Would you rather play Major Junior or Division 1 college hockey?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
If I was advising my son I would recommend Major Jr.

Most colleges are nothing but a money grab, and considering they can pull your scholarship at any time what will you do then? I can list other reasons but I am not a big fan of the NCAA route unless it is a guaranteed 4 years free ride. Even then Major Jr is better hockey.

*Edit
I just read the post about NCAA benefiting goalies and it is possible that there might be benefits, but just make sure to read the fine print before you make any decisions. I recommend asking some advice about the NCAA route on this forum: http://finishyourcheck.com/ Many people have experience with that there.

FlyOil

Dec 14, 2012
Philadelphia
I think Major Junior would be more fun and a solid option, but make sure you weigh everything because you may decide you want to go to school, so you wouldn't want to lose your NCAA eligibility.

SCTAFAN

Jan 31, 2014
NCAA but only if the school is strong academically dont waste your time otherwise, go with a Canadian University

baronbaik

Mar 12, 2014
Sarajevo
I said the same thing to my friends here in the states, trying to argue why the CHL is better than the NCAA. Then I really started watching more NCAA games this past year and noticed that they play a pretty good game as well. The CHL is the better brand of hockey, and pumps out the top prospects every year for the draft, but the middle of the pack CHL kids drafted every year aren't any better than some of the talent in the NCAA. The best players in Junior hockey gather for team Canadas national junior camp and sometimes lose to CIS teams. Those same CIS teams play exhibition games against NCAA teams at the beginning of the year and get smoked by the NCAA Div 1 teams. There is a lot of players playing NCAA/USHL hockey that could play major junior. Especially the elite americans in the league. I would like to see you say that to Jacob Trouba, Johnny Gaudreau, Derek Stepan, Mike Cammalleri, Riley Barber, or hell...even John Teows, just to name a few..the NCAA is easily the next best developmental league under Major Junior. http://collegehockeyinc.com/in-the-nhl

I'd be careful with the "Canadian Junior team loses to CIS team, which loses to NCAA team. Therefore NCAA is better than CHL" argument.

1. The max. age for CHL players is like 19 or 20(?). That's what, a Sophomore or Junior?

2. Those Team Canada vs. CIS games are played during World Junior training camp, not when the team is 100% ready yet, while the CIS team is in mid-season form.

Overall, unless there was some sort of bias (ex. not getting playing time with the CHL club), I'd go with CHL. NCAA is still decent, but there's more exposure and opportunity for development in the CHL. Plus, the CHL scholarship program allows you to go to school after the CHL career.

hockey91

Nov 3, 2013
I would go NCAA, you are getting schooling at the same time so if your hockey does not work out you have something to fall back on. Also you could play Jr.A until your are 19/20 then get another 4 years of hockey where you could develop and get a contract from a pro team. Unless you are going to be getting solid playing time in your first 2 years, primarily before your draft year, then go to the CHL.

Good example of a kid going to the NCAA and getting signed is Jared Coreau, a fellow goalie. He played a season of Jr.A in Peterborough then went on to the USHL where he got a full ride to Northern Mich. There he split time for his first year then got the majority of the starts in his sophomore year. In his Junior year he had a good season while his team bombed and was able to pull a NHL contact from the Detroit Redwings.( he also had offers from other teams).

But especially for a goalie where it may take more time to develop or get your opportunity you may need more time and the NCAA provides that.

IMO

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
IMO, either pay CHL players a decent wage or don't pay them at all and make them eligible for the NCAA after they graduate from high school.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
IMO, either pay CHL players a decent wage or don't pay them at all and make them eligible for the NCAA after they graduate from high school.

It is not so much that they get paid by CHL teams it is that they sign pro contracts and continue to play in CHL.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Another factor that can be seen as a positive or a negative is in major junior you can be traded. If the team isn't a good fit, you can be moved and continue to play at that level. Teams and players can have no trade clauses but they are often waved or can be a point of contention.

In the NCAA if things change or don't work out inorder to transfer to a different school you have to sit out a year. Or leave college all together for the CHL or another level of play. And as mentioned the scholarship can be pulled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad