Would You Extend Markstrom?

Would you extend Markstrom?

• No. I would look to trade him by the 2020 trade deadline.

• Yes. But I would wait until after next season has started and evaluate along the way.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but I wouldn't give him anything beyond a 2 year extension.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but I would give him more money in exchange for shorter term.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but give him longer term in exchange for less AAV.

Results are only viewable after voting.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem with trading Markstrom is 2 fold.

1 - he has just started to break out at 27/28 and his service years as a #1 are limited and questionable. effecting his return value.
2 -We have literally no idea yet how Demko will be at shouldering a starting role or any role for that matter. I mean sure he looks the part but its a really risky proposition.

It's really too bad we haven't seen more Demko this year as it would have been nice to flirt with the idea of Markstrom for draft picks
That concussion really screwed up the season. Then he tweaks his knee.

Never liked Nilsson getting a 2 year term after Demko had spent a year in the A. Should have found someone who would take a 1 year deal to see what you have in Demko after 2 years in the A.

Reactions: Hit the post

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why are people worried about the expansion?

1. It is 2 years away. A lot can change in that time. Both could be stars, both could suck, one could be good and one meh. One could get a career ending injury. One might be traded.

2. You keep the best one.

3. If you lose one of Markstrom/Demko you save another player. Having two good goalies means you have can have more good players since they don't get taken if a goalie is.

4. They might not get taken at all. They might take Juolevi.

5. You might also pay Seattle to take one of Benning's dud contracts. Ie have them take Eriksson and get our 2021 1st.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Trade him, capitalize on his career season. Sign a UFA to backup or split time with Demko. You could even make a trade with a team that needs to unload a young goalie to avoid waivers like Pittsburgh and Tristan Jarry. Shouldn't cost too much. Many options much preferable to a multi year $5 million+ extension for Markstrom.

Reactions: Bobby Digital

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This. This is the only thing that makes sense.

This is also why the Canucks should have been giving Demko more starts this season, but once again a lack of foresight hurts them in the long run.

Markstrom will be 30 by the time his next contract kicks in (and 31 midway through the first year of a new contract). He probably has a few more good years left, so he should have value. Demko is supposedly the goalie of the future and should have even more good years left. With the upcoming expansion draft we can only keep one.

IF this is a rebuild, there's no question we trade the older goalie and we keep Demko. But it's not a rebuild so this is in question.

I would look to extract value for Markstrom at the draft, and then look for a veteran backup to split time with Demko. Cam Talbot or Brian Elliot wouldn't be bad options. Or even Mike Smith if he leaves Calgary.

There are also different stages of rebuilding. In the beginning of a rebuild, I think the right move is to have good goaltending whether it's an established young goalie or a veteran goalie who is able to provide a steady presence in net (like a Ryan Miller). Now? That's a tough one because the Canucks are looking to challenge for the playoffs.

At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer in having good goaltending. At the time Benning signed Miller, there were posters here arguing that the Canucks should have went with Lack and Markstrom. Can you imagine? The Jets are a cautionary tale. Their rebuild didn't take flight until they found a capable #1 goaltender. Their bet on Pavelec was not a good one. The Leafs went out early in the rebuild and got Andersen.

I'm not saying don't trade Markstrom if there is a good offer available. But you need a replacement. Even if Demko got more games this season, the Canucks shouldn't start the season expecting him to be start close to 60 games. Honestly, if Demko is the goalie of the future I think the fact that Markstrom has another year left is key.

As for extending Markstrom, I don't see why you can't have two capable goaltenders. Demko is 23. You can give him a 2 year bridge. If Demko is any good you protect him in the expansion draft. If you lose Markstrom to the expansion draft then so be it. I honestly don't know why people would be concerned about losing Markstrom to the expansion draft. He'll be 31 year old goalie who I can't see getting a NMC.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
It depends on when you think this team will be good again, and if Markstrom can be part of that. He's only 29, does not seem to be injury prone, and has long been a highly touted prospect who has finally found his groove. If we're good in 3 years (not unimaginable), Markstrom can be still be part of it.

I'm inclined to keep him around and let the chips fall where they may with Demko and the ED. If Demko starts looking like a starter then that's a good problem to have. Pittsburgh was in a situation like that and they survived just fine. If you trade Markstrom and Demko *doesn't* start looking like a starter then you're back in the basement, hard (I realize that some people here want that, but ownership doesn't).

This is all academic of course as ownership wants to be as competitive as possible right now, and that means keeping Markstrom. Trading Markstrom now is basically a signal to the fans that the team is so far away that a 29 year old goalie won't be part of the eventual answer. That might be true, but these owners are not going to signal that in this market.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He’s worth re-signing, depending on circumstance.

I think many of us agree that we should be pushing for the playoffs in the not too distant future, for me personally I am figuring the year after next (Markstrom’s first UFA year). Of course, lots needs to fall into place to make that happen. We will need to acquire a couple of high end UFA players, and hit on a few more draft picks.

What I don’t want to see happen is for the goalie position to become a hinderance. As much as I want Demko to earn the starting role and run with it, he simply may not be able to. So, my vote would be to continue to assess throughout next season. Still give Markstrom the bulk of the games, but look for Demko to truly shine in his 20 or so starts before the deadline. If he plays well, I’d probably still TRY to re-sign Markstrom to a cap friendly deal to keep him and Demko as a tandem, but, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him either if a good offer was on the table.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Keep all options open, but keep him and Demko until there is someone looking like the permanent starter. That hasn't happened yet, it might not happen next year, so not signing Markstrom would be foolhardy.

If we get a "too good to be true" offer, or are out of contention next deadline, a trade could be the way to go too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There are also different stages of rebuilding. In the beginning of a rebuild, I think the right move is to have good goaltending whether it's an established young goalie or a veteran goalie who is able to provide a steady presence in net (like a Ryan Miller). Now? That's a tough one because the Canucks are looking to challenge for the playoffs.

At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer in having good goaltending. At the time Benning signed Miller, there were posters here arguing that the Canucks should have went with Lack and Markstrom. Can you imagine? The Jets are a cautionary tale. Their rebuild didn't take flight until they found a capable #1 goaltender. Their bet on Pavelec was not a good one. The Leafs went out early in the rebuild and got Andersen.

I'm not saying don't trade Markstrom if there is a good offer available. But you need a replacement. Even if Demko got more games this season, the Canucks shouldn't start the season expecting him to be start close to 60 games. Honestly, if Demko is the goalie of the future I think the fact that Markstrom has another year left is key.

As for extending Markstrom, I don't see why you can't have two capable goaltenders. Demko is 23. You can give him a 2 year bridge. If Demko is any good you protect him in the expansion draft. If you lose Markstrom to the expansion draft then so be it. I honestly don't know why people would be concerned about losing Markstrom to the expansion draft. He'll be 31 year old goalie who I can't see getting a NMC.

The problem is the Canucks haven't even started a rebuild, so that throws that whole thing out the window.

Reactions: timw33

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
All true, but this summer Marky has a lot of trade value. Trade Marky for picks, and sign Anderson to split games with Demko.

erm, you DO realize that our previous backup goalie (who was considered completely useless by this team) has significantly outplayed Anderson since he showed up in Ottawa. Hey, what am I saying, DO IT, it should be fun to watch...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The problem with trading Markstrom is 2 fold.

1 - he has just started to break out at 27/28 and his service years as a #1 are limited and questionable. effecting his return value.
2 -We have literally no idea yet how Demko will be at shouldering a starting role or any role for that matter. I mean sure he looks the part but its a really risky proposition.

It's really too bad we haven't seen more Demko this year as it would have been nice to flirt with the idea of Markstrom for draft picks

Exactly how does Demko "look the part"? He looks like a deer in headlights to me... so far...

Reactions: B-rock

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
erm, you DO realize that our previous backup goalie (who was considered completely useless by this team) has significantly outplayed Anderson since he showed up in Ottawa. Hey, what am I saying, DO IT, it should be fun to watch...
Top 5 pick again next season would be a good thing, no? This getting to mediocrity too soon can ruin a rebuild, as it provides lesser quality first round picks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

At the end of the day, I'm a firm believer in having good goaltending. At the time Benning signed Miller, there were posters here arguing that the Canucks should have went with Lack and Markstrom. Can you imagine?
Imagine what? Worst case we actually start the rebuild, get a bunch more more high draft picks, get into the McDavid lottery, much a much better prospect pool? Rebuilding teams testing goalies makes sense, teams with playoffs plan need good, proven goalies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This. This is the only thing that makes sense.

This is also why the Canucks should have been giving Demko more starts this season, but once again a lack of foresight hurts them in the long run.

Markstrom will be 30 by the time his next contract kicks in (and 31 midway through the first year of a new contract). He probably has a few more good years left, so he should have value. Demko is supposedly the goalie of the future and should have even more good years left. With the upcoming expansion draft we can only keep one.

IF this is a rebuild, there's no question we trade the older goalie and we keep Demko. But it's not a rebuild so this is in question.

I would look to extract value for Markstrom at the draft, and then look for a veteran backup to split time with Demko. Cam Talbot or Brian Elliot wouldn't be bad options. Or even Mike Smith if he leaves Calgary.

Exactly! The big problem is our owner refuses to hire an experienced GM, who will rebuild properly, and trade Markstrom.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd give him the same deal as Devan Dubnyk, which works out to $30M/6 years in today's cap, with no NTC attached. I'd be willing to give him partial NTC protection (say 16 teams starting in 2021) in exchange for less cap.

If we give him a NTC then Demko is gone to Seattle.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Definitely extend Markstrom. Playing like a No. 1 goalie and need the shelter for Demko.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Definitely extend Markstrom. I can see a scenario where Demko gets taken in the expansion draft, wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if he becomes a starter in Seattle.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Definitely extend Markstrom. I can see a scenario where Demko gets taken in the expansion draft, wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth if he becomes a starter in Seattle.

I would say Colorado's situation in 2017 would be somewhat comparable. Opted to protect Varlarmov and exposed home grown 2nd rounder Calvin Pickard who had a bit of injury trouble and arguably a lower ceiling.

Pickard eventually was exposed on waivers himself, passed thru, and traded to Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad