Would you let your kids play hockey

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Around us, in the US, kids don't have contact until they are at least 12--and later if you stay at lower levels. There is always a chance for a hit, even in a non-hitting league but those chances are not significantly higher than soccer. Heck, after playing 12 years of tackle football, the two hardest head shots I ever took happened while battling for headers in rec soccer. The hardest hit my son ever took/delivered was when somebody skated backwards into him without ever knowing he was there and he had no time to change course. Even in high school where there were some head hunters, he was aware enough on the ice to watch his spots by that point and generally guys who are only out there to hit don't last long. Either somebody better gets them or the refs sit them or good coaches don't play them.

Basically--if you are worried about your kid taking head shots, I can't really tell you any sport that doesn't include the chance of shot to the head from a ball or potential collision. Just teach them right, give them good fundamentals and find coaches that treat teaching the game as the most important aspect of sports.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
simple question, but with everything that has been discovered about brain injuries in the last 5 or 10 years not even needing to be caused by hits to the head but clean shoulder to chest hits as well as how there is a mentality among hockey players at all levels to play through pain would you still let your kids play ice hockey?
Yes to hockey. No to football. Life ain't safe, but there are degrees of danger. FYI, I played both. Never more than bumps and bruises in hockey, but I'll walk with a slight limp forever thanks to four football-related knee surgeries (and I never had a concussion... that I remember).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->