Sportsnet: Would you trade 3 & 5 for 1st OA?

Trade up or don’t worry be happy

• Total voters

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Reactions: DueDiligence

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is the most coherent I've ever heard Dorion speak. Maybe those rookie GM jitters are finally gone.
You can still hear the little wobble in his voice and a tiny tinge of defensiveness. Pierre knows hockey and he seems like an interesting guy to talk to. But he sucks at doing media interviews.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Hell no.

Lafrenierre is the best player right now but I don't think it will always remain that way.

Exactly this. Lafreniere isn't a generational talent like crosby or mckinnon or even Matthews.

Byfield is a year younger, plays against tougher competition in the Ohl, and has an overaged kid from Israel on his wing.

5 years from now, the placeholder team could easily be saying.. **** we should have taken so and so, but hindsight is 20/20.

Let's power forward with our 2 top-5 picks. At worst we take the best dman in the draft and a number one center:laugh:

Reactions: operasen

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There's some very nice stuff in this interview. Here's what I gathered from this:

BPA: "You take the player most likely to help you win in a span of 3-7 years". I'm not sure if you read into that for timing of Pierre's strategy.

Trading: "I would be very surprised if we moved out of 3 and 5".

Special Player: When asked about trading out of those spots, he could have taken it to mean "trade up", "trade down" or trade for "other assets". He went immediately into how deep the draft was and how it would have to be a very "special player" coming back. The choice of the word "player" there instead of "package" or "return" speaks volumes.

Pierre's Tiers:
1....2-3....4-12....12-18/20

I'm surprised by the 4-12 tier. That goes a lot deeper than I would have expected. Assuming 2/3 is Byfield and Stutzle, that means that he's putting guys like Raymond and Drysdale in the same tier as guys like Sanderson/Quinn. Here's what I take from this.

Trading down 5: If he really believes that there isn't that much separation between 4 and 12, I think that opens the door for a deal like (5 + 33) from Ottawa for (10 + 17) coming back from Jersey. Of course, he also said he'd be very surprised if he traded 3 or 5 like 10 seconds earlier.

Trading up the Isles Pick: Likewise, that Islanders pick could end up sitting right on the edge of his 4th tier. Don't be surprised if we trade up that Islanders pick. Again, we might target that 2nd NJD pick if it's there.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Would you trade 5 and the Isles first for #2?

Then we walk away with both Stutzle and Byfield.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If LA pick Drysdale, we have to convince Yzerman to move to 5th with something good

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We need so much help all over the roster.....I really want Laf, but if we draft the right players, 2 really strong core pieces is better than one, even if the one is the best in this draft class.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We need 2 great players, not just one really great player. I'd keep our picks unless something was offered that was impossible to turn down.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Lafrenniere is a surefire superstar in this draft class - but he is not Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon. No way I would trade a Malkin/Patrick Kane type high-ceiling guys in Byf/Stu AND the chance at adding another 1st liner/top-D to get Laf. The Laf boat has sailed for me - the balls fell where they did and now it's magic time for the Sens scouting department. There is potential to come up with multiple NHL players in the top-50 of this year's draft.

Reactions: HzH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad