Would you play in the World Championships

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Like the title says lets say your season was finished and you were asked to play for country in the World championships. would you do it ?? if you were healthy. please post what position you play (LW, C, RW, D, G) and what nation you play for??

Me Id play LW and for Team Canada.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes. Look at how happy the guys on Team Canada were after winning the 2015 WC in dominating fashion.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
if I were an NHLer, I'd imagine I'd be no different than any other Canadian NHLer, I'd prefer to be playing for the Stanley Cup, but would suit up for the NT 3-5 times at that tournament over the course of a 12-15 year career. It is just a good afternoon warm up to that evening's NHL playoff action.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
As a fan I don't really care about the NHL. But I know if I was a player and they were paying my salary that'd be my first priority. I go whenever I could but having played sports with nagging injuries (hello torn rotator cuff!) I can appreciate taking time off to get stuff fixed.

I doubt I'd bother trying to flush out a passport for Ukraine to play in it though.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Asking people here is kind of irrelevant frankly. Nobody here plays professional hockey, nobody here knows the grind or suffers from the injuries or does the training or travelling.

I'd like to think I'd go. That being said, I also have a girlfriend who misses me, I can't imagine having one and travelling a lot for 8 months of the year. A lot of these guys have young children, it would be hard to me to justify missing my children's youth for a hockey tournament when I play hockey 9 months of the year. It would also be hard for me to justify risking injury and losing out on millions of dollars in the future.

When you're young and healthy it makes sense to go, but as you get older there are a lot more responsibilities to consider.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Asking people here is kind of irrelevant frankly. Nobody here plays professional hockey, nobody here knows the grind or suffers from the injuries or does the training or travelling.

I'd like to think I'd go. That being said, I also have a girlfriend who misses me, I can't imagine having one and travelling a lot for 8 months of the year. A lot of these guys have young children, it would be hard to me to justify missing my children's youth for a hockey tournament when I play hockey 9 months of the year. It would also be hard for me to justify risking injury and losing out on millions of dollars in the future.

When you're young and healthy it makes sense to go, but as you get older there are a lot more responsibilities to consider.

Thats why most say, Yes, if they could...

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Yes.

Playing in front of real crowds that know when to cheer and doesn't need a machine to tell them when to stand up.

Absolutely hate Canadian/American atmospheres at sporting events at times. So boring. So utterly fake. Like their livelihoods depend on a Hockey team winning a game. Relax, it's entertainment.

But I guess you can only have that in international settings. Not nhl settings which demonstrates what class of society your from the further down you sit. Not even special rows for the opposing teams fans. That's what makes sport unique, this league bans people buying tickets from other cities. Like, are you serious?

The only time it's beautiful is playoffs. But no Canadian teams, so can't even stand watching any playoffs this year.

Keram

Jan 16, 2016
Hell yeah. As I child I allways dreamed about it although I didn´t play hockey for real.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Thats why most say, Yes, if they could...

No but here is the thing, if these posters could play, then they would respond to the same incentives that the people who CAN play are responding to. 90% of people on the planet react pretty well the exact same way given the same environment and same set of circumstances. There is no reason to believe that this group of people in particular would respond any differently. The reason they think they would respond differently is simply because they don't understand the environment and factors that the players are responding to.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I would play every year and appreciate to get into the atmosphere, and go to different countries to play hockey with some top countrymen who play, too. Some year the games might be in Italy, great kitchen, or in Czech, famous beer, and other cultural plusses in addition to the hockey.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One or two years max if I was young healthy and didn't have a family.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I would play if I were reasonably healthy, and didnt have an expiring contract. If I were a veteran with plenty of played worlds, maybe family matters like childbirth could be a factor to decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad