Would you trade Kessel for Patrice Bergeron straight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2010
I think Bozak would be a better checking center than Grabovski. Offensively I think Grabovski is better but not by much.

Not sure if this paints a good picture for Torontos center situation so again, Bergeron would be great here.

Id give up Gardiner and then some for him easily since no way Boston would take Kessel,

Really?
Gardiner plus? and easily at that?

Thank god you are not the TML GM.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Many Leafs fans think hes better than he is.

How so? Is it the fact(you know a real one) that he's a fantastic skater? That he has great vision and poise for someone his age? Is it the fact that his NHL team-mates even stated that he played like a seasoned NHL veteran? Please Explain.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
How so? Is it the fact(you know a real one) that he's a fantastic skater? That he has great vision and poise for someone his age? Is it the fact that his NHL team-mates even stated that he played like a seasoned NHL veteran? Please Explain.

Im trying to trick the Boston fans into taking Gardiner for Bergeron. You pressing me for reasons why isnt going to help.

I dont think his skating is all that good. Hes a glider. Just glides around. Doesnt really skate that fast. Just smooth. Difference.

He has good passing ability and a good shot.

His defence is poor.

There.

RogerRoeper*

Why did Jiggy do better after he left?

Explain that please.

Would you like to bet that Monster does better too?

He was healthy in Colorado. Besides, in his last year in Toronto, Giggy couldn't post a .900 save %, yet James Reimer post a .921 %, 6th best in the entire NHl on the exact same team.

The Monster is playing on a very good team so I do agree his numbers will be better.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He was healthy in Colorado. Besides, in his last year in Toronto, Giggy couldn't post a .900 save %, yet James Reimer post a .921 %, 6th best in the entire NHl on the exact same team.

The Monster is playing on a very good team so I do agree his numbers will be better.

James Reimer did that for like a quarter of a season. Unsustainable.

If Monster improves, then what does that tell you about the defence here in Toronto...? Think.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Im trying to trick the Boston fans into taking Gardiner for Bergeron. You pressing me for reasons why isnt going to help.

I dont think his skating is all that good. Hes a glider. Just glides around. Doesnt really skate that fast. Just smooth. Difference.

His defence is poor.

There.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Because the fans run the team?:biglaugh:

Have you ever thought that his skating is so good that it makes it look like he's just gliding? I'm sure a lot of the players that he's blown past would tell you differently.

I'd say his vision is great, it goes well with his high IQ. His shot is average, but he's still able to get it on net accurately.

His defence is probably average it could use some work, but it's not a liability, most defintiley is not poor.

Apr 1, 2010
Hmm over-rated D prospect or number one center??

Tough call here.

Over-rated D prospect????

That is rediculous.

Have you ever actually watched him?

He is top pairing D-man all day long.

And you want to trade him plus more for a Center who's 5yrs older with a history of concussion.

It's the plus more that has me intrigued.
JUst how much more would we have to add to Gardiner to get Bergeron?

RogerRoeper*

James Reimer did that for like a quarter of a season. Unsustainable.

If Monster improves, then what does that tell you about the defence here in Toronto...? Think.

It was almost half a season. And why couldn't Giggy do that at any point of the season?

The fact a rookie in Reimer posted .921 save% on the exact same team destroys your argument.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It was almost half a season. And why couldn't Giggy do that at any point of the season?

The fact a rookie in Reimer posted .921 save% on the exact same team destroys your argument.

Reimer was simply on a hot streak. Unsustainable.

THe simple fact is that Jiggy was subpar in Toronto even when healthy and then played well behind a defensive team.

I cant even believe this is an argument. The Leafs dont have bad defence? Sheeeeeesh

RogerRoeper*

His defence is poor.

There.

Wow...

RogerRoeper*

Reimer was simply on a hot streak. Unsustainable.

A half season hot streak...

The team infront of Reimer was 28th overall and headed to giving Boston a first overall pick. He turned the team around by himself.

Giggy throughout the entire season couldn't keep a 900 save %.

And you can't even believe the Leafs having bad goaltending is an argument? What planet are you on? They've had the worst goaltending in the NHL post lockout.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Over-rated D prospect????

That is rediculous.

Have you ever actually watched him?

He is top pairing D-man all day long.

And you want to trade him plus more for a Center who's 5yrs older with a history of concussion.

It's the plus more that has me intrigued.
JUst how much more would we have to add to Gardiner to get Bergeron?

Top pairing? hahahah gimme a break

WHere does that leave Rielly? Even if he has some slight potential to be a 2nd tier defender then that means Rielly plays on the 2nd pairing. I dont think so. Trade his ass.

As for the plus, no picks. Maybe a bum prospect. Maybe a bum player.

Apr 1, 2010
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Because the fans run the team?:biglaugh:

Have you ever thought that his skating is so good that it makes it look like he's just gliding? I'm sure a lot of the players that he's blown past would tell you differently.

I'd say his vision is great, it goes well with his high IQ. His shot is average, but he's still able to get it on net accurately.

His defence is probably average it could use some work, but it's not a liability, most defintiley is not poor.

4 goals in his last 2 Marlies games sure looked good.

And he is fast enough to catch 90% of the forwards in the league on the back check.

IF Bergeron had never had any injury issues I might do something straight up. But that is just because we need a #1 C so bad.

IF we're to move Gardiner for a center I would look for someone else.

Apr 1, 2010
Top pairing? hahahah gimme a break

WHere does that leave Rielly? Even if he has some slight potential to be a 2nd tier defender then that means Rielly plays on the 2nd pairing. I dont think so. Trade his ass.

As for the plus, no picks. Maybe a bum prospect. Maybe a bum player.

Rielly is not going to bump Gardiner out of a top pairing spot for a few years.

And Gardiner would be a top 2 D on most teams in the NHL. HE would look sweet with Weber now that Suter is gone.

So basically Gardiner for Bergeron straight up. A bum prospect is really worth nothing.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
4 goals in his last 2 Marlies games sure looked good.

And he is fast enough to catch 90% of the forwards in the league on the back check.

IF Bergeron had never had any injury issues I might do something straight up. But that is just because we need a #1 C so bad.

IF we're to move Gardiner for a center I would look for someone else.

Gardiner's value will most likely keep rising. Trading him away so early would be a big mistake, IMO. I don't think we'll need (or be able to afford in the long run) the services of both Gardiner, and Reilly, but I'd like to see how Reilly adjusts to the big league before making a decision on Jake.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Rielly is not going to bump Gardiner out of a top pairing spot for a few years.

And Gardiner would be a top 2 D on most teams in the NHL. HE would look sweet with Weber now that Suter is gone.

So basically Gardiner for Bergeron straight up. A bum prospect is really worth nothing.

I dont think Boston would do it. Not after you made me spill the beans on him. D'OH!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Gardiner's value will most likely keep rising. Trading him away so early would be a big mistake, IMO. I don't think we'll need (or be able to afford in the long run) the services of both Gardiner, and Reilly, but I'd like to see how Reilly adjusts to the big league before making a decision on Jake.

Possibly. Or do we throw him into the fire of an 82 game season playing big minutes with this very bad team and risk decreasing his value? Tough call. You present one side of the argument. I think his value will never be higher, just like Schenn after his rookie season (when we were offered a lottery pick)

One thing is for sure. Cant have Rielly and Jake. One or the other. A team only needs one puck mover and powerplay pointman.

Apr 1, 2010
Columbus desperately wanted Gardiner for Rick Nash.

Gardiner was the starting point for most of the big names Burke inquired about from what I understand.

No wonder he hasn't been able to bring in a #1 center. How do you trade the most exciting young D-man since Iafrate(ok maybe Kaberle)?

It has to be a very specific player.

Gardiner + for Seguin.

Gardiner + for Tavares

Gardiner + for Malkin * Serious +

Not going to move a player like that for something that isn't special.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Possibly. Or do we throw him into the fire of an 82 game season playing big minutes with this very bad team and risk decreasing his value? Tough call. You present one side of the argument. I think his value will never be higher, just like Schenn after his rookie season (when we were offered a lottery pick)

One thing is for sure. Cant have Rielly and Jake. One or the other. A team only needs one puck mover and powerplay pointman.

You should tell that to all the past Cup winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad