Would You Extend Markstrom?

Would you extend Markstrom?

• No. I would look to trade him by the 2020 trade deadline.

• Yes. But I would wait until after next season has started and evaluate along the way.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but I wouldn't give him anything beyond a 2 year extension.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but I would give him more money in exchange for shorter term.

• Yes. I would extend him this summer but give him longer term in exchange for less AAV.

Results are only viewable after voting.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's been a lot of talk (at least among the media) about the Canucks possibly extending Markstrom. At the beginning of the season I wouldn't even think of doing that. By the middle of the season when Markstrom started playing well I thought for sure I would wait until the end of next season as I wanted to see a larger sample size. Now, I have kind of opened up to the idea of extending Markstrom.

I have ruled out the possibly of extending Markstrom for only a year. I don't think that's a realistic possibility. In terms of money, Kostinen + has been brought up as a likely comparable and I think that is likely a realistic ball park.

At the end of the day, I think I will go with wait and see followed by nothing beyond 2 year extension. I wonder how many here are absolutely confident in Markstrom going forward (for the next 3 years at least).

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I'd give him the same deal as Devan Dubnyk, which works out to $30M/6 years in today's cap, with no NTC attached. I'd be willing to give him partial NTC protection (say 16 teams starting in 2021) in exchange for less cap.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Honestly, Markstrom has been very very good this year. The Canucks MVP. Has he developed into a #1 goalie? It looks like it. And who couldn't use a #1 goalie.

I also love his compete level, and drive to get better. I say sign him long(ish) term. 4 years would be ideal. If Demko develops and starts knocking on the door a la Schneider, then you have 2 great assets, and can move one for something good.

Just don't give him a Luongo contract...

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
I'd give him the same deal as Devan Dubnyk, which works out to $30M/6 years in today's cap, with no NTC attached. I'd be willing to give him partial NTC protection (say 16 teams starting in 2021) in exchange for less cap.
Jesus, so i assume you're for trading Demko then.
Give him 2x6mil and trade him after 1 year, then Demko should be ready.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda

Bird in the hand is better than a two in the bush.

No idea what Demko will turn into. There is hope - but Marky is already better and starter material.

Remember when LA had Bernier behind Quick? Everyone thought they'd move on from Quick and let the potential of Bernier carry the position for years. Then Quick went on the unbelieveable run on their first cup win and Bernier is out of the league (also, remember when Bernier thought Nelson Mandella was some sort of sports person? :laugh:)

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Bird in the hand is better than a two in the bush.

No idea what Demko will turn into. There is hope - but Marky is already better and starter material.

Remember when LA had Bernier behind Quick? Everyone thought they'd move on from Quick and let the potential of Bernier carry the position for years. Then Quick went on the unbelieveable run on their first cup win and Bernier is out of the league (also, remember when Bernier thought Nelson Mandella was some sort of sports person? :laugh:)

Sure there is the unknown, but i'd do everything i can to see what i have in Demko before even exercising the idea of extending Markstrom, who will be 30/31 after this current deal is over.
That's why i really like the idea of giving Demko the starts against lower tier teams next year. After that you could be able to see the blueprint of what you got in him, basically the same thing we did with Schneider, so he has value if we're really looking to trade him.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?

Why are we assuming Demko is going to be ready? He needs to show something more first imo, before you move on from the guy who's finally showing himself to capable after many long years.

Reactions: B-rock

DomY

Aug 11, 2008

Are we approaching this exercise from the viewpoint that we should do what we can to win a cup, or are we trying to maximize the value in our players?

If it is the former, I believe Markstrom has developed into a true #1 (in the sense that I think he's a #1 goalie on a playoff team, maybe not a 70GP a season one). Vancouver should hang onto these types of players. While the Canucks have been finding success in the last few years with goaltending, it's not too long ago that Vancouver was deemed the goalie graveyard if the entire NHL. I think I counted something like 25 goalies between McLean and Luongo.

If it's the latter, we should immediately trade Markstrom to whichever of our division rivals (Calgary or SJS) falls on their faces in the playoffs as a result of poor goaltending. Roll the dice with Demko and DiPietro and hopefully not have to overpay for goaltending down the line.

We could end up losing Demko in the Expansion Draft even if we don't trade him. And value you'd get in a trade for Demko needs to be weighed against the value of guys you're going to lose in the ED (Juolevi/Hutton/Edler or Virtanen/Roussel/Leivo). Markstrom himself could get exposed if he turns out to be a flash in the pan. I'm not so sure he is though.

Reactions: Alexander Edler

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Are we approaching this exercise from the viewpoint that we should do what we can to win a cup, or are we trying to maximize the value in our players?

If it is the former, I believe Markstrom has developed into a true #1 (in the sense that I think he's a #1 goalie on a playoff team, maybe not a 70GP a season one). Vancouver should hang onto these types of players. While the Canucks have been finding success in the last few years with goaltending, it's not too long ago that Vancouver was deemed the goalie graveyard if the entire NHL. I think I counted something like 25 goalies between McLean and Luongo.

If it's the latter, we should immediately trade Markstrom to whichever of our division rivals (Calgary or SJS) falls on their faces in the playoffs as a result of poor goaltending. Roll the dice with Demko and DiPietro and hopefully not have to overpay for goaltending down the line.

We could end up losing Demko in the Expansion Draft even if we don't trade him. And value you'd get in a trade for Demko needs to be weighed against the value of guys you're going to lose in the ED (Juolevi/Hutton/Edler or Virtanen/Roussel/Leivo). Markstrom himself could get exposed if he turns out to be a flash in the pan. I'm not so sure he is though.
Must admit, the thought of the expansion draft didn't even enter my mind.
The thing is, im very skeptical with how the team is being constructed, that the thought of us winning a cup doesn't include Markstrom (mainly because i think that for us to start competing for a Cup, not just making the playoffs, Markstrom will be on the downswing of his career) , i could be wrong of course, but nothing in the past 5 years has made me believe that that will happen. So i would just be patient, see what we have in Demko and make a decision on Markstrom when his contract is up.

Why are we assuming Demko is going to be ready? He needs to show something more first imo, before you move on from the guy who's finally showing himself to capable after many long years.
Thats why i said a post later, that we should be giving Demko the chance to show what he is next year, before making a decision on Markstrom before his current deal is up.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Must admit, the thought of the expansion draft didn't even enter my mind.
The thing is, im very skeptical with how the team is being constructed, that the thought of us winning a cup doesn't include Markstrom (mainly because i think that for us to start competing for a Cup, not just making the playoffs, Markstrom will be on the downswing of his career) , i could be wrong of course, but nothing in the past 5 years has made me believe that that will happen. So i would just be patient, see what we have in Demko and make a decision on Markstrom when his contract is up.

I am not sure how closely you have been watching the team this year, but Markstrom has made several fundamental changes to his game to the extent where pro scouts who specialize in goaltending have claimed that he looks like a totally different goaltender. The change has come due to the fact that Ian Clark has returned as the goaltending coach, who most recently turned Bobrovsky into a Vezina caliber goalie.

I think the changes in his game are real, and I think they are permanent. There will be no opportunity to lock Marky up for cheaper than this.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Extend Markstrom and start shopping Demko. The Canucks are in the position of strength right now.

This is not a situation where you wait things out to see how it will go... that just indicates to the market the move you have to make. There are four scenarios involving Markstrom not being extended:

1) Markstrom is lights out and Demko falters. Likely outcome: Markstrom has all the leverage for a huge contract and either cashes in or walks.
2) Markstrom is lights out and Demko is too - Markstrom walks as a UFA, knowing he doesn't have a future here and can cash in elsewhere and the Canucks lose tremendous potential trade value. Or he signs a big contract and no one offers full value on Demko knowing that he's getting moved. There just aren't enough starting positions open to justify a bidding war on a goalie who will likely have less than 50 career starts at that point.
3) Markstrom falters, Demko takes over as starter - Markstrom holds no trade value
4) Markstrom and Demko both have poor seasons - you can get Markstrom back for cheap, but your future goaltending is up in the air.

There is uncertainty around the level of play that Markstrom delivers going forward, but in a league where Mikko Koskinen will be earning $4.5M (lmao) and Carey Price is at $10M forever, locking up Markstrom between $5.5M - $6M is not a risk. I'd happily give him the Ryan Miller contract (6x3) with no NTC. If you hit scenario 3 above, Demko is still cost controlled in the same way Markstrom was as he took over for Miller and you platoon them. Scenario 4 is no worse than signing Bobrovsky in the summer - you just have to hope one of Markstrom or Demko bounce back the season after.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
I am not sure how closely you have been watching the team this year, but Markstrom has made several fundamental changes to his game to the extent where pro scouts who specialize in goaltending have claimed that he looks like a totally different goaltender. The change has come due to the fact that Ian Clark has returned as the goaltending coach, who most recently turned Bobrovsky into a Vezina caliber goalie.

I think the changes in his game are real, and I think they are permanent. There will be no opportunity to lock Marky up for cheaper than this.
Watched every game this year, so i agree with you. Hes coming into his own, and proving hes a solid #1. As i posted, i just don't think that we'll be competing for a cup while Markstrom is this good.

Reactions: Luckylarry and DomY

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Ah OK my mistake, confused what you were saying. A fair point of view...I guess thats why we watch the games. Hopefully we can compete much sooner than 6 years.

Reactions: Hemty

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Watched every game this year, so i agree with you. Hes coming into his own, and proving hes a solid #1. As i posted, i just don't think that we'll be competing for a cup while Markstrom is this good.
Totally agree. I would trade Marky before this draft.
Would he get us a late first?

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Ah OK my mistake, confused what you were saying. A fair point of view...I guess thats why we watch the games. Hopefully we can compete much sooner than 6 years.
Same here man, same here.
Totally agree. I would trade Marky before this draft.
Would he get us a late first?
Don't think so, more or less because of age. But i can see a team giving up a 2nd.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Don't think so, more or less because of age. But i can see a team giving up a 2nd.
I’d take s second. The trouble is what are the odds JB trades that second for another stalled prospect?

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
It's a really tough call for me. He's a top 15 goaltender this year and with confidence and better shot suppression from a better/healthy D-core could have the league take notice and move into some elite company.

Short term we may not be competitive enough for it to be worth keeping an asset at his highest value whilst not doing anything, long term we risk having to move from Demko and if Markstrom can even maintain this improvement. If we do move from Demko it would suck to see him thrive elsewhere but we do have MikeyD also who looks to have a bright future too....

For the most part I'm glad we can have these discussions again. A goalie controversy is what we specialize in right?.........right?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Is our current goalie circumstance similar to when the Habs chose Price over Hakak? I think we need to go with Demko. We need to trust the young players we are expecting to be our next core.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Need to play it out IMO. No rush.

Goalie contracts, it’s the one position you can’t get wrong in terms of cap hit and term. See Darling, Allen, Grubauer. None are oerformingnup to their contract. Have to see what you truly have in Markstrom.

Any extension to Markstrom needs to be movable either via trade or Seattle taking him in the ED. Given Bennings propensity to overpay that scares me.

Plus there is an expansion draft so only one of he or Demko will be around afterwards.

Rather pay fair market value after seeing how he follows up this season next year than try to get a discount and possibly be wrong and this year was a career season.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Observe them both next season is the most obvious solution

Demko still seems nervous in the NHL, let him shake that going into next season. Also see if Markstrom can keep up his play over the next year. He is only 29, he could be a very very good goalie for another 6 years, we have seen plenty of goalies have their best season's in their 30s. In that case you extend Markstrom and he is your number 1 and you dangle Demko on the trade market

If Demko shows promise to outperform Markstrom during next season then you likely sign Markstrom to more money shorter term and ride them both until Marky is traded/leaves in FA

It's a nice problem to have in comparison to Markstrom just not being very good and Demko not being ready. This is much preferrable as you slowly work Demko in much like Schneider back in the day

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Extend Markstrom and start shopping Demko. The Canucks are in the position of strength right now.

This is not a situation where you wait things out to see how it will go... that just indicates to the market the move you have to make. There are four scenarios involving Markstrom not being extended:

1) Markstrom is lights out and Demko falters. Likely outcome: Markstrom has all the leverage for a huge contract and either cashes in or walks.
2) Markstrom is lights out and Demko is too - Markstrom walks as a UFA, knowing he doesn't have a future here and can cash in elsewhere and the Canucks lose tremendous potential trade value. Or he signs a big contract and no one offers full value on Demko knowing that he's getting moved. There just aren't enough starting positions open to justify a bidding war on a goalie who will likely have less than 50 career starts at that point.
3) Markstrom falters, Demko takes over as starter - Markstrom holds no trade value
4) Markstrom and Demko both have poor seasons - you can get Markstrom back for cheap, but your future goaltending is up in the air.

There is uncertainty around the level of play that Markstrom delivers going forward, but in a league where Mikko Koskinen will be earning $4.5M (lmao) and Carey Price is at $10M forever, locking up Markstrom between $5.5M - $6M is not a risk. I'd happily give him the Ryan Miller contract (6x3) with no NTC. If you hit scenario 3 above, Demko is still cost controlled in the same way Markstrom was as he took over for Miller and you platoon them. Scenario 4 is no worse than signing Bobrovsky in the summer - you just have to hope one of Markstrom or Demko bounce back the season after.
Demko has done nothing at the nhl level. Minimal return at this point. He needs to play to showcase himself.

Canucks have time with Demko. At least until the end of next season. Seattle ED is in 2021.

If you’re wrong on Markstrom and this is just a career season you’re not moving his contract like Allen and Darling. They aren’t getting moved.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Demko has done nothing at the nhl level. Minimal return at this point. He needs to play to showcase himself.

Canucks have time with Demko. At least until the end of next season. Seattle ED is in 2021.

If you’re wrong on Markstrom and this is just a career season you’re not moving his contract like Allen and Darling. They aren’t getting moved.
All true, but this summer Marky has a lot of trade value. Trade Marky for picks, and sign Anderson to split games with Demko.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Simple answer is yes, I would. He's found his groove as a starting goaltender and, IMO, this team will start contending for the playoffs in the next couple of years. We have some good depth coming up in Demko and DiPietro, but they are unproven and a ways away from being consistent NHL goaltenders.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->