Would you trade Scheifele for Eichel?

Scheifele for Eichel?

• Total voters

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
There would certainly be other interested teams. How many would be able/willing to offer a 28 YO ppg 1C in exchange? Then there are cap issues, magnified by the flat cap. Then all of the other issues being brought up here by people who say they would not do it at all. Other teams would have those same concerns.
I hear you but I just feel that the teams most likely to really go for Eichel would be the younger rebuilding teams (Det, NYR,LA, Chicago etc) with lots of cap space, prospects and draft picks to burn.

As well as the fact I think if Buffalo did trade Eichel they would be signalling a need to re do the rebuild and they would be looking more for high picks and A grad prospects. If that was the case like I assume Scheifele wouldn't really move the needle seeing as he is 28 and only signed for a few more years. It doesn't really seem to fit the mold they would be after.

For what its worth Scheif is my favourite Jet and has been since the day we drafted him. I do not want to trade him but would think long and hard about it if we ever did have a shot at Jack

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Maybe not. But the difference in what other teams would most likely offer would be Heinola and a 1st. Don't forget this trade wouldn't take place in a vacuum. There would be a lineup of teams trying to outbid each other to get a young centre talent like Eichel.

I would imagine Scheifele would be one of the best main piece offered by any team, but if it cost us FeFe, Heinola and a 1st, plus whatever else we needed to outbid team X, then count me out. Someone else can gut their team!

Reactions: Luc Labelle

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I would imagine Scheifele would be one of the best main piece offered by any team, but if it cost us FeFe, Heinola and a 1st, plus whatever else we needed to outbid team X, then count me out. Someone else can gut their team!
I totally agree.

I simply stated what I thought it would take not that I would want to do it. I highly doubt Winnipeg is Jacks type of town anyways. On the flip side he also doesn't seem to be the kind of character True North would target

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I totally agree.

I simply stated what I thought it would take not that I would want to do it. I highly doubt Winnipeg is Jacks type of town anyways. On the flip side he also doesn't seem to be the kind of character True North would target

That last sentence is all you really need to think about to put this idea to bed. Jack is kind of an ass hat. Doubt TNSE would want that kind of guy running the locker room.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I totally agree.

Agree, I would love Eichel simply for talent, age and competitiveness, but it really is a lateral move for us and really may just extend our window at best.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hear you but I just feel that the teams most likely to really go for Eichel would be the younger rebuilding teams (Det, NYR,LA, Chicago etc) with lots of cap space, prospects and draft picks to burn.

As well as the fact I think if Buffalo did trade Eichel they would be signalling a need to re do the rebuild and they would be looking more for high picks and A grad prospects. If that was the case like I assume Scheifele wouldn't really move the needle seeing as he is 28 and only signed for a few more years. It doesn't really seem to fit the mold they would be after.

For what its worth Scheif is my favourite Jet and has been since the day we drafted him. I do not want to trade him but would think long and hard about it if we ever did have a shot at Jack

I certainly don't disagree that there would be other bids. NYR, not so much, but Chi and LAK look likely to me and also DRW.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Eichel has a major attitude problem and thinks that his shit does not stink.

Don't want him here.
scheifele is coming off in a similar way now. wouldn't classify it as a major attitude problem though.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
The GM did not decimate the defense. Not even remotely close to what happened.

Buff retired. We had all known for a couple of years that that was getting close. Do you think we should have given Myers the contract Vancouver did? Of course you don't. It isn't as bad, but Chiarot got overpaid by Montreal. Do you think we should have offered as much? Do you think Chiarot was the difference maker on our D corps?

Then there was Trouba. He forced his way out. He had to go. Chevy got a replacement for him who has outperformed Trouba in the time since, so no loss there - and he also got us a very good prospective Dman.

So what else did Chevy do to "decimate" our D corps?
Five star post!

These FACTS cannot be stated often enough, because it seems that too many people still don't get it.

It was a perfect storm of bad luck and coincidence that decimated our defense two years ago, and the team supposedly has strong replacements coming up through the system, but for 2019-20 and 2020-21 they're not yet ready. As such, the Jets have done a phenomenal job just making the playoffs last year and this year.

If the new guys make it to the show in the next year or two, and end up being bad, then it's on management.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For a supposed team leader, I would say it is a major problem. The guys with the letters on their jerseys have to be held to a higher standard. His public response to the benching was disgraceful IMO.
if it continues going forward and the team (from what we see) continues to flounder, id say yes major problem.

If scheifele can be split up from wheeler he will probably change for the better.
His bromance with wheeler needs to stop and he is getting lazy.

idk, his play away from wheeler has def been better, but it's still a far-cry from his showing in the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons.

really, those 2 seasons is where he was all-around elite in almost every facet. might go down as his peak.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
idk, his play away from wheeler has def been better, but it's still a far-cry from his showing in the 16-17 and 17-18 seasons.

really, those 2 seasons is where he was all-around elite in almost every facet. might go down as his peak.

Almost certainly will have been his peak; I think we can safely say that at this point.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not ready to give up on Scheifele yet and how about we get a friggin defenseman that can pass out of our zone , play a little defense and be able to shoot the puck first.

“Another player getting great reviews for his AHL play is Winnipeg’s Ville Heinola. More than one exec’s called him the best player north of the border. ”

Reactions: Jets 31

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It wouldn't be a sidegrade. Eichel is a much better hockey player. But that is not what it would be about.

Integrity of the team? Have you been watching them lately?

There is the question of Eichel's attitude. But those bringing that up seem to be ignoring the possibility of some different attitude issues from Scheifele. Are we sure his attitude is all that much better?

The integrity of the team is not measured in the last 10 or so games. The Jets would never trade away the face of their franchise for a player that may be a tiny bit better. It’d be an awful signal to send.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The GM did not decimate the defense. Not even remotely close to what happened.

Buff retired. We had all known for a couple of years that that was getting close. Do you think we should have given Myers the contract Vancouver did? Of course you don't. It isn't as bad, but Chiarot got overpaid by Montreal. Do you think we should have offered as much? Do you think Chiarot was the difference maker on our D corps?

Then there was Trouba. He forced his way out. He had to go. Chevy got a replacement for him who has outperformed Trouba in the time since, so no loss there - and he also got us a very good prospective Dman.

So what else did Chevy do to "decimate" our D corps?

I might be in the minority but I think that Chevy should have kept Chiarot. But it’s very much possible he actually wanted to go to Montreal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Almost certainly will have been his peak; I think we can safely say that at this point.
yup. and just want to point out i mean peak in all-around play. he might have higher offensive totals. but in all-around ability he was easily a top 5-10 C in the league... now? not sure

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I might be in the minority but I think that Chevy should have kept Chiarot. But it’s very much possible he actually wanted to go to Montreal.

I like both posts as Chevy did not decimate the D however, I doubt he was blindsided by buff's departure in fact you would think he had some knowledge of the players intention cause if he did not that is bad management. Moreover, of all those guys I think Myers puck moving is missed but Chariot's grit is really missed. He would look great with Pionk. I think they should have matched Montreal's offer but here we are hoping the next gen will fill the gaping holes left on d.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
chiarot, myers were ufa. there was a chance we'd lose them. not chevy's fault entirely, but idk if we really want either players at the contract value they signed.

trouba didn't want to sign here long-term. got pionk+Heinola for him, still missing a top-pair stud RD, and morrissey is basically a shell of himself now. not much chevy could do in that one.

buff, idk where to start. who knows.

but the moves chevy made to replace these guys were basura. and maurice is doing the team no favors w/ top-pair Beau or Poolman, and Forbort continuously in a top4 role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The integrity of the team is not measured in the last 10 or so games. The Jets would never trade away the face of their franchise for a player that may be a tiny bit better. It’d be an awful signal to send.

That signal would be another issue. But the difference between Eichel and Scheifele is not tiny.

Is Scheifele the face of the franchise?

What would that signal be, exactly? That they want to win? That coasting is not good enough?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You could be right there. Chiarot got 3x3.5. DeMelo got 4x3. IMO, DeMelo is more worth it that Chiarot. He should be on our first pair with JOMO. But he is getting 3 mil to play on our 3rd pair. If we still had Chiarot, he would be getting 3.5 on our 2nd pair. I wonder what we might offer Forbort to re-sign?

Not saying I agree, but it is certainly a valid POV given those facts above.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is Scheifele the face of the franchise?

Hey, the man is Zoolander on skates. :laugh:

DpbIGRoUwAASu9m.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad