Would you like to watch playoff series for 3rd place.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Just no.

As was mentioned earlier it works in the Olympics/Worlds cause those are 1-game playoffs. Players are looking at 3 round-robin games + 4 playoff games for 7 games total.

After an 82-game season and 12-21 playoff games players are pretty beat up. After the season ends for a team (win or lose) you always hear about how players were playing with a broken hand, a partially torn ACL, punctured lung etc.

Asking them to play another 4 games (minimum) on top of that, when they don't have a chance of winning the cup is borderline inhumane.

What'd you end up with is most of the "stars" of both teams in the third place playoffs would take the series off to start recovering from their injuries. And a bunch of 3rd-4th liners + AHL emergency callups battling for a trophy nobody really cares about.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I love bronze medal games and especially if Sweden wins it since it means that you end the tournament with a win. Our bronze in the fifa world cup 94 was more celebrated in our small country than gold medals in others (happened to be in countries that won the gold 4 times...).

But I just can’t see it working in the NHL. It’s the cup or nothing. It’s just different when it’s not nations competing.

Reactions: shtorm2005

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty dumb imo. It would make the regular season too meaningless. Already more than 50% of the teams make the playoffs and that's enough. Playoff hockey is on another level compared to regular season and I don't want to see teams who struggle to get 30 wins in the regular season playing in the playoffs.

That is the point. Why have a pointless playoff series for 3rd place? I just happened to notice that it could actually work and if the point was just to have more playoff then this would certainly accomplish that. I even said that I would not be for this.

I also don't think it is "pretty dumb", I think it would work, I just don't like it.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hockey in June already gets fatiguing enough when something is on the line, imagine if it was pointless. Say if my team was fighting for that as well I would find it annoying they risking potential injury for nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad