Would you consider McDavid righ now better than prime Crosby?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Wouldn't this argument make a lot more sense if Draisaitl was also going well above his pace last season instead of decreasing, or if McDavid wasn't dominating the next highest scorers in the division which consist of Matthews and Marner by 48% or more? Why would everyone else start closing the gap significantly when they'll also be playing a normal schedule again and McDavid will be 24/25 years old? I'm not saying it can't happen I just logically don't see why it would.

Matthews has never been a very high point producer. He is a goal scorer and is absolutely dominating in goal scoring. Hard to see Panarin and MacK getting dominated by 48% or more in scoring next season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You don't remember what the schedule was like after the lockout?

8 games against division opponents. 4 games against other conference opponents. 10 games against opposite conference.

In Crosby's 120 point season he got to play the league worst Flyers who allowed 300 goals 8 times. As well he got to play frequently against the Southleast, and the rest of the east was just worse on the whole compared to the West.

Of the top 8 teams with fewest goals allowed that season, 7 were from the West. Crosby only had to play 10 games against Western teams.

Not exactly a balanced schedule either.

Exactly, this is why it was calculated by ContrarianGoaltender in the history section that Crosby's 2006-07 faced worse competition on average than McDavid this season, and so did Gretzky in several of his best seasons. Infact more often than not the Art Ross winner since 1969 faced worse than average competition, go figure lol

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews has never been a very high point producer. He is a goal scorer and is absolutely dominating in goal scoring. Hard to see Panarin and MacK getting dominated by 48% or more in scoring next season.

He's dominating his own linemate who won the Art Ross last season by 28%. Crosby never dominated the next closest scorer by that extent, or any of the 3rd to 50th scorers.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is where we are going with the thread now? Black and white arguments? An assist that is a primary assist where the goal scorer dekes through 2 more defenders and beats the goalie is obviously not. An assist where the player pulled 2 or more players towards him and then dishes a perfect pass that is a wide open back door tap in goal is obviously more valuable.

Just another example where this thread lacks context, like taking a pandemic season where teams played 6 total other teams for 56 games with context instead of face value numbers.

Wtf are you talking about? McDavid does more work on most of his primary assists than other players do on their goals. Maybe watch the guy play. Goals > assists sure, goals > primary assists, debatable. Goals > McDavid's primary assists? Laughable.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The fact still remains that Crosby never dominated players of that caliber, after that amount of games, by this amount playing in the same conditions.

After Leon, Marner, and Matthews, who are these high caliber players? Who are these high caliber defensive players? Where are the high caliber defensive minded teams? Obviously Crosby didn't play a pandemic season for 56 games against only 6 teams. The facts are when we take away 'what if' seasons that are lockout or pandemic effected and compare McDavids best regular season vs Crosby's it is extremely close.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Wtf are you talking about? McDavid does more work on most of his primary assists than other players do on their goals. Maybe watch the guy play. Goals > assists sure, goals > primary assists, debatable. Goals > McDavid's primary assists? Laughable.

This is just a weird way of looking at things. I have nothing to add to your arbitrary ranking of goals vs assists, and I have honestly never met a hockey fan who has ever brought up an argument as silly as this one.

Reactions: Habano

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
That’s not true at all.

104points in 55games is absolutely filthy, and something your boy Crosby has never came close to doing.

It is true. Many are projecting McDavid's season over a full 82 games and comparing it to other players historically in many of the conversations throughout this thread. Maybe go back and read through it, or would you like me to hold your hand and point out all the posts of people projecting McDavid's pace over 82 and comparing it to the greats?

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Not saying McDavid isn't awesome or that he isn't the best player in the world.

I'd just like to see his production against the whole NHL and not just that cupcake division.

It's a weird year that makes it really hard to compare apples to apples.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is just a weird way of looking at things. I have nothing to add to your arbitrary ranking of goals vs assists, and I have honestly never met a hockey fan who has ever brought up an argument as silly as this one.

Huh? I never brought up the argument, someone else brought it up saying Ovechkin's goals > McDavid's assists.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He's dominating his own linemate who won the Art Ross last season by 28%. Crosby never dominated the next closest scorer by that extent, or any of the 3rd to 50th scorers.
Prime Crosby once lead his team in scoring, while only playing half a season. But I guess it's not that hard to dominate your linemates when they're middle six players.

It would seem that context is lost on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It is true. Many are projecting McDavid's season over a full 82 games and comparing it to other players historically in many of the conversations throughout this thread. Maybe go back and read through it, or would you like me to hold your hand and point out all the posts of people projecting McDavid's pace over 82 and comparing it to the greats?

he put up 104 pts in 54 games. That’s just facts. What did crosby put up?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Prime Crosby once lead his team in scoring, while only playing half a season. But I guess it's not that hard to dominate your linemates when they're middle six players.

It would seem that context is lost on this thread.

Crosby was super dominant during that period, just not as much as McDavid this season. If he somehow trends back towards his injury plagued pace last season then sure Crosby has a case, I just wouldn't count on it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Probably been posted but I'm not going back all these pages. lol.

Saw a few interesting stats where Crosby had double the amount of power play opportunities compared to McDavid in their first 6 seasons. Because remember Crosby came into the league when they were calling absolutely everything. Crosby had 228 powerplay points compared to McDavid at 174. So Crosby holds a 31% lead in powerplay points in his first 6 seasons compared to McDavid yet they have the same amount of points overall. Goes to show you how efficient McDavid is I guess on the PP. The last thing I read was someone comparing the 2008/2009 season to this shortened season and the goals per game per team, goalies save percentage and GAA were all virtually the same. Food for thought.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
McDavid absolutely DESTROYS Crosby in terms of talent and how much he contributes to his team

This is the first year that he has had #1 dman like players and dman point producers.

It is not even close at this point

Goof god imaine if McDavid had Crosby's PP's? where they actually called things?

He would have MUCH HIGHER numbers

Reactions: Future GOAT

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Probably been posted but I'm not going back all these pages. lol.

Saw a few interesting stats where Crosby had double the amount of power play opportunities compared to McDavid in their first 6 seasons. Because remember Crosby came into the league when they were calling absolutely everything. Crosby had 228 powerplay points compared to McDavid at 174. So Crosby holds a 31% lead in powerplay points in his first 6 seasons compared to McDavid yet they have the same amount of points overall. Goes to show you how efficient McDavid is I guess on the PP. The last thing I read was someone comparing the 2008/2009 season to this shortened season and the goals per game per team, goalies save percentage and GAA were all virtually the same. Food for thought.

But, but...something something....Crosby...something, grace period (TM), something.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
But, but...something something....Crosby...something, grace period (TM), something.

Found another stat where someone said Crosby had a staggering 850+ more PP minutes in his first 6 seasons compared to McDavid.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
McDavid is amazing but trying to compare this year to any other year is a losing cause because it simply isn't like any other year. Just appreciate that you saw greatness and be content with that. Next year should be normal so the people that absolutely must rank everything and everyone can get back to doing that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
McDavid absolutely DESTROYS Crosby in terms of talent and how much he contributes to his team

This is the first year that he has had #1 dman like players and dman point producers.

Goof god imaine if McDavid had Crosby's PP's? where they actually called things?

I'm not a big fan of god either but tone the language down. :laugh:

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
He blasts Crosby ! All these Homer's keep bringing Crosby was a more complete player give your f***ing heads a shake. Crosby became a better defensively player when his offense started to subside. McDavid right now is Mario and Wayne category. His ability to generate offense is unmatched In the history of the league. Only 66 and 99.
"Unmatched in the history of the league."
"Only 66 and 99."

"Unmatched."

Cute username, btw.

Reactions: sanscosm

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
After Leon, Marner, and Matthews, who are these high caliber players? Who are these high caliber defensive players? Where are the high caliber defensive minded teams? Obviously Crosby didn't play a pandemic season for 56 games against only 6 teams. The facts are when we take away 'what if' seasons that are lockout or pandemic effected and compare McDavids best regular season vs Crosby's it is extremely close.

Dude, in his entire career, regardless of GP, Crosby only scored more than McDavid did this season TWICE. That’s embarrassing.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Crosby has 190 points in 169 playoff games while mcdavid has 18 in 17 gp. Talk about domination

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad