Would you be okay with an extended losing streak if Bylsma gets canned?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
yes definitely. it would be best for this teams championship aspirations. short term pain for long term gain. hes clearly holding this team back and unwilling to put crosby/malkin in a position to succeed.

similar to how i was rooting for the team to finish last/lose games prior to the 2004 lottery.

regular season wins are pretty boring anyway.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He wont. Team USA headcoach, just signed a 2 year deal. After what we have seen over the years, we pretty much got Bylsma untill death do us part. He will live out that contract, then if Shero is still around will be given 3 more years because the regular season is what only matters to Shero.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yes, if i believed such a number of games lost in a row existed

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
no. I think shero has to offer different pieces for dan to use. Force dan to use different players.

Right now we just have a poor mix of players and ... dan uses them like junk. Shero needs to supply a better all round team .. remove the dead weight as dan can't help himself but give the dead weight a ton of minutes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Penguins would basically have to miss the playoffs for Bylsma to get fired. And it wouldn't take long before everyone on here would hate his replacement just as much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The only way Bylsma gets fired is if the team is swept in the first round and are decidedly out coached in every game while getting swept.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yes, short term pain for long term gain. The replacement may be worse than Bylsma, but at least there's the potential for change and the removal of whatever the attachment to Bylsma is.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Both Byslma and Shero have gigs with team USA for the Olympics. Highly doubtful Bylsma is given the boot until after Sochi, if at all.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Shero fought for him this offseason & had a part in hiring him for USA. It would take a monumental collapse for it to even be considered.

Lets not act like it's all Bylsma though a lot of it is. Shero has given him the worst roster we've had in several years. We've lost Cooke, Staal, Kennedy over the last couple years & replaced them with Sutter, Glass, Adams, Kobasew. This roster is a mess.

Fire Shero*

Disco is not a good coach for this team, but shero continues to get a free pass from fans for no reason. He's at fault for creating this pathetic roster and no viable forward prospects in the near future. I'm glad he gets praise for signing guys like Kobasew to great deals, but he is a castoff no other nhl team even wanted. But we signed him for cheap!!!! You get what you pay for.

Let's bring in someone with a new vision. A GM who might try to surround 87 and 71 with good players. Someone who can draft a forward who will actually be a regular nhl player. Someone not so damn conservative.

The pens #1 problem is Shero

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I wouldn't say I "want" an extended losing streak but I suggested back in June, that we might be better off long-term if there was a nasty streak this fall and Bylsma was replaced with someone more seasoned / tuned to playoff matchups etc.

Now that Jacques is here, it's a no-brainer what would come next. Rossi and those toolbags can PR it up all they want talking about how "Disco wanted Jacques here" etc but there's a flipside to that move, and that is, Martin is almost guranteed to succeed Bylsma in the event of a firing, whereas that was not true of any of Disco's assistants or anyone in WBS IMO.

I do know for a fact though that Jacob is right about one thing: it wouldn't take even 30 days for people to start *****ing about Martin. As I said yesterday in other threads, we're spoiled. We think we're better than we are, we think we're entitled to gripe when we're 7-3, etc etc. Sometimes it's warranted (Bylsma DOES do some amazingly stupid **** sometimes, it seems to me... as do some of our better players) but mostly we get bent out of shape too soon as a group, and exaggerate stuff too much or imply things are easier for a coach than they are.

I still want Disco to get better and he's shown signs here and there but lately the Islanders game and the Engo at F + Bortuzzo scratch thing has me thinking this guy is just delusional when it comes to the "grind em down" ****. I believe Bylsma has an over-simplified view of the game (if I had to guess based on what he does with this personnel).

Last edited:

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Shero fought for him this offseason & had a part in hiring him for USA. It would take a monumental collapse for it to even be considered.

Lets not act like it's all Bylsma though a lot of it is. Shero has given him the worst roster we've had in several years. We've lost Cooke, Staal, Kennedy over the last couple years & replaced them with Sutter, Glass, Adams, Kobasew. This roster is a mess.

I don't know, coming out of the lockout we had...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Letang
Despres-Engelland
Bortuzzo

This year we came into the season with...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew/D'Agostini
Glass-Jeffrey/Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen/Letang
Maatta-Bortuzzo
Engelland

Jokinen replaces Tangradi, Bennett replaces Cooke, Kobasew and D'Agostini replace Kennedy, Scuderi and Maatta are solid additions on defense. In my opinion...

Jokinen > Tangradi
Bennett > Cooke
D'Agostini/Kobasew < (but not much) or = Kennedy

People want to blame Bylsma and Shero, why don't we wait until we have close to a full lineup, because we haven't seen this team as a whole yet, key injuries early on, let's not play the blame game.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The pens #1 problem is Shero

No it's fans who know so little about managing a team that they look at a guy like Shero and claim he's terrible.

But go ahead and enlighten us. With the cap being what it is, top salaries being what they are and your knowledge of available players Shero could've had instead of Kobasew, etc... show us the way. Maybe shero will read this and be inspired by your brilliance. :rolleyes:

If you want to criticize him that's one thing but then for your criticism to mean anything, you have to back it up with realistic alternatives and examples of what other GMs in similar situations did... things which Shero passed on based on some evidence you have beyond "HFB posters said it was a better way!"

Fire Shero*

No it's fans who know so little about managing a team that they look at a guy like Shero and claim he's terrible.

But go ahead and enlighten us. With the cap being what it is, top salaries being what they are and your knowledge of available players Shero could've had instead of Kobasew, etc... show us the way. Maybe shero will read this and be inspired by your brilliance. :rolleyes:

If you want to criticize him that's one thing but then for your criticism to mean anything, you have to back it up with realistic alternatives and examples of what other GMs in similar situations did... things which Shero passed on based on some evidence you have beyond "HFB posters said it was a better way!"

I would have drafted a forward with the #8 pick after we dealt Staal. I would not have totally given up on drafting forwards because look at our forward prospect pool now, it has to be one of the worst in the league. Since we don't have young players cracking the roster, we continually have to sign scrubs like Kobasew. I would have bought out Glass.

I'm not suggesting that I know more than Shero, but I just want a new GM to come here and starry cutting the fat.

The pens are stuck with a stale roster. Dupuis and Kunitz are glued to the hips of Sid for 4 more years. That's unacceptable, sorry.

Bring in a GM who doesn't strictly hoard / draft bottom pairing dmen.

May 10, 2010
doesn't really affect me because i don't watch any games since bylsma was extended because i already know the end of the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad