Would you consider the following franchises players?

Which of the following are franchise players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
for these players, they are all star players, no question. But are they franchise players? We're not talking about a franchise player for a specific team, but a legit franchise player ala mack/drai/matthews/kane/prime stamkos etc. with no strings attached. Those guys are franchise players in the most true sense, but what about the names above?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think there can be tiers of a franchise player. A guy like Barzal/EP/Aho are franchise players but probably only in the sense of being good enough #1Cs to be a playoff team (which is goal #1 for almost any Owner) which does make them a franchise player.

A guy like Eichel is probably the only one with the talent level to be considered a championship level franchise player however.

I didn't consider any wingers for this exercise because they NEED a centre in order to carry a team to wins. Even if they can put up points on their own. Marner would be the closest one to it because I think he can play centre if needed.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I think Eichel is the only true franchise player in that group but the rest are great complementary players.

Reactions: slapKing

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Marner is the Leafs Franchise player.
The Team is built around him.
He’s the main playmaker.
He leads the Team in Points.
He leads the team in power play points and also leads the team in short handed points.
He’s also the leafs best penalty killer.
He does it all like a franchise player does.

Reactions: DarylO

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I don't get why Rantanen never does well in these polls. The kid is a stud.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't consider any wingers for this exercise because they NEED a centre in order to carry a team to wins. Even if they can put up points on their own. Marner would be the closest one to it because I think he can play centre if needed.

We're talking about Vegas a competitor when Stone's centre is Chandler Stephenson. I think at least he should also be considered as a guy who can be franchise.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Regardless of the definition people use, one thing is for sure - it's definitely not only Eichel.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
When I think franchise I think one step below generational. Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Messier, Trottier as examples. None of these guys are at that level.

Generational: Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby.

Franchise: Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, and Malkin.

Great: Nieuwendyk, Gainey, and I'll say....Kopitar.

Good: RoR, Brind'Amour, Bergeron, and maybe Point/Stamkos.

Just thinking of cup winning Centres in the past 30 plus years.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When I think franchise I think one step below generational. Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Messier, Trottier as examples. None of these guys are at that level.

Yeah, that's the tricky thing with the term "franchise player". I'd consider one a player who is just a step below those the generational types. Sort of like a player who will be a top 5 player most seasons, but not necessarily the top player except 1 or 2 times where they're capable of winning an award or two in a "peak" season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->