Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Better question:

If you were Seattle, and Minnesota protected 7-3-1 and also protected Talbot, who would you choose in the Ex Draft?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Minnesota had four defense slots? I’d protect Dumba cause he’s the better player. If getting rid of his salary is that pressing then trade him for a nice package of futures.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I just don't see how Dumba can remain on this roster next year with all the other contract extensions and needs at center. I prefer the trade route, but expose him if necessary.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One has played on the top pair most of the season, the other on the bottom pair.

Quality of competition difference is significant.

One gets to play with the best defensive Dman in the league, the other, Jonas Brodin. :D

Reactions: larueskee

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Here's my "hot take" of the day:

Matt Dumba might be the most overrated Wild player among fans. He will never turn into the high-scoring defenseman we were all hoping for when he had his career high season a few years ago.

There, I said it. Stay off my lawn!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I mean I wouldn't classify that as the choice in the way that you've presented it. The choice could potentially be protect Greenway or Ek and expose Dumba (and Soucy) or protect Dumba and expose Greenway or Ek (and Soucy)

Would I rather have Greenway or Ek & Soucy versus Dumba & Soucy but lose Greenway or Ek? Well that's where things become a conversation especially with cap hits

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

Matt Dumba might be the most overrated Wild player among fans. He will never turn into the high-scoring defenseman we were all hoping for when he had his career high season a few years ago.

Nailed it

Pinchy11

Nov 2, 2011
If Dumba was truly worth what some people feel he is he would have already been traded.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I agree; he has never really developed into anything more than a decent top 4 defensemen and Minnesota has those in spades. Everyone is worried he'll turn into the next Burns, but I don't see it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Dumba was truly worth what some people feel he is he would have already been traded.
This is a circular argument. "Guerin didn't trade him because he couldn't get a decent return. We know he couldn't get a decent return because he didn't trade him."

The reports over the summer indicated that there was plenty of interest but Guerin didn't get the specific offer he wanted, a top 6 center. It was a bad time to get picky.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I call BS. Last season he was recovering from his injury. This year he has improved his 82 game pace from the prior season. I see no reason he can't continue to improve back to where he was or at least in the 40s point wise.

People that want to sell low or for nothing at all drive me nuts. Imagine, say, the Wild traded Brodin after his 7 point season. What a mistake that would be.

P10p

May 15, 2012
People acting like Dumba is the no brainer choice haven't watched the Wild much. Soucy brings similar production in less minutes with better defense. Dumba is living on his legacy right now. He has not been good majority of games this season.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
IMO, Dumba is the somewhat better overall player, but not 3.3M of cap space better.
With such a small size D potential of Spurgeon and possibly Addison and Menell , the Wild might have a better mix with a big D like Soucy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad