Would you sign Duchene / Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
After the Matthews signing,and seeing that bonus up front cash....EM is likely more inclined to sell the team lol

Reactions: Chabot84

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
1. ... The haul will be outstanding from all the upcoming trades...

Maybe you meant to put a /s on this? I am not getting my hopes up on the return for Stone/Duchene. We wont be getting any blue chip prospects. Most likely a first for each and a mid level prospect and a 3rd liner.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Maybe you meant to put a /s on this? I am not getting my hopes up on the return for Stone/Duchene. We wont be getting any blue chip prospects. Most likely a first for each and a mid level prospect and a 3rd liner.
Well he did say a haul......lol

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I just want both Stone and Duchene to sign. Trade Dzingel, move Anderson, move Boedker, waive Boro. To much to ask?

Dzingel will get us a late first. Then Sens need to go hard and find a top paring Dman to play with Chabot and another top 4 dman.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I just want both Stone and Duchene to sign. Trade Dzingel, move Anderson, move Boedker, waive Boro. To much to ask?

Dzingel will get us a late first. Then Sens need to go hard and find a top paring Dman to play with Chabot and another top 4 dman.
We'll never go hard finding a decent roster player. Those days are over.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Hey wait a minute there.

That's a lot of salary you want to lock up. Duchene/Stone/UFA's that will need long-term deals. And we suck at anything pro-scouting related.

What happens if the cap floor is a little lower than we expect. Can't get rid of the rookies, that would be too obvious. We need some mid-level guys that can be jetisoned to keep us in line with NOT SPENDING ANY F'N MONEY BECAUSE WE ARE IDIOTS THAT CANT BUILD A COMPETITIVE TEAM.

:) okay, i'm done for the night.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course I'd sign them: the team has bled talent for years, need to stop the bleeding of the fanbase to have a future.

Granted, it is easy for me say; I don't know what is going on behind the scenes/how desperately broke Melnyk is.

If it was let them go and build for the future or sign them and hope we make the playoffs a few years in a row or else we fold/sell the franchise then I wouldn't sign them.

Problem is, this franchise has a huge credibility problem. Nothing will change this until commitment leads to results.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
1) Melnyk isnt going to pay large signing bonus's required to keep Stone/Duchene

2) Even if by a miracle Melnyk was willing to open the dusty wallet, Mark & Matt probably want out of this tirefire of an organization anyways

Hope for the best but prepare and expect the worst...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, Melnyk just claimed that the window will be 2021 to 2025, so Duchene will be 30 to 35 during that window, and Stone will be 29 to 34.

The only player currently signed during that window is Ryan for the first year.

This is what we have under our control with NHL potential

Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Balcers-Brown-
Chlapip-Norris-
Formenton-

Chabot-JBD
Lajoie-Jaros
Wolanin-Tychonick?

I mean, if everthing goes as well as can be hoped, that's not bad, but we all know some of those guys aren't meeting expectations.

Reactions: topshelf15

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I personally don't believe that Karlsson or Hoffman were part of the discussions last February, although I don't get in the way of those who want to. Dorion would not have traded Hoffman if the intent was to move Karlsson all along. Makes zero sense. But that's just me.

These UFAs are the easiest to trade, if you want 1st round picks. Pierre has been good at getting prospects and drafting, so that will continue one would think. I like Norris and Balcers.

I think Hoffman gets moved regardless because there were guys in the room on Karlsson's side and on Hoffman's side. So keeping Hoffman risks alienating the guys still in the room who were close with Karlsson.

I don't want to go into a 32 post odyssey about this, but I don't think trading Hoffman was an indication that the team was keeping Karl. At least where Melnyk is concerned, I think Karl was always gone it was just a matter of when.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
After the Matthews signing,and seeing that bonus up front cash....EM is likely more inclined to sell the team lol

I think signing bonuses will be taken care of in the next CBA renewal. So Melnyk won't have to worry about that for long. It could theoretically be taken care of before Chabot and Tkachuk become RFAs.

Reactions: topshelf15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
1) Melnyk isnt going to pay large signing bonus's required to keep Stone/Duchene

2) Even if by a miracle Melnyk was willing to open the dusty wallet, Mark & Matt probably want out of this tirefire of an organization anyways

Hope for the best but prepare and expect the worst...

LeBrun was saying yesterday that many team cannot afford to structure contracts like Toronto has. AAV is one thing but that type of structure is another. And maybe i'm reding more into his words than he meant but my sense was he was implying the people all around the league know this.

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
I think signing bonuses will be taken care of in the next CBA renewal. So Melnyk won't have to worry about that for long. It could theoretically be taken care of before Chabot and Tkachuk become RFAs.
I think signing bonuses will be addressed in the next round of CBA negotiations, but I'm not sure they "will be taken care of" and least not enough to help this team.

Lockout and buyout proof, I don't think the PA will yield easily on this issue and they'll be supported (even if not overtly) by the wealthiest teams that can use them to their advantage.

I could see signing bonuses become limited to a % per year of the AAV or total earnings in a year or something similar, but even if that's as low as ~ 25%, I think that's still a problem for this organization? I meant this team struggles with one $2M annual bonus for one player...

My two cents.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
And I believe he wants to wait this out and sign no one to major bonuses until the CBA is renegotiated. If so, Stone and others will be let go. Hope I'm wrong.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I think signing bonuses will be addressed in the next round of CBA negotiations, but I'm not sure they "will be taken care of" and least not enough to help this team.

Lockout and buyout proof, I don't think the PA will yield easily on this issue and they'll be supported (even if not overtly) by the wealthiest teams that can use them to their advantage.

I could see signing bonuses become limited to a % per year of the AAV or total earnings in a year or something similar, but even if that's as low as ~ 25%, I think that's still a problem for this organization? I meant this team struggles with one $2M annual bonus for one player...

My two cents.

I could see the NHLPA using it as a bargaining chip to get something they want because these major signing bonuses only help the top percentage of players. The majority of NHLers don't see these kind of contracts.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I tend to agree: There doesn't seem to be much of a point in keeping only one. Both or bust.

Alternative take. Let's pay whoever actually wants to stick this thing out with a Melnyk owned, Dorion run, last place 2 years running, team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Alternative take. Let's pay whoever actually wants to stick this thing out with a Melnyk owned, Dorion run, last place 2 years running, team.
Pretty much. Beggars can't be choosers.

As our C.O.O said, we have to make the cap floor. I'd rather that money be spent on on one of those guys instead of a couple of chumps who are stupid enough to sigh here in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->