Would you feel even the least bit guilty if you were John Tavares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Of the posters on here over the age of 25, I would guess nearly all have quit a job at some point. How is Tavares leaving NYI any different than that? He is taking a job that he thinks is a better fit for him and his family.

No. I would not feel guilty at all.

It's the fans that should feel guilty for putting unreasonable demands on him, and the NYI organization should feel guilty for failing repeatedly to provide a winning environment for him while he was there.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
He's probably more pissed than guilty. He wasted most of his prime on a crap organization while being underpaid.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is all good, but do you think you would have reacted the same way if this happened to your team? Do you understand why Islander fans are upset?

EDIT: I see sports less close to business and more close to band of warriors going to war together. That's how I see it, and that's how I play sports. Getting paid for it is just gravy. If this was about business there is no reason for JT to post himself wearing Maple Leaf pajamas. This had nothing to do with the company JT played for, only the uniform he was wearing.

I was pissed when Hossa left Pittsburgh (and he was there for 6 months) and I would have booed him if I would have had the chance, but I did understand and respect his choice.

As a fan, you can be disappointed, nothing wrong with that, but John Tavares should not care about that. Understand it, treat the fans with respect when asked about it, but CARE? No.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Players are doing a job. Tavares felt the Leafs offered him a better chance to reach the top so he took it. It's easy to sit on the computer and talk shit about athletes in these situations, but don't pretend like any of you wouldn't jump at the chance to work for a better company and/or more pay. He didn't owe anyone anything.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Didn't Tavares tell the NYI management not to trade him (during the 2017-2018 season) because he was still interested in resigning there? If that's true that's pretty bad when he really had no intention of signing on the Island. Teammates, fans and management are right to be mad at him if he lied to them over that, and robbed them of a nice haul he could've returned as a rental. Pretty shady move.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
I was pissed when Hossa left Pittsburgh (and he was there for 6 months) and I would have booed him if I would have had the chance, but I did understand and respect his choice.

As a fan, you can be disappointed, nothing wrong with that, but John Tavares should not care about that. Understand it, treat the fans with respect when asked about it, but CARE? No.

Then he shouldn't care when they boo him every time they meet on the ice. Maybe he won't, maybe he will. We'll see how human he is when he faces his former team and fans.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't think Leafs fans reacted like this when sundin left

Sharks fans didn't react like this when Marleau left..

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Do all those posting here think they would have felt any different as a fan if the same thing happened to your team?

Funny you should say so, because some Leafs fans right now are already turning on William Nylander because he doesn't seem willing to budge to "help the team." So there are quite a few hypocritical Leafs fans.

But, for the most part, fans would be unhappy with the results if a star left as a UFA, but not personally call him a "traitor" or "Judas." The reaction from the Islanders fanbase, from what I've seen, has been appalling.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ok. That's what I wanted to hear. If your top player went all JUDAS on you, of course you would have felt the same way. Cmon :skeptic:

As an adult, I've had dealings with similar decisions handled in similar ways made by people in my life far closer to me than athletes on my favourite sports team, and I've managed not to find the need to vilify them beyond rational justification.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You cannot fault the guy for wanting to play for the team he grew up a fan of. With the way the islanders have performed during his tenure it was an easy way out for him.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I don't get that players would "owe" anything to the fans or to the team. It's just business.

Rehabguy

Oct 2, 2011
As an adult, I've had dealings with similar decisions handled in similar ways made by people in my life far closer to me than athletes on my favourite sports team, and I've managed not to find the need to vilify them beyond rational justification.
This is sports, we are fans (fanatics). It is what it is.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Loyalty died a long long time ago. Hockey is a business. Do you think I'm loyal to my Company? Business is business. They'd get rid of me and not think twice.

I don't believe this for a second. Loyalty still exists, but John was loyal to his first true love the Leafs. He chose that loyalty.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->