Would you try Poehling on the wing in the top 9?

Would you try Poehling on the wing in the top 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So far, Poehling has only been tried at center in the preseason.

MB said he's fine with Poehling playing the 4c if he's getting 10-12 minutes a night.

But if Poehling shows he's making a difference offensively, would you move him into the top 9 on the wing?

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
you could merge both "no" options into one IMHO...

by the way, we've been in desperate need of a big, speedy C for decades... why on earth would you want to move him to wing???

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Here is what I would do based on the current climate- I would play him at 3rd line center and have Kotkaniemi start in Laval. I know it sounds unpopular but I think Kotkaniemi needs big minutes playing on the top line in Laval. He needs to be groomed for becoming a top line center.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
When im looking his game, he could be efficient on wing. He is always chasing the puck. I mean. Why not try him on wing? He could be a big winger what we doesnt have.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
What I see is a great "high IQ" 2-way center with a combination of strength and speed. I'd do what's best for the team long term instead of a useless "win-now" kind of move and groom him as a center. Be it in Laval, on the 4th or top 9 in Mtl, I don't care... but ffs leave him at center!

Last edited:
Reactions: JAPPO

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Poehling - Domi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Cousins - Weal - Armia

I’d try that. Lehkonen would benefit to not play on the top6. While Poehling is bigger and could be a nice net presence with the other two.

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
you could merge both "no" options into one IMHO...

by the way, we've been in desperate need of a big, speedy C for decades... why on earth would you want to move him to wing???
To give drouin another kick at the cat?

Reactions: dralaf

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What I see is a great "high IQ" 2-way center with a combination of strength and speed. I'd do what's best for the team long term instead of a useless "win-now" kind of move and groom him as a center. Be it in Laval, on the 4th or top 9 in Mtl, I don't care... but ffs leave him at center!
We need Poehling's power forward qualities more than another center when we have three good ones already.

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
I think the kids are defensively aware enough to play together.

I'd like to see Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki. 3 high IQ players together, they bring something different, they get along well..

Keep the Danault line together, put Drouin with Domi and Lekhonen and you can have a utility 4th line.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Poehling - Domi - Suzuki
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Cousins - Weal - Armia

I’d try that. Lehkonen would benefit to not play on the top6. While Poehling is bigger and could be a nice net presence with the other two.

No Drouin, eh?

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Here is what I would do based on the current climate- I would play him at 3rd line center and have Kotkaniemi start in Laval. I know it sounds unpopular but I think Kotkaniemi needs big minutes playing on the top line in Laval. He needs to be groomed for becoming a top line center.
My thoughts exactly.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Step 1: Fail to acquire a #1 center for 25 years

Step 2: Finally realize you need to draft them

Step 3: Draft a bunch of strong center prospects

Step 4: When it looks like they'll exceed all expectations, right off the bat in their career start playing them at wing.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Some people seem to believe that if you're moved to the wing for a couple of years, you're going to banish from your thoughts everything that made you a center.

Some people seem to believe (including our GM) that you can learn to play center at the NHL level by playing on the wing ...

Step 1: Fail to acquire a #1 center for 25 years

Step 2: Finally realize you need to draft them

Step 3: Draft a bunch of strong center prospects

Step 4: When it looks like they'll exceed all expectations, right off the bat in their career start playing them at wing.

Are you surprised though? When Danault was made our first line center at the end of the 2016-2017 season it was clear as day he would keep his spot for a long while. I called it day one. He's not going anywhere unless MB is fired. So there's just a 2nd line center spot available.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The thing that habs should do for this season if Kotka starts his gear would be

1C/Danault
2C/Kotkaniemi
3C/Poehling

and Domi on wings. and if Kotkaniemi explodes send him on 1st line or w/e just call it the first line.

As long Domi is a center in this team , we will have to put a real center on the wings. Nothing against Domi but i think he would be better on the wings.

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

That may happen.

CJ will go with who will help him win. But if KK isn't giving that much, like at the end of last year, we now have Suzuki and Poehling who can play 3c. KK would only benefit from time in Laval.

But if KK's playing like he did in the first 2/3 of the season last year, CJ will keep him up here.

If Domi somehow flounders at center, we could have 3 of our 4 centers being 20 and under (Suzuki, KK, Poehling).

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Some people seem to believe that if you're moved to the wing for a couple of years, you're going to banish from your thoughts everything that made you a center.
Exactly. Poehling isnt like Galchenyuk or KK. The latter two have never been clear cut centers in their pre-draft careers. It's just that they have tools that can be converted very well to center (vision, hands, reach, etc.). But Poehling is a natural. So it wouldnt be the same negative impact of yoyoing around someone who needs to learn. As we could see when he was in college, Poehling's got the overall game figured out already. It's the high-end part that's still a question mark.
That's why I wouldnt be opposed to see him take shifts at wing in the top-6, on scoring lines, to see if he can thrive offensively. In a few years, trade a center or move Domi to wing and put him back where he belongs. Im sure he will not forget how to play center by playing offensive hockey for a couple seasons.

Julien will love him Im pretty sure, so I think he will get playing time sooner than later.

Reactions: muzion

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Some people seem to believe (including our GM) that you can learn to play center at the NHL level by playing on the wing ...

Are you surprised though? When Danault was made our first line center at the end of the 2016-2017 season it was clear as day he would keep his sport for a long while. I called it day one. He's not going anywhere unless MB is fired. So there's just a 2nd line center spot available.
some people seem to believe that since Galchenyuk/Drouin didn't cut it as a center, the risk is the same for KK/Poehling/Suzuki...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad