Would you be okay with an extended losing streak if Bylsma gets canned?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
That's not nearly enough off the cap. Minnesota traded Clutterbuck because they couldn't afford to re-sign him due to the cap. They also bought out Tom Gilbert's $4 million dollar salary. When of became clear they couldn't buy out Heatley, they were in serious cap trouble. They had to do a lot of work to free up the room they had for Cooke and Ballard. Niskanen and $700,000 in cap relief would not have worked for them.

You're right. Clearing 700K in cap space would have been compleatly impossible. Especially considering they have 1.4M in cap space at the moment.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
You're right. Clearing 700K in cap space would have been compleatly impossible. Especially considering they have 1.4M in cap space at the moment.
They shed 9.5 million (Setoguchi, Gilbert, Clutterbuck's new deal). They added 4.87 (Cooke, Ballard, Niederreiter). With 1.4 million left over, that means they had about 6.3 million in cap room following those trades. Niskanen would have left them with 4 million entering free agency and just .6 in cap space right now. If you're Minnesota's GM and desperately scrambling to open up some cap space before free agency, Niskanen for Setoguchi makes NO sense whatsoever. That extra 2.3 million gives you so much more flexibility short and long term.

Also, if you're Ray Shero, why trade a serviceable defenseman for a streaky, offensively-oriented forward who tends to find himself a healthy scratch on offensively challenged teams? Especially when that forward edges you even closer to a the salary cap you were over until your backup goalie had a blood clot (and even then you need a little manipulation to maximize your savings). And if Setoguchi is your Dupuis replacement, :laugh:.

Niskanen for Setoguchi is a stupid trade idea that doesn't make any sense for either team. Again, how many times does this dead horse need to be dismantled before you stop beating it?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The Penguins would basically have to miss the playoffs for Bylsma to get fired. And it wouldn't take long before everyone on here would hate his replacement just as much.

The bolded part, a thousand times over. I find it amusing to note that some of the people who want Bylsma fired and replaced with Martin are the same people who wanted Therrien fired because he wasn't unleashing the offense enough... even back when the team was still winning under Therrien.

Martin as head coach would be Therrien 2.0, except for the fact that Therrien favors playing rookies he can mold, while Martin favors playing vets just as much as Bylsma.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
coaches are hired to be fired. they have their expiration date.

you cant fire all the players, even if its deserved. its unfortunate and maybe not fair but that is sports.

its totally reasonable to have wanted therrien fired before/happy with hiring byslma and to now want bylsma fired.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
This is dumb. If last seasons debacle in Boston got DB an extension, a losing streak won't get him canned. And I NEVER want my team to lose (unless it was the last game of the season and we were horrible and a loss meant the number one draft pick... Then maybe).

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

you cant fire all the players, even if its deserved. its unfortunate and maybe not fair but that is sports.

its totally reasonable to have wanted therrien fired before/happy with hiring byslma and to now want bylsma fired.

Agree whole heartedly.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
They shed 9.5 million (Setoguchi, Gilbert, Clutterbuck's new deal). They added 4.87 (Cooke, Ballard, Niederreiter). With 1.4 million left over, that means they had about 6.3 million in cap room following those trades. Niskanen would have left them with 4 million entering free agency and just .6 in cap space right now. If you're Minnesota's GM and desperately scrambling to open up some cap space before free agency, Niskanen for Setoguchi makes NO sense whatsoever. That extra 2.3 million gives you so much more flexibility short and long term.

Also, if you're Ray Shero, why trade a serviceable defenseman for a streaky, offensively-oriented forward who tends to find himself a healthy scratch on offensively challenged teams? Especially when that forward edges you even closer to a the salary cap you were over until your backup goalie had a blood clot (and even then you need a little manipulation to maximize your savings). And if Setoguchi is your Dupuis replacement, :laugh:.

Niskanen for Setoguchi is a stupid trade idea that doesn't make any sense for either team. Again, how many times does this dead horse need to be dismantled before you stop beating it?

Holding onto a 2.3M 6th Dman when you have a guy who can take his place in the A is pretty stupid. Especially when you're not gonna hold onto that 2.3M 6th Dman after this year and are gonna need a young guy to take Orpik's spot in the top 4 next year.

Moving Nisky is addition by subtraction because you just replace him with Des. And if you don't think we could use Seto this year I don't know what to tell you. We get 2 injuries and have to put Kobe or D'Ags on Geno's line, but totally couldn't use a 26 year old 4 time 20 goal scorer .

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

It's not about people wanting them both to be fired, but about how certain people want Martin, specifically, to replace Bylsma, when they were the same people who absolutely hated Therrien. That is what I find amusing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad