Proposal: Would you Offersheet Barzal at $10.9 Million AAV?

Barzal $10.9/year against the cap. Costs 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

• Total voters

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I think it puts us in pickle for cap in the coming years with Fiala and Kap, but I would do this offersheet.

Also any reason i cannot vote?

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
100%.

I had no idea that the compensation was so minimal at that amount. I just assumed it was four 1st rounders at that much and was willing to do it anyway. Only 2 first rounders is a no brainer IMO.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think it puts us in pickle for cap in the coming years with Fiala and Kap, but I would do this offersheet.

Also any reason i cannot vote?

It's tight, but not impossible. Would probably require a Dumba trade for futures only, and Rask trade with value attached just to be rid of him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's tight, but not impossible. Would probably require a Dumba trade for futures only, and Rask trade with value attached just to be rid of him.
Even if it requires hard decisions about guys like Fiala and Kaprizov down the line, it's probably worth it.

The real problem is getting him to sign, which always seems unlikely.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Easily. Underpayment for a legit 1st line center in his prime.

CBA prices fixes "market" price for prime centers 40-50% their actual value to their teams on the ice.

Future draft picks must be heavily discounted to present value (i.e. 1st 4 years from now worth fraction of a 1st this year).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Barzal offer sheet at $10.9 --> lose 2 1sts + 1 2nd + 1 3rd

Zucker trade --> gain 1 1st + Addison

Dumba prospective trade --> gain 1 1st + 1 2nd (probably his value, but just a guess)

1sts, 2nds basically cancel out, though could change depending on where they actually land.

$10.9M cap coming in, $11.5M cap going out and it's basically Zucker + Dumba + 3rd for Barzal + Addison

That's beyond a no brainer, even if you end up having to lose guys like Greenway, Donato and/or Soucy along the way.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Dumba prospective trade --> gain 1 1st + 1 2nd (probably his value, but just a guess)

1sts, 2nds basically cancel out, though could change depending on where they actually land.

$10.9M cap coming in, $11.5M cap going out and it's basically Zucker + Dumba + 3rd for Barzal + Addison

That's beyond a no brainer, even if you end up having to lose guys like Greenway, Donato and/or Soucy along the way.
I’d treat and get Demko + Van’s 2021 1st for Dumba if we got Barzal. The real question is: is that a high enough salary that the Islanders are forced to let him go, or do they match it and figure the rest out later?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’d treat and get Demko + Van’s 2021 1st for Dumba if we got Barzal. The real question is: is that a high enough salary that the Islanders are forced to let him go, or do they match it and figure the rest out later?

If they match it f***s them up pretty good. If we go higher, it probably f***s us up pretty good, even outside of the two extra 1st rounders. I have a high tolerance when it comes to something like this, but there’s still a dollar cutoff point. $11 million is awfully close to it.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Great way to think about it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Who is New York going to get rid of? They have already 47.65 up against the cap in forwards alone. They don't need to do much on defense, but that's another 17.9 and then 7 for goalies. That's 72.55 million and that's not adding in Barzal's contract. That isn't to mention the year after either in 21-22 or 22-23 when they have to replace their entire defense.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Who is New York going to get rid of? They have already 47.65 up against the cap in forwards alone. They don't need to do much on defense, but that's another 17.9 and then 7 for goalies. That's 72.55 million and that's not adding in Barzal's contract. That isn't to mention the year after either in 21-22 or 22-23 when they have to replace their entire defense.
From what i've seen them try and get rid of: Ladd, Leddy, Clutterbuck.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They'll dump just about anybody to keep Barzal, and rightfully so. So you may weaken their team short term, but they'll rebound if they keep Barzal.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
They are going to have to attach a lot to get rid of Ladd or Clutterbuck. I heard possibly LTIR Clutter?

2 years at 3.5 isn't "attaching a lot to dump" territory. If they retain a certain amount they may even get value back.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think Clutter still has value but he is overpaid. If they could retain up to 1 mil they could maybe move him. They just need to replace him on the 4th line with someone on an ELC.

He's had injury issues from what I understand.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
From what i've seen them try and get rid of: Ladd, Leddy, Clutterbuck.
I have a hard time believing they’re going to be able to move Ladd. Leddy and Clutterbuck are moveable, but if you pay Barzal 10.9, Pulock his 6, and move Leddy and Clutterbuck, while taking back no cap, you’re already at 84 Million bucks with an 81.5 million dollar cap that’s staying flat for a couple seasons, And Devon Toews likely looking for 4+ million as an RFA. If they find a way to move Ladd and Komarov and Cizilas out as well, they can probably do it, but that is a very thin team that will cost a fortune in futures to make cap compliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->