Would you consider the San Jose Sharks a successful franchise?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
What makes you disagree?

By watching that series

The 17 Sharks (a mediocre team even while healthy) held serve against them and took them to 6 games while both of their top 2 centers were either out with injury or seriously debilitated by injury

The 17 Oilers had like 6 good players total, that was not a good team, they were a mirage, losing to them (especially the embarrassing way Game 5 ended) was a failure

HockeyIsCool

Sep 15, 2018
Most fans are short sighted. If you're not a fan of the Wings, Penguins, Blackhawks, Bruins, Kings, Capitals, or Blues your team hasn't been successful in the last 15 years? Give me a break. There is a huge difference in being a well run, competitive franchise for 2 decades and being the Toronto Maple Leafs over the last 50 years. The amount of Stanley Cups won does not change that.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Looking a the team success, attendance, team value estimate ranking, if the Sharks are not successful that league is in big trouble, how many team have been successful in the 2000s if the Shark were not ?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They made $12m of profit last season. So yes, it is a successful franchise.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I will say this, it is very hard to remain that competitive for as long as they have and keep the passion alive. They have a very dedicated, passionate, and long-stretching fan base and Doug Wilson has done an amazing job at keeping them in the discussion year-in and year-out. Just because they haven't won a cup doesn't mean they aren't successful. They've come pretty close and are routinely always there in the thick of things.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Absolutely. Have been in the thick of things for as long as I can remember. I think any fan out there would love to have their team be like theirs. Obviously they would rather have a team that won a cup recently but this is honestly the 2nd best thing. Maybe depending on who you ask, better than a team that won a cup a while ago and then went through years of crap after. I would still rather be the team that won a cup but sometimes being in the heat of things every year is just way more exciting for some.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Sharks are a model franchise. Every season they've played for two decades has had their fans excited about the possibility that they could win.

I think a harder question is if you think the Carolina Hurricanes are one. Yes, they suck most years, but the last 4 times they've made the playoffs they've made the Conference Finals and are 11-3 series wise in those 4 runs.

If I'm a fan, I am not sure which scenario I would prefer tbh. Probably Hurricanes if I was casual, but Sharks if I was a die hard watch 60+ games every year level fan

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They're an expansion team that's won more hockey games than any team other than the Red Wings since they came into the league 28 years ago.

Is this a serious question?
They've been successful but that's not right. Top 3 in wins since 91-92 are:

1. Detroit 1,194
2. Pittsburgh 1,117
3. NJ 1,100

SJ is 12th. They've been very consistent since 2000 but they were pretty bad in the 90s.

Reactions: egelband and Voight

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
90% of the league probably wishes they were as successful as the Sharks. They're more successful than any of the Canadian teams in the last 26 years.

Reactions: DaveG and egelband

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Cup or not it’s obviously been a very successful and competitive franchise. Quite impressive when you take into account the fact that it’s an expansion team and San Jose is more deep rooted in baseball and football than anything else, yet they still built a very large and loyal fan base.

Having a cup would simply be the cherry on top. It’s not needed to be “successful” but it would certainly help while silencing a lot of critics.

Reactions: egelband

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

1. Detroit 1,194
2. Pittsburgh 1,117
3. NJ 1,100

SJ is 12th. They've been very consistent since 2000 but they were pretty bad in the 90s.
13th actually. One behind Dallas, one ahead of Toronto (which makes me laugh, considering the same question will have everyone calling the Leafs a laughingstock, but I digress).

If you use 20 years, you get them second to the Wings. Which, using the first few years of an expansion franchise is a little unfair.

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019

1. Detroit 1,194
2. Pittsburgh 1,117
3. NJ 1,100

they where exceptionally bad though! At lest the first few seasons, I wonder what any team would have looked like with the rules they got when coming into the league, rules that where changed just for them, and then changed somewhat back for the following years

Reactions: Phu

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
There is no excuse for losing to the Oilers under any circumstances, I consider it more shameful than the reverse sweep

Really? under any circumstances? how about if it was in the 1980's ?

lol, anywhay they have done a ton for hockey in the bay area, successful in developing the sport at all levels. San Jose has a pritty big amateur league last time I checked

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad