Would you sign McDavid & Drai to 17M$ and 14M$ 7yrs AAV contracts if UFAs?

Would you sign either contract if UFA: McDavid 7 yrs 17M$ AAV, Drai 7 yrs 14M$ AAV

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
NOT BOTH AT ONCE - EITHER/OR.

So - imagine both players are UFAs this summer. And they're negotiating with your team (this could be Edmonton, or other). And the player goes "ok - I'm McDavid and if you commit 7yrs 17M$ AAV i'm signing here, if not i go elsewhere" and Drai goes "Ok if you commit to 7yrs 14M$ AAV i'm signing here, if not I go elsewhere". Do you agree?

To clarify - you're not signing BOTH PLAYERS TOGETHER, so you don't need 31M$. I'm just asking two separate questions, in one same poll. So:

- Would you do this for a UFA McDavid?
- Would you do this for a UFA Drai?

Say why or why not. Consider every and any factor. Current team requirements and cap situation, injuries, ability, if you like the player, etc.

Obviously if your team today cannot fit the contract under the cap - you have the option to trade away/buyout players as needed to make it fit (and in some cases - this may include actually paying other teams to move your bad contracts).

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Drai isn’t worth it. Mcdavid arguably is, but I’m not convinced you can build a winning team with contracts like that

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'd say no to Drai for sure since he's not worth it from a marketability standpoint. Just trade him for a buttload.

McDavid I MAY keep if it means keeping fans and making my team popular since he's been highlighted so much already. But of course this depends on team composition...

Normally I'd just trade both of them for major assets, but McDavid being the star that he is is the only thing that makes me think twice.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Thinking of this more. 31M is basically the cost for 3 top 10-ish players.

So..... Would you rather have McDavid and Drai, and 50M so fill out almost 20 more roster spots..... or Panarin+Matthews+Hedman. Or Kucherov + Eichel + Kane. Or Vasilevskiy+Crosby+Tavares.... etc etc etc. With most of those being ~30M or less, with one less roster spot left needing to be filled.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

So..... Would you rather have McDavid and Drai, and 50M so fill out almost 20 more roster spots..... or Panarin+Matthews+Hedman. Or Kucherov + Eichel + Kane. Or Vasilevskiy+Crosby+Tavares.... etc etc etc. With most of those being ~30M or less, with one less roster spot left needing to be filled.
Matthews will become a UFA before Drai and McDavid so he will cost a lot more than 11.5M. Same with Kane, Vasi, Tavares and Crosby. So no, Drai and McDavid at free agency will not cost 3 elite players.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If you manage the cap well one of those contracts is easily manageable. Both would be manageable in time, but you’ll need to wait for the cap to increase which could take a while these days

Reactions: Merrrlin

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Aaaaaaand cue the Draisaitl underrating

But hell no to both those contracts lol.

17 mill is disgusting

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Matthews will become a UFA before Drai and McDavid so he will cost a lot more than 11.5M. Same with Kane, Vasi, Tavares and Crosby. So no, Drai and McDavid at free agency will not cost 3 elite players.
Those are examples. 31M is the price of 3 elite players. Don't be disingenuous

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yeah but that's not how this works though. The question being posed - Mcdavid or Drai are UFAs - this is their asking price, do you sign them or no? You seem to be saying "no - i'll go sign Kuch/Eichel/Kane instead".

Eichel is with Buff, Kuch w/Tampa and Kane w/Chicago. Just because you think those 3 would be better value doesn't mean they're available. The only players available here are Drai or McDavid, and that's their asking price. If you vote no - that's fine, but there aren't a bunch of other franchise players available to sign instead. Hall and Pietro are the only 2 high profile UFA's this year, who may or may not hit UFA, so that's your likely fallback.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I say sure 17 mill is basically trading Benn and Pevelski or Radulov.
And I'd rather have McDavid or drai than Benn and Pavs or Rads. Rather have drai in this scenario than McDavid but sign me up for it

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I voted no to both, but honestly a team could be crazy and desperate enough to give Mcdavid that.

Didnt San Jose offer Tavares like $13.5? I could see a team desperate for an offensive superstar, like maybe Ottawa barring Melnyk or Minnesota/Arizona.

Although Draisatl at 14 is gross. Outside of maybe Mcdavid theres nobody worth that much.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No.
Not now.
If not for COVID-19, I'd say hell yes.
I think that the salary cap was due to increase significantly over the coming seasons.
Gambling revenue + Seattle + inflation = 100M cap hit within 5 years without COVID-19 IMO.

But we have COVID bogging down the finances of so many people. I have no clue how long it's going to take for everything to fully recover. For all we know it could be 3-5 years. (I hope that's an example of a very grim estimate.)

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No player is worth that much. And it's not because of their playing ability. It's because it would be near impossible to fill out the rest of the roster.

It is kind of funny thpugh to think that some NBA scrubs are making more money than the best player in the NHL. Yikes. Heck, Stephen A Smith (ESPN host) makes more than MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad