Would You Like to See Pavel Bure Lace Up the Skates One Final Time?

JA

The Province's Jonathan McDonald (sports editor) published this blog entry on Friday, April 5th. I hadn't seen it until today, but it led me to wonder how incredible it would be to see Pavel Bure lace up the skates in a Canucks uniform one final time:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/04/05/canucks-hat-trick-lace-em-up-pavel-youre-going-in/
1. Stan Smyl joked that Pavel Bure could probably still lace them up, and he might be right, because Bure looked pretty good during his appearances at the Rog yesterday afternoon and evening. It’s hard to go back, it always is, but I would pay good money to step onto the ice with Bure at a charity event, and just watch him go. I’d ask him just to do a lap of the ice, to see if his speed is still anywhere near blinding. Let me tell you, he wouldn’t be your average beer-leaguer, that’s for sure. The ovation Bure received during the Canucks-Oilers game wasn’t that surprising: For all the negative stuff that happened during his years here, he was still the most exciting player the Canucks have ever had, one of hockey’s best. When you see the few career highlights they showed on the scoreboard, they take your breath away. You rarely see those kinds of moments in the NHL now, and with Bure they happened all the time. When they retire his jersey, as they most certainly will, it will be a good thing. And kudos to current Canucks ownership and management for not only thawing the relationship between the club and Bure, but truly warming it up. And kudos to Gino Odjick, Bure’s protector and best friend who, no doubt, is somewhat responsible for much of what has transpired recently.

Though Pavel of course played his final NHL game just over 10 years ago (March 15, 2003) and had not skated until only one year ago at the Canada-Russia Summit Series exhibition in Russia, he has been skating recently and has participated in numerous games.

The idea has been floated around by fans who feel it would be a truly remarkable sight if Pavel would don a Canucks sweater one final time and participate in a charity match or even a preseason game.

Theoren Fleury recently came out of retirement in order to end his career on his own terms and to bring closure to his tumultuous career. He performed at a respectable level, but more importantly, he ended his career the way he wanted to.

111346-theoren-fleury.jpg

Another player who returned to the game after having been retired for five years was Claude Lemieux. He returned to the NHL at age 43.

86168634_display_image.jpg

Pavel left Vancouver on bad terms, and to finish his career and retire here in the city that adored him would be magnificent. Though I don't think we could expect much, it would be a tremendous gesture.

When he played in the Canada-Russia Summit Series exhibition in February 2012, he scored a hat trick:

2012-Bure1.jpg

http://thehockeywriters.com/pavel-bure-russia-win-summit-series-rematch-with-canada/
Pavel Bure scored three goals while four other Russians netted one goal each as Russia defeated Canada 7-5 at Megasport Arena in Moscow in the 40th anniversary rematch of the 1972 Summit Series.

Take it with a grain of salt, certainly, but at the very least it demonstrates he still possesses some semblance of his former skill. He has since played in two other high-profile matches, and was seen skating at Rogers Arena last week.

Pavel+Bure+2012+Hockey+Hall+Fame+Legends+Game+ksgHVA_DiR6x.jpg

Here's Pavel from the Canada-Russia Summit Series exhibition last February:

Here's a look at Pavel from the HHOF Legends Classic. You can see a few of his chances at the end of the video, and throughout:

So much has changed over the past year. During the 2011 Stanley Cup run, Pavel was interviewed by Sportsnet, and admitted to having not skated at all since retiring from professional hockey. Since then, he seems to have become comfortable in his skates again. He has become a Hall of Famer, will have his jersey retired by the Canucks, and has finally become a Canuck once again.

How would you feel if Pavel Bure were to be offered one game in the upcoming preseason? Should he be offered one? While it is certainly, at this point, only a hypothetical, we can see Pavel still can play hockey and still retains some of his former ability. Perhaps he may even dazzle the crowd with a few moves. More importantly, though, it would be an incredible gesture, and we as fans would be able to cheer him on one last time. GM Mike Gillis has offered players 'sentimental contracts' before, such as Todd Fedoruk, Brendan Morrison, and even Dan Cloutier. Would you like to see Pavel suit up one final time in a Canucks uniform before his number is ultimately raised to the rafters and his legacy becomes immortalized?

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. It would be great to hear some thoughts and opinions.

Also, the Montreal Canadiens did this to some extent with their alumni in 2009. Rather than bring them out for a game, they had them skate out for a full warmup in gear before the actual hockey match that night:

Perhaps the 1993-94 team could come out in full gear to celebrate their 20th anniversary next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think it would be better to remember him as a dominating player, not as a shadow of his former self. Even if it's a preseason game, he's still playing against guys that are fighting for roster spots. Nobody is going to give him a free ride. His knees are blown out, he isn't going to have the speed to break free and shine offensively. He might not even be fast enough anymore to avoid punishing checks.

Sure, let him sign a 24 hour contract to retire as a Canuck, but leave the pre-season games to the guys that are fighting for roster spots.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Really depends on Bure.
If he wants to, he will come back.

I think he is just enjoying life right now.
He seems looser...
And he is willing to return to Vancouver...
After all that had happened.

He might lace on for charity and special events...
But I doubt he will seriously come back.

Personally...
It is best to remember him in his prime...

Take Jordan for example.
When he made the second comeback...
Although he is still a great player...
He was not the player he was...
And there was more bad memories than good ones.
It did mire his career a bit...

Last edited:

yoss

May 25, 2011
Pre-season? If he's still in the neighbourhood, lets get him on the ice and in game shape for the post season!

One can dream.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canadiens really seem to have a handle on this stuff. Following their example is an excellent idea. They honored Bob Gainey with a pregame ceremony, a few years ago. They showed a video tribute and he did a lap in full gear. Pavel Bure would get a raucous ovation if he sped up the ice for a few strides in similar context.

JA

The Canadiens really seem to have a handle on this stuff. Following their example is an excellent idea. They honored Bob Gainey with a pregame ceremony, a few years ago. They showed a video tribute and he did a lap in full gear. Pavel Bure would get a raucous ovation if he sped up the ice for a few strides in similar context.

The Habs certainly know how to celebrate their heritage in first-class fashion. An arrangement like that would be truly magnificent:

Last edited by a moderator:

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
i think it would be cool if he did something like skate a lap to symbolize he's forever a canuck. when they showed him on the jumbotron last week it was awesome to see him put his hand on his heart and wave to the fans.

glad pavel is returning to the vancouver family. and speaking of family, sounds as if bure is settling down and getting ready to raise his own family. the thing about having kids is...you start to think about your legacy and the things you've done in your life that your kids can look up to.

i'm sure his kids will be proud to see his # forever hanging in the house that bure built

- sorry if this is a cheezy post, i'm a new father and can't help it :)

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
^ Congrats bro :yo:

I would love to see him in the last regular season game.

Bure has been keeping fit with sports that are quite hard on your body like BJJ.

OlegValente.jpg

Look who showed up to train
The fighter was Oleg Taktarov (17w, 5l), who was taken to the academy by Pavel Bure, an ice hockey star and Jiu-Jitsu purple belt.

It's not going to happen, but it would be a moment for the ages.

Edit: And how big would the smiles be on both teams if Bure was out there?

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ignoring his age, his injuries would prevent him from playing competitively, IMO.

Would love to see him skate in an alumni or charity game - and I think he would be up for that, too. I also like the idea of having him do a lap whenever our ceremony to honor him is.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
^ Congrats bro :yo:

I would love to see him in the last regular season game.

Bure has been keeping fit with sports that are quite hard on your body like BJJ.

OlegValente.jpg

It's not going to happen, but it would be a moment for the ages.

Edit: And how big would the smiles be on both teams if Bure was out there?

man, Kevin Bieksa looks like **** next to Pavel in that picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad