Would you trade Hendricks for Tootoo?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I know it wont happen because Detroit wants to shed salary but since everyone seems pretty disappointed in Hendricks would you take Toots in his place?

I dont think I would... I still think Hendricks will end up better than he has been so far.. but thought this might be fun to discuss

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I know it wont happen because Detroit wants to shed salary but since everyone seems pretty disappointed in Hendricks would you take Toots in his place?

I dont think I would... I still think Hendricks will end up better than he has been so far.. but thought this might be fun to discuss

Not a chance in hell

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Nope, not because I would rather have Hendricks but really neither belong on this team.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I would so other other teams wouldn't take cheap shots like downie and McGinn have done. If they know Tootoo is around they either have to fight him or know he's going to check one of their guys real hard.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
No Toots had his chance to stay here and got greedy. I would like to tradd Hendricks for another Nystrom like though

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Hendricks is a better hockey player than Tootoo, I'll take the better hockey player over the sideshow.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No. After the things Toots said, whether accurate or not, there would have to be some hard feelings between him and the coach. That could rub off on other players. I wish him well, but his time here is over.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I would stick with Hendricks and while he hasn't played up to what we would like to see, it is a very small sample size when looking at the big picture.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
As much as we all like to bash Hendricks, he's a reliable penalty killer and an asset to the team. Tootoo never really found a niche that would warrant the pay or ice time he is looking for.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
What did too too say?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/20/jordin-tootoo-vents-about-being-a-healthy-scratch/

“You can practice all you want, but at the end of the day it’s about playing the games and showing up and doing the right things and just being a professional about it,†Tootoo said. “For me, (expletive), you can only get bag-skated so much and mentally it’s (expletive), it’s straining, it’s frustrating.â€

“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it (expletive) burns,†Tootoo said. “After doing everything right, it just (expletive). … I’m (ticked) off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and hat’s playing the game.â€

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/20/jordin-tootoo-vents-about-being-a-healthy-scratch/

“You can practice all you want, but at the end of the day it’s about playing the games and showing up and doing the right things and just being a professional about it,†Tootoo said. “For me, (expletive), you can only get bag-skated so much and mentally it’s (expletive), it’s straining, it’s frustrating.â€

“When you get shut down and told you’re not playing, it (expletive) burns,†Tootoo said. “After doing everything right, it just (expletive). … I’m (ticked) off because I’m not able to do what I love to do and that’s playing the game.â€

So it sounds like a guy who was frustrated. Let's think about the circumstances around the situation. Play hard all year to help the team be in the playoffs and be a favorite on top of it. The team goes out and acquires guys at the deadline to take your spot on the roster of a team you helped get to that point in the season. Then get sat in the playoffs for 2 guys who put themselves above the team and stayed out past curfew. I think I'd be pretty ticked if I did everything the coach asked me to do too. If I gave my all to the team to be replaced by guys who weren't there all year busting their tails and then I'm told, hey, we're going to play these new guys, thanks for all the hard work but these guys are going to help us achieve are end goals, you bet I'd say something. People can look at it as he's being childish or it could've been handled differently but not knowing what was going on behind closed doors we come to our own conclusions without all the facts. From what his quotes are plus seeing what happened from this side of it, I have no qualms about what he said. Others obviously see it differently. I still think we miss his type of grit and being able to protect his teammates from dirty play. You think Tootoo would've let Downie walk away from him on the ice? What about McGinn? I bet neither do that with him on the bench or on the ice. The grit and sandpaper we added certainly didn't stop it happening to Jones this time in Colorado.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Only problem was, Tootoo was not doing everything the coaches asked him to. He still took bad and untimely penalties, and was a very poor decision-maker with the puck. The effort may have been there, but the expected results and performance were not. In a playoff-type situation, he was not a player worth playing when considering the risks in his game.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Note I originally said "whether accurate or not"...the reality is he mouthed off in public about the decision(s) of the coach, using much profanity in the process. He's Jordin Tootoo, professional pest--he's not an elite player and simply didn't have enough clout to pull it off. There's a reason why players are taught to say the same old thing over and over again. We gripe about the cliché'd statements but most players' jobs include sucking it up and saying those clichés, despite the circumstances. He didn't and once it's out there you can't really come back from that. He burned his bridges.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Trade Hendricks, trade for Tootoo (try to make the Wings retain a little of his salary) and try to sign Bryzgalov for $1-$1.5 million.

If Nashville can get at least a little of the old Tootoo back, then he's worth it. He'll hit, fight and get the team and crowd going. With Tootoo, Clune, Gaustad and Nystrom you would have plenty of grit. If Trotz would let them off the leash they could help stop the cheap hits.

As for Bryzgalov... if Rinne is out until January/February then I wouldn't want to ride Hutton the entire way. Tippet's system is close to Trotz's. Bryzgalov could excel and be good trade bait when Rinne returns and is 100% healthy.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
As much as we all like to bash Hendricks, he's a reliable penalty killer and an asset to the team. Tootoo never really found a niche that would warrant the pay or ice time he is looking for.
Joking aside this is the truth.

Hendricks hits, mabybe not as much as Tootoo but he does hit, he does fight and he also kills penalties, something Tootoo cannot do.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
I would do it just for the future. Tootoo does not have a 4 year contract.

I would also say Tootoo is better offensively but not defensively so really its a wash for the better player.

As for what Tootoo was saying, look at how he was treated in Detroit. I think he will be fine coming back here and having a talk with Trotz.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'd rather the roster have Tootoo than Hendricks, but it's a lesser of two evils. I'd also rather have him just to not have Hendricks for the next 4 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad