World Cup: Would you rate Pogba's WC better than Modric?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I thought Pogba had a very good WC overall. He probably isn't the most intelligent football player around, but especially against Belgium I thought he showed some great defensive awareness. At a level I don't think I have ever seen before.

Really no comparison to Modric though. Not in general and not in this WC. Except for covering Fellaini in the air Pogba didn't do anything Modric didn't do better in this WC. Replace Modric with Pogba and Croatia are not playing the final - vice versa and France are still winning the WC.

Will be interesting to see if there is a permanent change with Pogba - or if he goes back to being a inconsistent headless chicken at Utd again. Not saying he hasn't got his moments at Utd as well, but I can't say I have ever felt as a Spursfan "nervous" playing Pogba the same way one feels coming up against KDB etc.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Modric was the only clear standout for me for the Golden Ball, by the end. He wasn't dominant on the scoresheet, obviously, but everything went through him. His clever passes, movement, reading of the play and general on the ball work were 2nd to none at this tournament. Pogba had an impressive tournament, and every team in the world would take Kante.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Modric is an incredibly high bar to set for any MF. The guy is just amazing. Judging from a lot of the comments and threads on here, it's incredible how underrated he's been for years.

So regardless of this vs that, I'm very happy for Pogba. He takes an unfair amount of shit at United, mostly from United fans. The same ones who adore flamboyant players like Best and Cantona, while harping on every hairstyle Pogba chooses. Some of it is based on the club's success sure, but it's mostly unfair and stupid.

He also seems to play better everywhere he is where Mourinho isn't in charge. Hmmm. Guess Manchester life just gets to him. :sarcasm:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm a massive Pogba fan, and I think he had a fantastic WC. That being said, he wasn't at Modric's level for the tournament.

He was better in the final overall (honestly he was my MOTM), but Modric had a better tournament. Kante was also better through the tournament.

I'd say Pogba was about the 4th to 6th best player at the WC, behind Kante, Mbappe, and Modric and in a group of players for the next spots.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nope. I know Pogba scored the World Cup winning goal but, to me, he had a quiet World Cup. Modric seemed to do more for the entire World Cup.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What a ridiculous take. Kanté was booked in the 28th minute. With his playing style in mind, I can absolutely understand how he might've let the pressure of not getting a red in a WC final get to him a bit. He was a different player after the card, a lot more tentative. Deschamps understood that and took him off after his play didn't settle at the start of the second half.

The fact remains that he probably was the best midfielder in the tournament after Modric, and I would argue on the same level, albeit playing a different role. It's not like the Premier League is poor when it comes to world class midfielders either.

And Pogba's been great. Not on Kanté/Modric's level, but I agree with the KdB comparison.

Modric was clearly a cut above for me, but yeah. Kante was France's best midfielder by a mile & that yellow absolutely changed the way he played...that's why I said when he got it that it was a huge moment in the match.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Pogba had a fantastic low profile WC. He scored key goals (even if one was deemed as an OG), made some key passes, but more importantly, he was fantastic in breakouts, which is what France relied on.
Tactically, he was key in France play.

So much this. You can tell the difference in Uniteds play when Pogba is and isn’t in. His ability to breakout or go from offense to defense is incredible. And no one focuses on that when they analyze his performances. Not to say he isn’t inconsistent at all; because he is, but I do think it’s ridiculous that he gets criticized for not scoring every game.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Pogba had a good WC, but not great. I think it goes for most of the French team. Standouts being Kante and Mbappe. But to say Griezmann with basically 4 goals and 3 assist had a worse WC than Pogba is terrible (even though it was a goalie mistake and some penalties). Not that Griezmann were among the most outstanding players either, but he also were part of the most key moments. Ending Uruguay with Muslera's mistake. Assist on Umtiti's goal vs. Belgium in the semifinal. Pretty much a goal and two assists in the final (though he didn't get an assist for neither, as Mandzukic was an own goal and Pogba needed two attempts on the 3-1 goal).

All in all, France with just an overall good team. With standout performances by Kante, to some degree Hernandez and Pavard and then the rest.

Other countries had better midfielders. Modric, Hazard, Rakitic, Coutinho and Perisic were all very good.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Griez sucked in all but one game. Pogba was tremendous defensively in every game. And added some key passes and goals along the way.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We can do better than youtube comment argument transplantation, can't we?

Especially when the answer is so glaring.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Other countries had better midfielders. Modric, Hazard, Rakitic, Coutinho and Perisic were all very good.

Kante and Pogba were there with the rest, with the best.

I didn't think Griezmann was great, even in the final, I didn't care when he had the ball - Mbappe though, you sh*t your pants every time he was near it.
Set piece deliveries, penalties... Great. But actual open play...? Nah.

Pogba played a great tournament, mature and stable, and he'd be among the 3 midfielders I'd choose after Modric (Pogba, Kante, Rakitic).
Hazard, Perisic and the rest aren't the same type of players anyway.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Looking back at France's goals.
Against Australia, who made the pass to Griezmann who got the penalty? Pogba.
Who created a play with two straight 1-2s and then scored the winner? Pogba.
Final score : 2-1.

Against Peru, who made the pass to Giroud for the goal that resulted in the goal? Pogba.
Final score : 1-0

Against Argentina and Uruguay and Belgium, he had a great game defensively and started plenty of breakouts.

And of course, he had a great final.

As for those saying he's dumb, people should check the movie made about France's month in the WC. Not only is the guy a leader, but he's extremely conscient of the impact on the society this team can have. He's hardly an idiot.

So yeah, he's had so much more importance than Griez it's not even funny.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Looking back at France's goals.
Against Australia, who made the pass to Griezmann who got the penalty? Pogba.
Who created a play with two straight 1-2s and then scored the winner? Pogba.
Final score : 2-1.

Against Peru, who made the pass to Giroud for the goal that resulted in the goal? Pogba.
Final score : 1-0

Against Argentina and Uruguay and Belgium, he had a great game defensively and started plenty of breakouts.

And of course, he had a great final.

As for those saying he's dumb, people should check the movie made about France's month in the WC. Not only is the guy a leader, but he's extremely conscient of the impact on the society this team can have. He's hardly an idiot.

So yeah, he's had so much more importance than Griez it's not even funny.

But he only had 1 goal....

In a seriousness I hope this this tournament Pogba is who he is going forward. If he plays like this this, he’s a player that impacts every aspect of the game and is capable if leading a successful team. But who knows with Mou.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The film made behind the scene is extremely interesting.
Pogba is the true leader of this team. Matuidi is probably second, with Lloris and Mandanda behind.
Pogba is the one talking before the game. He's the guy talking at halftime. he's the guy talking at the end.
He's also very aware of french football history. He knows the games of the past.

I'm not surprised, he was always like this in youth selections, but I hadn't heard about his leadership in senior football. There's no doubt after seeing this film.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad