Proposal: Would you do this trade?

RedWingsNow*

If we were to trade him, we would split the penalty with the Oilers should he retire early.

As long as he retired sooner rather than later the penalty wouldn't be so bad.

For arguments sake say he retired in 2017 at 37 years old, The Wings would be on the hook for a cap hit of 1.7 million for 2 years and the Oilers would owe just under 900k for 2 years.

If he were to wait another year or 2 though the penalty would grow considerably and the Wings would be responsible for paying all of it.

I thought the entire penalty went with the team that signed the contract

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I thought the entire penalty went with the team that signed the contract

No, it depends.

Assuming we trade Franzen now, and he retires in 2017

Wings get penalty of $1,727,273

Oil penalty of $893,939

It's all about how much money is 'cheated' eg. Franzen makes around 5 mil or more till 16 season. So EDM benefits too from cap circum.

Only way EDM wouldn't get penalty is that we'd trade him after the 16 season when the dollars are smaller than the cap hit.

As for the trade it's

very potential 40 goal scorer coming this way, with under 4 mil cap hit for two more, years and Russian buddy for Datsyuk

and we give up

good D prospect who we have plenty
very good G prospect when we have our goalie locked up for 6 more years.
and Franzen.

Losing Mrazek hurts but only way I wouldn't do this trade is if Yak would bolt to Russia; personally, I find that unlikely.

But EDM wouldn't do this deal, would make little to no sense for them.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It's hard not to sympathize with Holland and the rest of management. They signed these deals assuming it was a convenient loophole for a team with deep pockets. Who would have actually guessed they'd have to restructure the whole damn CBA so soon?

Whoops.

I defended both the Franzen and Zetterberg deals pretty adamantly in the past, but now I just grin through my teeth.

They knew when the CBA was going to expire and knew the LOOP is going to be fixed, how? That is another question, but I bet there were plenty of rumors and scenarios floating around the head offices. They signed those contracts knowing everything, but the market demanded them and so here we are.

The best part about these deals is that they are on players with extremely high compete and work ethics. You know these two, Franz and Z, will play until they can't anymore. ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They knew when the CBA was going to expire and knew the LOOP is going to be fixed, how? That is another question, but I bet there were plenty of rumors and scenarios floating around the head offices. They signed those contracts knowing everything, but the market demanded them and so here we are.

The best part about these deals is that they are on players with extremely high compete and work ethics. You know these two, Franz and Z, will play until they can't anymore. ;)

Not really sure why you include Zetterberg in what I am assuming is an obvious crack at Franzen? I would like you to name lets say 15 players with a higher compete level and work ethic than Zetterberg, go ahead and come up with a wrong list on that one, he and Datsyuk are in a virtual dead heat there and I don't think you are going to come up with many better in the entire league.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Been thinking about this one for a while, so I might as well post it...

Franzen
Mrazek
Ouellett

For

Yukapov
Musil

Edmonton gets a top6 scorer who's big, a goaltending prospect that is at least top 10, and a solid d prospect that projects well in their d pool.

Detroit gets a young top 6 scorer who was drafted 1st overall, and plays a dynamic game. Also a decent d prospect.

Am I crazy?
I don't know whether Edmonton would do that trade, but yeah, I'd do it for sure. I love Ouellet and Mrazek, but we've got a lot of other promising D-prospects in our pipeline. And replacing Franzen with Yakupov would reload our top 6 forward corps for many more years, assuming Yakupov sticks with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad