Would you trade 5th overall for Parayko?

5th overall for Parayko (27 years old, 5m/2yrs)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Parayko is good enough that he's the type of player you hope the 5th overall pick becomes. Also - 27 is pretty young for a defenseman like him i think, and he's also on a good contract

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I wouldn’t trade Parayko for the 5th OA pick, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking so I didn’t vote.

dh99

Apr 17, 2019
I wouldn't because of the lack of certainty Parayko's 2 years left brings. Odds are Ottawa won't be contender 2 years from now, and Melnyk is a thing, so why would he stay? With the 5th overall pick, you'll have the player under control for a lot longer, with the potential to become as good or better than Parayko.

If I was St. Louis though I wouldn't trade Parayko for the 5th Overall Pick either, as whoever is selected there won't be as valuable to them as Parayko is within their window to win.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Depends. Chances are that if you hold the 5th overall pick in the draft that you wouldn’t be in a position to compete with Parayko in those two years. I don’t think either side would do it.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Ottawa would be absolutely nuts to do this.

If a contending team manages to get OTT’s 5th overall pick, then that’s a whole other story.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We arent ready for this type of move,Ottawa needs far too much...Love the player,but he isnt a fit

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oh for sure I would do that deal. Ottawa still has their #3OA to draft a top forward.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
If it was 4 years and it filled a team need and we had a shot next season.... yes. But its 2 years. even if you have a shot next year thats too high of a draft pick for possibly 1 and a half years and then hope the trade deadline creates a market. I get the guy is good but its not an easy answer and more times then not a team with a top 5 pick isn't a team looking for 2 years of a solid 2-3 defender on the team. Maybe i dont watch enough but he isnt a number 1 guy is he? Doubt it changes my answer but willing to listen if i am wrong.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't do it if I'm Ottawa just because he only has 2 years left and Melnyk probably wouldn't pony up for him anyway. I also wouldn't do it if I'm the Blues. There's other ways to free cap space.

In a vacuum it's pretty fair though, but depends on team needs. Most teams at 5 probably need to hope for a bigger piece in the draft, but for teams with some good core players in place who need blue line help, it makes sense. I'd do it if the Canucks had the 5th overall this year, (but not when they actually had it Pettersson's year for instance). It would make a lot of sense for teams like Toronto or Winnipeg as well.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team.

If the #5 pick belonged to a contender then you might want to make the move.

Reactions: meefer

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Parayko is 2 year away from either walking as a UFA or getting re-signed to a massive contract (thereby reducing his trade value)

While there is no guarantee the player picked with the 5th OVR ends up being as good or better than Parayko now, there is the potential to get a star out of that pick and have him in the organization for 5-10 years with significant cap savings (3YR ELC < 1M annually then RFA deal at a discount compared to UFA deal).

Would be a foolish trade to make for any team but a legit contender looking to put themselves over the top, and even then it's probably an overpayment.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If my owner is on board, I definitely do this. You can be rebuilding and still trade one of THREE first rounders to improve your team.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
If i'm picking 5th it likely means my team is awful and i would probably prefer to build a stable of youngsters that can reach their peak around the same time. Otherwise i'd worry my team gets stuck in a cycle of mediocre to above average which doesn't appeal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->