• Soucy

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
This would be a easy answer if it applied to just one year. Many of the Dumba supporters would argue all of things they see with their eyes on Dumba. I see them too. Speed, offensive awareness. I get it. Truth of the matter is Dumba shouldn't be getting the minutes or accolades he gets. The statistics are fairly easy to read. Soucy out points, out pluses, and does it all playing far fewer minutes. If you would look at the players net plus per minute average, Dumba would be put to shame by nearly every defensemen on the Wild roster. You probably aren't aware of the stat but its a real attention grabber when I point it out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You don't "shelter" a d-pair by playing them with your matchup line. Eriksson Ek's line is actually the line that Soucy and Cole have been paired with the least.

It is funny that all the Dumba bashers don't seem to remember that Spurgeon was supposed to be on the shutdown pair with Brodin but Dumba had to take over because the leader couldn't keep up.

Interesting to dig into the numbers a bit. 5v5 TOI with Greenway, Eriksson Ek, Kaprizov and Fiala:

Dumba
Greenway: 273:30
Eriksson Ek: 269:45
Kaprizov: 269:45
Fiala: 211:30

Spurgeon
Greenway: 260:00
Eriksson Ek: 263:30
Kaprizov: 270:30
Fiala: 213:15

Both with pretty similar times with our "offensive" and our "matchup" forwards.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
This would be a easy answer if it applied to just one year. Many of the Dumba supporters would argue all of things they see with their eyes on Dumba. I see them too. Speed, offensive awareness. I get it. Truth of the matter is Dumba shouldn't be getting the minutes or accolades he gets. The statistics are fairly easy to read. Soucy out points, out pluses, and does it all playing far fewer minutes. If you would look at the players net plus per minute average, Dumba would be put to shame by nearly every defensemen on the Wild roster. You probably aren't aware of the stat but its a real attention grabber when I point it out.
Dumba's expected +/-
upload_2021-5-14_13-42-56.png

Soucy's expected +/-
upload_2021-5-14_13-43-20.png

Is it me or does Soucy not seem to be blowing Dumba out of the water and putting him to shame?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Interesting to dig into the numbers a bit. 5v5 TOI with Greenway, Eriksson Ek, Kaprizov and Fiala:

Dumba
Greenway: 273:30
Eriksson Ek: 269:45
Kaprizov: 269:45
Fiala: 211:30

Spurgeon
Greenway: 260:00
Eriksson Ek: 263:30
Kaprizov: 270:30
Fiala: 213:15

Both with pretty similar times with our "offensive" and our "matchup" forwards.
Yeah, Soucy and Cole have similar splits with all 4 lines as well. They don't chase matchups real hard with the defenseman

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So I guess Parise said no to waive, and that's why they treat him like crap.

I'd say Dumba is overrated anyway, no big loss. Too many turnovers and stupid stuff, penalties. Seattle may not even want him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don’t recall anybody saying Soucy is blowing Dumba out of the water. The argument is that Soucy is providing similar stats for like 1/2 the cost.
Similar counting stats, but Soucy's also got the highest PDO on the team while Dumba's got about the lowest:

Soucy
On-ice SH% - 14.4
On-ice SV% - 94.4
PDO - 108.8

Dumba
On-ice SH% - 10.9
On-ice SV% - 89.4
PDO - 100.4

So it's hard not to think that Soucy's getting a little lucky here. Which isn't to cut him down or anything; I love Soucy. But racking up assists while your teammates are shooting at 14% is a little sketchy.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So I guess Parise said no to waive, and that's why they treat him like crap.

I'd say Dumba is overrated anyway, no big loss. Too many turnovers and stupid stuff, penalties. Seattle may not even want him.
They're not treating Parise like crap They're treating him like a 13th forward.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
They're not treating Parise like crap They're treating him like a 13th forward.

I'm not so sure his teammates agree with you.

And that's actually a concern when it comes to the playoffs, I believe it's a disturbing factor in the locker room...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not so sure his teammates agree with you.

And that's actually a concern when it comes to the playoffs, I believe it's a disturbing factor in the locker room...
Parise is/was the distraction in the locker room. I'm guessing most of the team is just fine with him being put in his place.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dumba's expected +/- View attachment 433813

Soucy's expected +/-View attachment 433814

Is it me or does Soucy not seem to be blowing Dumba out of the water and putting him to shame?
I have no idea what you posted. Its just something with numbers on it no ones name either. Lets do the math on my formula for the this past year of Dumba and Soucy. Dumba had 21 points, a plus of 1, and 5 powerplay points in 1130.67 minutes of ice time. My projected plus per minute for Dumba is 0.015. Soucy had 17 points, plus 22, and zero powerplay points in only 758.5 for a net of plus 39. My projected plus per minute for Soucy is 0.514. If you were to multiply Soucy's projected plus per minute rate by the ice time Dumba had. It would translate into a net plus of 58 ( which would be way more goals for than against than Dumbas net of 17. So why give Dumba all of this ice time? Teams are rarely scoring when Soucy and Cole are on the ice and yet the Wild are still scoring with them on the ice.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I have no idea what you posted. Its just something with numbers on it no ones name either. Lets do the math on my formula for the this past year of Dumba and Soucy. Dumba had 21 points, a plus of 1, and 5 powerplay points in 1130.67 minutes of ice time. My projected plus per minute for Dumba is 0.015. Soucy had 17 points, plus 22, and zero powerplay points in only 758.5 for a net of plus 39. My projected plus per minute for Soucy is 0.514. If you were to multiply Soucy's projected plus per minute rate by the ice time Dumba had. It would translate into a net plus of 58 ( which would be way more goals for than against than Dumbas net of 17. So why give Dumba all of this ice time? Teams are rarely scoring when Soucy and Cole are on the ice and yet the Wild are still scoring with them on the ice.
Seems to be a lot of that going around

Did you really just try to use a "formula" that multiplies +/- ?

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dumba's expected +/- View attachment 433813

Soucy's expected +/-View attachment 433814

Your numbers do not elaborate on anything. My math is very much like Bill James in that it takes what is happening right now and projecting outward. Of course there are many variables but this is happening and has happened most all of this season. I would bet it is much more vivid the last two months though but the math is there to run the formula

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Like I mentioned earlier, for whatever reason Soucy's gotten pretty lucky this year in terms of his goalies and his teammates' shooting percentages. Those things haven't been as much of a factor for Dumba.

I guess the one possible counterargument there would be that Soucy contributes to the goalies making more saves by playing better defense, which isn't unreasonable. But if that was the case I'd expect it to show up in the shot-quality metrics, and they really don't.

Shots against per 60
Dumba: 28.75
Soucy: 29.77

Scoring chances against per 60
Dumba: 23.42
Soucy: 24.17

High-danger chances against per 60
Dumba: 8.30
Soucy: 7.74

Expected goals against per 60
Dumba: 2.07
Soucy: 2.08

Source

There are some differences, but they're not wide and (if you put much stock in expected goals) they end up canceling each other out. So it seems like the +/- thing has more to do with the goalies than Dumba and Soucy themselves.

There's more of a gap when you look at the offensive side of things:

Shots for per 60
Dumba: 27.2
Soucy: 25.98

Scoring chances for per 60
Dumba: 23.49
Soucy: 20.56

High-danger chances for per 60
Dumba: 10.73
Soucy: 9.03

Expected goals for per 60
Dumba: 2.35
Soucy: 1.99

So the team generates more offensive pressure with Dumba on the ice, and their point totals being so close appears to mostly come down to luck. Even the quality of linemates and competition don't seem to make much of a difference based on what Dr Jan Itor posted earlier. The pairings get pretty even time with everyone and against everyone.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Umm you do realize that plus minus has a direct correlation with goal differential?
Yes. Just like I realize that a player that plays 20 minutes in a game while being +2 had a much better game than the guy that played 5 minutes and was +1. Your formula says the 2nd guy was twice as good as the 1st. In other words, your formula doesn't work.

Reactions: TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad