Would you trade a 1st round pick (not top 10) for another team's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Really depends on where they picks are. The difference between 11th and 31st is huge, that move back alone would probably cost a 2nd and 3rd, if not more.

Reactions: ColinM

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
No...

First rounders are quite valuable. Maybe if I get three seconds for a 20-32 pick. But teams also trade draft picks because they want to cut costs on rookie camps or because they're in straight contention mode.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
It really depends on the teams. You could be dropping anywhere from 1oa to 62, or 31 to 32. Tampa makes this deal with Detroit all day long, but Detroit wouldn't do it in a million years.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
If another pick was attached with the offer than yes. You have to get equal value for a higher pick.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nope, as tempting as it would be the statistics just don't back it up. From pick 1 on, the likelihood of getting an NHL player gets worse and worse. That being said, if you were rebuilding and had an extra late first pick, it may make sense to try and stock the farm with 3 prospects vs 1.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nope, as tempting as it would be the statistics just don't back it up. From pick 1 on, the likelihood of getting an NHL player gets worse and worse. That being said, if you were rebuilding and had an extra late first pick, it may make sense to try and stock the farm with 3 prospects vs 1.
Plus realistically of the 217 players selected in the draft only around 50 give or take make it to 200 nhl games or for goalies around 70 nhl games. Most of the first round picks get to 200 games. Leaving around 30 or so guys left in rounds 2-7 to hit that mark.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This entirely depends on the gap between the 1st and the 2nd round picks. If the gap is five picks then you definitely do it. If it's 20 picks, probably not. If the question is whether you'd trade picks before you know the draft positioning of the two clubs, then I think you don't do it. Wait until the draft, until you do know precisely where you're picking either way.

If the 1st round pick is very high (top ten, as specified in the header), then you probably don't trade it in this kind of scenario. You would only really consider moving it in a swap for another 1st rounder within a few spots of your pick, with one of the two teams adding a sweetener to leapfrog the other and grab a player it covets.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I have this graph I made:

Draft160-GP.jpg

Value is actually quite close for finding an NHL player. So with that 11-30 pick you will find a player who sticks in the league around 60% of the time. With that 2nd rounder you will find that player ~30% of the time, with that 3rd rounder 20% and 4th rounder equals a 15% chance to land an NHLer. The accumulated value of those three picks gets awfully close to the value of that low first rounder.

If you don't see a guy you love, it's not the worst idea to trade down.
I would be interested in seeing the second round broken down further.

Early second round picks can be first round talents who dropped for varying reasons.

It would be interesting to see the success rates of top-10 second round picks (faux first round picks IMO) vs bottom-20 second round picks (starting to become ""real"" second round picks here IMO).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If an EA Sports video game won't accept that package, it's a good indication a human GM likely wouldn't either.

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
depends on how weak the draft is.
if it's like a 20th pick and you have your eyes on a prospect you feel that will be there in 2nd round then sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad