Proposal: Would you Offersheet Barzal at $10.9 Million AAV?

Barzal $10.9/year against the cap. Costs 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, I'd do it. Would then scramble to sign Fiala, and potentially KK in the future. Barzal is precisely the type of guy we need. Young, offensively gifted, but has been house trained by Trotz to play in a defensive system. We might have to move Dumba, not re-sign Foligno, and make do with Stalock/Khakonen to make it happen. Maybe move out Zuccarello, even if we have to retain a bit.

Of course we could always trade Parise to NYI, right?:sarcasm:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
yes IF its next years 2-1sts , no if it includes this years. i believe we will make the playoffs next year so both our pick & the pens pick will be in the 15-31 range.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
To put it simple 1 of

Eichel - Matthews - Barkov with a 7/70 extension or a similar player for:

2020 1st
Minn or Pitt 2021 1st
2020 2nd
2020 3rd

I don't think ANY of these are even close to possible to pull off so even though Barzal is a notch below that group OFFER SHEET HIM BG !

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I have a hard time believing they’re going to be able to move Ladd. Leddy and Clutterbuck are moveable, but if you pay Barzal 10.9, Pulock his 6, and move Leddy and Clutterbuck, while taking back no cap, you’re already at 84 Million bucks with an 81.5 million dollar cap that’s staying flat for a couple seasons, And Devon Toews likely looking for 4+ million as an RFA. If they find a way to move Ladd and Komarov and Cizilas out as well, they can probably do it, but that is a very thin team that will cost a fortune in futures to make cap compliant.
We all the cap they need to move out. they could be the one paying 2 firsts, second, and a third to keep Barzal.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
We all the cap they need to move out. they could be the one paying 2 firsts, second, and a third to keep Barzal.
Ladd’s contract alone would cost 2 1sts to move. That’s 3 years of 5.5 against the cap for absolutely nothing. The cost to have someone else buyout Marleau before the flat cap was the 13th pick

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Barzal offer sheet at $10.9 --> lose 2 1sts + 1 2nd + 1 3rd

Zucker trade --> gain 1 1st + Addison

Dumba prospective trade --> gain 1 1st + 1 2nd (probably his value, but just a guess)

1sts, 2nds basically cancel out, though could change depending on where they actually land.

$10.9M cap coming in, $11.5M cap going out and it's basically Zucker + Dumba + 3rd for Barzal + Addison

That's beyond a no brainer, even if you end up having to lose guys like Greenway, Donato and/or Soucy along the way.

Was going to vote no, but I think you just convinced me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I get the desperation for a center, but $11M for Barzal is a ridiculous overpay. No chance you can maintain any sort of salary structure for your team with that contract.

TNor31

Mar 1, 2014
What if we traded Parise for Ladd as soon as the Islanders are done. Then we put the offer sheet on Barzal once free agency opens up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I get the desperation for a center, but $11M for Barzal is a ridiculous overpay. No chance you can maintain any sort of salary structure for your team with that contract.

Maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, but if I get to watch a Kaprizov/Barzal/Fiala top line for the next 7 years, I'm going to stop caring awfully quick about who is on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I'm not saying this would be a hold up for a talent like Barzal, but averaging 42% on the dot isn't ideal. Sure it's very fixable, but something to think about.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, but if I get to watch a Kaprizov/Barzal/Fiala top line for the next 7 years, I'm going to stop caring awfully quick about who is on the 3rd and 4th lines.
That's my point. There's no chance you would get to see that line if you're paying Barzal $11M per

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Show me a realistic Wild roster where Barzal fits in making $11M

2021-22:

Kaprizov - Barzal - Fiala
Boldy - Eriksson Ek - Zuccarello
Beckman - Sturm - #3RW
Parise - 4C - 4RW
13F

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Menell/Addison
#3LD - Addison/Menell
#7D

Kahkonen
Greiss
Dubnyk buyout

Moves:
Fiala $9M long-term
Kaprizov $7.5M long-term
Eriksson Ek $4.5 medium term
Kahkonen $1.5M on a bridge
Greiss $2.5M short-term
Menell $1M on a bridge
Sturm $1M on a bridge
4C, 4RW, 13F and 7D are all $750k players
#3RW and #3LD are $1M players
Dumba traded for futures/ELCs
Kunin either traded or taken in the ED
Greenway, Soucy and Donato traded on their own and/or used to get Rask off the books
Bought out Dubnyk this off season

$300k in cap space.

Edit: forgot to swap out Kunin for Eriksson Ek in the moves.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
2021-22:

Beckman - Sturm - #3RW
Parise - 4C - 4RW
13F

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Menell/Addison
#3LD - Addison/Menell
#7D

Kahkonen
Greiss
Dubnyk buyout

Moves:
Fiala $9M long-term
Kaprizov $7.5M long-term
Kunin $3M on a bridge
Greiss $2.5M short-term
Menell $1M on a bridge
Sturm $1M on a bridge
Greenway, Soucy and Donato traded on their own and/or used to get Rask off the books

$300k in cap space.
Yeah, I couldn't make a realistic lineup either. The only chance you have is to get Parise on LTIR. Even then it's iffy at best.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
2021-22:

Beckman - Sturm - #3RW
Parise - 4C - 4RW
13F

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Menell/Addison
#3LD - Addison/Menell
#7D

Kahkonen
Greiss
Dubnyk buyout

Moves:
Fiala $9M long-term
Kaprizov $7.5M long-term
Kunin $3M on a bridge
Greiss $2.5M short-term
Menell $1M on a bridge
Sturm $1M on a bridge

$300k in cap space.
If either of Fiala or Kaprizov command more than 7 long-term with Barzal in the lineup you trade on of the wingers. I wouldN’t be too hurt by it either. If Kaprizov has a season that demands 7.5 million per you can easily trade him for an ELC contributor and a high-value middle-six guy on a good deal. That would cost about 4 million between the top agains the cap, and then you have 4 million-5million to do other things with depending on what Fiala gets. The tricky part for me would be finding a consistent goalie for a good price.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If either of Fiala or Kaprizov command more than 7 long-term with Barzal in the lineup you trade on of the wingers. I wouldN’t be too hurt by it either. If Kaprizov has a season that demands 7.5 million per you can easily trade him for an ELC contributor and a high-value middle-six guy on a good deal. That would cost about 4 million between the top agains the cap, and then you have 4 million-5million to do other things with depending on what Fiala gets. The tricky part for me would be finding a consistent goalie for a good price.

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
None of that is unrealistic.
You have 8 roster players making league minimum. You don't just get to say "$750K player". You actually need to have a player there. You also don't have enough cap space for injuries. We won't even get into Ek as a 2C or Sturm as a 3C.

There's nothing realistic about that roster.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You have 8 roster players making league minimum. You don't just get to say "$750K player". You actually need to have a player there. You also don't have enough cap space for injuries. We won't even get into Ek as a 2C or Sturm as a 3C.

There's nothing realistic about that roster.

It realistically lets me watch a Kaprizov/Barzal/Fiala top line for multiple years. Never claimed it was a Cup contender or anything. Did you miss the part where I didn't really give a shit about the 3rd or 4th lines?

You're the one that's always saying that we don't need to pay guys like Foligno because those types of players are available at league minimum every off season. I have no idea who those players are going to be, but I'm trusting you that they are there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It realistically lets me watch a Kaprizov/Barzal/Fiala top line for multiple years. Never claimed it was a Cup contender or anything. Did you miss the part where I didn't really give a shit about the 3rd or 4th lines?

You're the one that's always saying that we don't need to pay guys like Foligno because those types of players are available at league minimum every off season. I have no idea who those players are going to be, but I'm trusting you that they are there.
All that I asked for was a realistic roster.

You failed pretty hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad