Would you hire Mike Babcock as your team's head coach?

Would you hire Mike Babcock as head coach?

• Total voters

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I feel like he's a guy that can get it done with a great team (Detroit, Canada) but the players hate him. I wouldn't want him for a rebuilding team but might take a shot with him if I'm a team like the Capitals before their Cup.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If my team was coming out of a rebuild and starting to contend he would be a great guy to push a team over the hump. I dont think he belongs anywhere near a young/or rebuilding team.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
No. Even if I wasn't a Leafs fan and was seeing it from another franchise's perspective, my answer would still be no. I wouldn't want someone with the character and integrity issues that Babcock has leading my team from behind the bench.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Yes. A team like the Blue Jackets, Wild, Stars, Ducks or Islanders (gritty, veteran team lacking star power) would be a good fit (although I like Torts and Trotz more at this point)

He can make a bad team good, but he cant make a good team great.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
a Seattle landing makes sense for him if that franchise is willing to look past this bad media, and likely by then it's either old news or he's shown some humility and it's water under the bridge. He's a very recognizable coach, so going to a team that is likely to be bad & searching for an on-ice identity for a while would give the team something to market and more than enough runway that he's likely replaced by the time they actually start to compete.

The Vegas story is likely an outlier and expansion franchises going forward are probably back to that 7-10 years of existence before any real dividends get paid on the ice, so that makes sense to me.

I don't think Babcock is a coach you choose to win with, he's been blessed with great teams and ridden them to victory, then mis-allocated the credit to himself imo

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Probably he's probably better than most Sens coaches for the last decade.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Forget the Marner thing, he's incredibly stubborn about what he wants as a coach. It gets ridiculous after a while.

But I think he would work well with an experienced team.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Depends who else is available, he wouldn't be the top of my list of coaches but if he was the best available coach at the time, yeah why not?

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
I'd hire him as an assistant coach to put the fear of god into a slumping group of players and coaching staff.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think he has lost all respect with this physcho test he put Marner through with his list. Apparently isn't first time he's done this as has come out did something similar in Detroit as well. He thinks he's smarter then everyone and went too far. I wouldn't let him near my team personally.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Babcock was at the helm when the Leafs went from being a laughing stock to a respectable playoff team who despite their clear issues on the backend managed to push the Bruins to 7 games two years in a row.

Like all coaches he has his flaws but he’s nowhere near as bad as hfboards makes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad