favourite women’s player but men and women’s bodies are just too different in so many ways. Her shot would not be able to beat a goalie from the top of the circles.

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018

The big problem I see besides the no checking is outside of the USA - Canada matchup would there be any interest. USA - Canada anything hockey is gonna draw interest but its just one match up

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Honestly, If the games were on before the NHL games I watch, I would likely occasionally check in when I could. If it was trying to do prime time games at the same times as other events I enjoy it would take a back seat.

So it depends when and on what channel.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Personally I don't see any reason to watch inferior leagues (which includes this, AHL, European leagues, etc.) unless you're specifically from that city or have some other connection.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I love women's hockey with the international rivalry between Canada - USA. There have been a lot of absolute classic games.

But hockey is a saturated market. I don't watch 90% of the NHL hockey that's on, I don't follow the CHL or AHL closely either. The attention that I do pay to those leagues is centred around their interactions with the Leafs. When there's already so much out there that I don't even have a fraction of the time possible to follow, nor do I care to, I don't think I would really have any interest in a women's league.

I'd love for a women's league to be successful, but I think that it is unlikely to be successful grabbing my attention. That doesn't mean it can't be viable, however. My partner, mother, and sister don't watch any hockey and if you could capture their attention somehow, you might have a viable business on your hands. Asking the die-hards for a competitor if they'd switch their allegiance isn't always a great predictor of success.

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
Personally I don't see any reason to watch inferior leagues (which includes this, AHL, European leagues, etc.) unless you're specifically from that city or have some other connection.

My son and I have season tickets to WHL team. Its alot of fun. And cheap. 40 bucks puts you on the glass. Arena nice too. Holds 10,000 and sells out.

Reactions: jetsforever

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Olympics only. Maybe the gold medal game at the World Championships.

Edit: Oops. I didn't read the thread title correctly. Answer is no.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, and it's not sexist just facts.

They are not as strong, fast or skilled as men. I don't care if snowflakes are offended by objective truths, but males are far superior athletes and significantly stronger. And this is true across almost all species.

That is the single reason why male athletes get paid more and why their games are televised. It draws a much larger crowd and is just a better product.

That being said it's still very important to show our girls they can play/compete and i'm all for a womens league, just don't expect the same type of talent/money to go with it. Once again, not sexist just a harsh truth.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The highest that Wickenheiser got was 10 games in the 2nd highest Finnish league, and she was scoreless.

She also played 12 games in a third tier Swedish league and 21 games in a third tier Finnish league and scored 2 goals and 7 points in those 33 combined games.

She was a lot more than a tiny notch away from making the NHL.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If the WNBA can’t succeed, how do people think a women’s hockey league will succeed. Now isn’t the time to worry about growing the female fan base, we need to grow hockey in general before we worry about that. Women’s hockey (or sports in general) just really isn’t profitable. The WNBA is getting a reputation for being the annoying little sister of the NBA and women’s hockey is starting to do the same. It keeps getting shoved down our throat and there really isn’t a big enough demand for it. Imagine the NBA having a random women’s game in the middle of their all star game, and modifying the actual rules just so the product looks better? It looks desperate, which is the NHL’s marketing strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->