Would you like to see the coaches challenge expanded to penalties?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
They allow almost anything to be challenged at the NBA.

Do you want to see NHL coaches challenge expanded to penalty calls?

Coaches would still only have one challenge to use for offside/goal review and now penalty. *For an unsuccessful penalty challenge it becomes a 4 minute 5 on 4 PP and not 5 on 3.

Here is another interesting twist. If the penalty was due to a dive or faking. The opposing team would be penalized instead

I know there will be pushback that this may delay the game even further. But having this option forces the ref to be more alert. Also take out bad penalty calls when someone trips on their own etc.

Yes or not to expansion?

Reactions: BruinsBtn

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey

Coaches would still only have one challenge to use for offside/goal review and now penalty. *For an unsuccessful penalty challenge it becomes a 4 minute 5 on 4 PP and not 5 on 3.

Here is another interesting twist. If the penalty was due to a dive or faking. The opposing team would be penalized instead

I know there will be pushback that this may delay the game even further. But having this option forces the ref to be more alert. Also take out bad penalty calls when someone trips on their own etc.

Yes or not to expansion?
No, no more expanding coaches challenges. And stop making offside reviewable.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Yes or not to expansion?
How are you going to conclusively define a dive, though? I see embellishment calls that don't seem like embellishment at all. How do you prove intent?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How are you going to conclusively define a dive, though? I see embellishment calls that don't seem like embellishment at all. How do you prove intent?

Eye test via refs/hq. I mean they call dives now if its blatant

Lets say a small cross check causes an opposing player to dive forward to draw a penalty. For example

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sure so long as you don't change the following:

- Limit of 1 rule per game
- If you lose the challenge, your team gets a penalty instead

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Lets say a small cross check causes an opposing player to dive forward to draw a penalty. For example

They call "dives" that aren't blatant. A hip check knocks you to the ice and they call the interference and a dive. That's my point. And they never call a dive unless they reward it by calling the "offender" the diver is trying to burn.

The whole rule is idiotic.

Reactions: The Examiner

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
Cmon. Refs need to be on alert

Their "makeup" penalty system is bs sometimes
It already takes them too long to figure out if a player was offside or a goal was knocked in over the crossbar. I don't want to sit around for 10 minutes while they scrutinize a hold in slow motion from 15 angles.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Sure so long as you don't change the following:

- Limit of 1 rule per game
- If you lose the challenge, your team gets a penalty instead

This is the correct answer. One challenge aside wouldn’t slow the game down significantly, and increases the quality since dumb calls wouldn’t decide them (well, as often...).

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017

It's not difficult to lose your balance when on skates. A little crosscheck in the right spot at the right time will absolutely do it but will still appear unlikely to have caused such a reaction.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
I'd be on board with it for a very limited scope of what is reviewable - say a high sticking call if it was a team member and not an opponent that did the high sticking. I can't think of many other calls that should be included - I don't want to waste time arguing what you thought should or shouldn't be a trip or a hook, etc.
I like the idea of back to back minors rather than a 5 on 3 for unsuccessful challenge but you would have to come up with something for the end of the game with less than 4 minutes to go.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's not difficult to lose your balance when on skates. A little crosscheck in the right spot at the right time will absolutely do it but will still appear unlikely to have caused such a reaction.

Again it would have to be blatant

Dive situations though will be more rare. Because it would have to be drastic

Situation where a player loses their balance or trips on their own skates but a penalty is called will the ones most targeted. Those definitely should not be called penalties

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'd be on board with it for a very limited scope of what is reviewable - say a high sticking call if it was a team member and not an opponent that did the high sticking. I can't think of many other calls that should be included - I don't want to waste time arguing what you thought should or shouldn't be a trip or a hook, etc.
I like the idea of back to back minors rather than a 5 on 3 for unsuccessful challenge but you would have to come up with something for the end of the game with less than 4 minutes to go.

High stick, trip, hook, and interference all should apply IMO- any call that involves one player inhibiting another’s involvement in the play. The basis of the challenge would then be what you describe- did the penalized player really commit the act, or did the opposing team’s player do it on their own/have it done to them by a teammate?

There are trips called all the time where a player fell on their own, hooks where they grab their opponent’s stick, and high sticks that are friendly fire. A challenge is meant to reverse those cases where the official obviously got it wrong and so the same standard for goalie interference (“is there enough evidence to overturn the call on the ice?”) would apply.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

True. That is looking way far ahead. Good one

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Get rid of challenges altogether

No way man. The goal reviews are crucial sometimes

The offsides I would get rid of 1st before penalty challenge. It can happen 5 minute before a goal is scored. Which is too many mins elapse

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No thanks. The Avs have already had a game 7 tying goal disallowed for "offsides" on a review, despite every camera angle showing Landeskog's left skate was clearly on the blueline. No reason to give the league more chances to arbitrarily decide games.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
I think they should give each coach a single challenge and if they lose it, they lose it.

The penalty afterwards is just f***ing stupid beyond words.

Reactions: ellja3

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No thanks. The Avs have already had a game 7 tying goal disallowed for "offsides" on a review, despite every camera angle showing Landeskog's left skate was clearly on the blueline. No reason to give the league more chances to arbitrarily decide games.

So you are good with someone tripping on their own skates and penalty called on an Avs player ......tie game with 5 mins left in the 3rd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->