Would you consider the San Jose Sharks a successful franchise?

Brownies

They've been a competitive team for a LOOOOONG time, they've got a really good fan base which might not have been the case had they been stuck in the bottom of the standings for longer than they've had. They're well managed. All in all, I say a big YES. A cup ? Would be nice but I still give an A or even A+ for the effort.

Reactions: manilaNJ

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
In my opinion they are a very successful franchise. They have a positive balance sheet, had 98.3 percent capacity attendance last season. They draw well (97.3) on the road. So for the NHL they are certainly a successful franchise. On the ice they have been very competitive as well. I guess this can change if they go through 8 or 9 consecutive seasons of crappy on ice performances, but it looks like that market is going to be working long term.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Success off the ice is the only thing that matters in the long run.

What good is winning a hockey game if you're not turning a profit?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I can't speak for Stars fans but I am sure they are very happy with their title from 20 years ago, even if they've struggled since.

Consistency isn't bad, but you play to win the cup. Canes fans saw their team win the cup in 2006 and then make the playoffs once in the 12 years after it, however I'm sure they'd much rather have the cup + multiple years of no playoffs than 12 years of playoffs and no cup. History remembers the teams that won, not the ones that lost.

If you ask someone if they'd rather have 1 cup + 14 years of no playoff games or 15 years of playoff games, if they say the latter then they are lying.
Your right it is about winning the cup, but still success should be consistent and dominant. The sharks have been both for the better part of the decade.

But are the Canes are successful because of something they won 13 years ago? They have only made the playoffs, what....2-3 times since their cup? That’s not success. Sure they won and that’s something they will have over the sharks. And yes their lack of cups is obviously a huge black mark on their franchise in terms of how great they have been. They have still been more competitive than the Canes. For most teams who win the cup, it’s about timing and luck. You need both in the playoffs, which is what makes the cup so hard to achieve and why any team in the playoffs has a chance.

People do remember who won, but people will remember more who made the playoffs the last few years.....which the Canes haven’t. I’m sure a lot of people forget they won a cup considering how poor they have been. That’s not success IMO.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, their fans are spoiled

I can agree that they're successful but it's hard for me to buy the argument that they're spoiled when they haven't won a championship in all of this and have to put up with all the crap that comes with being a perennial playoff loser and have a choker reputation in which a lot of that is unwarranted.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The owner is loving life.. Consistently being a good team and making the playoffs and making money and never having to shell out Stanley Cup bonuses/rings etc lol

I know it sounds odd but its true. I know a former NHLer quite well and his former owner(not currently an owner now) said the best thing that an owner can hope for is consistently making the playoffs and hopefully go 7 games but not win the Cup lol.. He said later in life when not owning a team anymore

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Of course they're successful, but I'd trade some of that consistently-making-the-playoffs success for a Cup. A fan can bask in that glory for a long time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The owner is loving life.. Consistently being a good team and making the playoffs and making money and never having to shell out Stanley Cup bonuses/rings etc lol

I know it sounds odd but its true. I know a former NHLer quite well and his former owner(not currently an owner now) said the best thing that an owner can hope for is consistently making the playoffs and hopefully go 7 games but not win the Cup lol.. He said later in life when not owning a team anymore

It's too bad that that is nonsense. Winning the Cup raises the value of the franchise in the short term so while you may have a point if a team has already won the Cup to consistently be there but come up short but those w/o one don't see that same benefit.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
From a fanbase shit talking perspective? Absolutely not. They're just perennial losers that are fun to pinata.

From a hockey ops/profit/success perspective, or just about every other metric, absolutely. About the class of the NHL in that regard. Always a solid on ice product, good game ops, fan support, fun arena, etc.

Not getting over the hump championship-wise isn't much of a business metric, it's a fan pants-measuring contest (and one I clearly love to participate in given our rivalry). And I guess you could argue championship merch and stuff would give you a profit boost (edit: I see @Pinkfloyd beat me to that, as always), but not as much as 20+ years of consistent challenging. They're about a model franchise in every sense but the Cup.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
the number of tires in the bonfire is surprisingly low
I don't start a thread that I expect everybody to agree on, and honestly I'm a little shocked that we have been through this many pages and nobody has ripped the franchise down to the studs. Business wise fine, great, you name it, but as a top team for so long with so many disaster postseasons I don't get why anybody, anybody would call them morally a success.

Cut and dry they are losers in the highest degree that you can achieve in the NHL.

Edit: forgot Edmonton, but at least they have a few championships. But I'd put the Oilers first.

Reactions: Voight

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They've made a ton of money in what used to be a non-traditional market, made it a hockey market, and won a ton of games along the way.

Why would anyone say they're not successful?

Reactions: Iron Mosher

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Successful as a business for sure - competitive year in and year out, good, loyal fan base, players want to play there. But until you have attained the ultimate goal you will always be at least one step behind those who have.

Reactions: Voight

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't start a thread that I expect everybody to agree on, and honestly I'm a little shocked that we have been through this many pages and nobody has ripped the franchise down to the studs. Business wise fine, great, you name it, but as a top team for so long with so many disaster postseasons I don't get why anybody, anybody would call them morally a success.

Cut and dry they are losers in the highest degree that you can achieve in the NHL.

Edit: forgot Edmonton, but at least they have a few championships. But I'd put the Oilers first.

So many disaster postseasons that you probably are losing context on. They had one truly disastrous postseason. Just because a team loses in the playoffs doesn't make it automatically disastrous.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

"I don't like that no one has argued so here comes a super inflamatory post to try to rile some people up and get an argument going."

They haven't won a cup. It is what it is. If you follow the team, it's understandable in a lot of ways why they haven't won a cup as frustrating as it is given how close they've come at times. TBH they were unfairly labeled chokers due to the 1 vs 8 vs Anaheim which as a Sharks fan you know is a bit unfair given the numerous injuries they faced down the stretch and the tear the Ducks were on the 2nd half. It was not a true 1 v 8 situation.

Losing to that Chicago team in the Conference finals was fair, that Blackhawks team was f***ing stacked
Losing to Vancouver was such a "Sharks" playoff loss. It was a 4-1 series final but anyone who watched that series know just how close it of a series it was, despite the final outcome, and we got f***ed hard in game 5 with bad calls and some really bad bounces. It is what it is
Losing to a dominant Pens team in the finals sucks too but again, we caught some really shit injuries that was capped off with our best player in Hertl going down and the team fell apart from there.

Winning the cup is arguably the hardest championship of the major 4 sports. You'd think we'd have lucked our way to a win one of these seasons, but the "failure" of the franchise has more to do with the fact they've been in the mix for SO many years. There are a ton of franchises that could be considered failures by that measure given years of post season appearances without a cup (St Louis until this year is a great example). The Sharks stand out simply because they've been in the mix so long, but there are several years where they were a good not great team who just made the playoffs.

The fact they've been relevant this long, with this many legit shots at a cup to me is a success as a franchise. The team constantly finds way to get another shot and at some point the breaks are going to go their way and they will win it all.

The 3-0 collapse vs LA is really the only issue I have with the team over the last 10 years and even that required some shady goals and a major injury to Vlasic. The first round exit to the Blues was not surprising to many who watched the team that season, they weren't that good. The first round exit to the Oilers sucked but again, major injuries played a huge role in that loss and the team would have never made it far anyways. The 2013 series vs the Kings was literally a 1 goal series and came down to a number of bounces.

Reactions: Phu

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
"I don't like that no one has argued so here comes a super inflamatory post to try to rile some people up and get an argument going."

They haven't won a cup. It is what it is. If you follow the team, it's understandable in a lot of ways why they haven't won a cup as frustrating as it is given how close they've come at times. TBH they were unfairly labeled chokers due to the 1 vs 8 vs Anaheim which as a Sharks fan you know is a bit unfair given the numerous injuries they faced down the stretch and the tear the Ducks were on the 2nd half. It was not a true 1 v 8 situation.

Losing to that Chicago team in the Conference finals was fair, that Blackhawks team was ****ing stacked
Losing to Vancouver was such a "Sharks" playoff loss. It was a 4-1 series final but anyone who watched that series know just how close it of a series it was, despite the final outcome, and we got ****ed hard in game 5 with bad calls and some really bad bounces. It is what it is
Losing to a dominant Pens team in the finals sucks too but again, we caught some really **** injuries that was capped off with our best player in Hertl going down and the team fell apart from there.

Winning the cup is arguably the hardest championship of the major 4 sports. You'd think we'd have lucked our way to a win one of these seasons, but the "failure" of the franchise has more to do with the fact they've been in the mix for SO many years. There are a ton of franchises that could be considered failures by that measure given years of post season appearances without a cup (St Louis until this year is a great example). The Sharks stand out simply because they've been in the mix so long, but there are several years where they were a good not great team who just made the playoffs.

The fact they've been relevant this long, with this many legit shots at a cup to me is a success as a franchise. The team constantly finds way to get another shot and at some point the breaks are going to go their way and they will win it all.

The 3-0 collapse vs LA is really the only issue I have with the team over the last 10 years and even that required some shady goals and a major injury to Vlasic. The first round exit to the Blues was not surprising to many who watched the team that season, they weren't that good. The first round exit to the Oilers sucked but again, major injuries played a huge role in that loss and the team would have never made it far anyways. The 2013 series vs the Kings was literally a 1 goal series and came down to a number of bounces.
Are you insane? The purpose of a medium like this is to exchange ideas. Hiow much exchanging can you do when you agree on everything? Inflammatory? Is that what we call things we disagree with now. Reconsider your entire angle.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are you insane? The purpose of a medium like this is to exchange ideas. Hiow much exchanging can you do when you agree on everything? Inflammatory? Is that what we call things we disagree with now. Reconsider your entire angle.

What exchange is there here? Your part in this 'exchange' is merely calling them losers.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I don't think it's downplaying the cup thing. SJ has been a perennial contender for the past 15 years. In this span they've always had elite players.
Compare this to Carolina, Tampa, and Anaheim who have been awful for the majority of their existence. I don't think 1 playoffs run overshadows many good years.

Fun fact: The Ducks have made the playoffs more times in their existence than they have missed.

SJ has been a successful team, even after never reaching the ultimate goal. They have had their share of playoff disappointments but almost always have a team capable of winning the Cup. Give credit to Doug Wilson. He keeps them competitive while never having a high first round pick. His job is to assemble a team that is capable of winning the Cup, and he has done that.

Reactions: Phu

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Your right it is about winning the cup, but still success should be consistent and dominant. The sharks have been both for the better part of the decade.

But are the Canes are successful because of something they won 13 years ago? They have only made the playoffs, what....2-3 times since their cup? That’s not success. Sure they won and that’s something they will have over the sharks. And yes their lack of cups is obviously a huge black mark on their franchise in terms of how great they have been. They have still been more competitive than the Canes. For most teams who win the cup, it’s about timing and luck. You need both in the playoffs, which is what makes the cup so hard to achieve and why any team in the playoffs has a chance.

People do remember who won, but people will remember more who made the playoffs the last few years.....which the Canes haven’t. I’m sure a lot of people forget they won a cup considering how poor they have been. That’s not success IMO.

Would rather have a cup or would you rather make the playoffs ever year?

I'd rather have the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad