Would you be in favor of a CFL style crossover for the Playoffs?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Just something that struck me looking at the current standings tonite. The two WC teams in the East (Philly and Washington) both have more points than all three of the top Pacific teams, and one of the 3 Central teams.

Were the playoffs to start today, they would both be road teams, while teams with worse records in the west would have home ice. Travel might be a bit of an issue, but I don't think would be that big of a deal. Vancouver and Nashville had a Playoff Series a few years ago that was fine.

What're your thoughts HF?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Pretty much half of the games you play are in division so it doesn't mean much. Schedules are too different.

Two years in a row, Pacific teams have been filled with Jekyll and Hyde teams and no one can manage to dominate the division. By the end of the year they will be way ahead of the east wild card teams. People said the same thing last year.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
It'd be cool to do it in the conference finals as it would let you get a true sense of who are the best two teams

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Crazy idea.

How about the top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs, and they play each other 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5 with reseeds after each round.

Thoughts?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yes.

The playoffs should be a 16 seed tournament

Even though I'm an Oilers fan and the Pacific/WC is our only chance this year of playoffs, I would still be a huge fan of this to. Besides travel time would be an issue and maybe drop the season to 76 games or something to all teams to have the proper rest in the playoffs without making it any later then it already is (which is too late)

Edit: Or try a 2-3-2 home-away-home thing like the MLB

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nope. It's been soooo much harder to get into the playoffs for like 15 years in the western conference. Now that's finally weakening and you think it's time we just let the Eastern conference come in? I say no. It's cyclical. Sometimes it's easier to get in the west sometimes it's easier to get in the East.

CFL does it because there's only 9 teams.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Nope. It's been soooo much harder to get into the playoffs for like 15 years in the western conference. Now that's finally weakening and you think it's time we just let the Eastern conference come in? I say no. It's cyclical. Sometimes it's easier to get in the west sometimes it's easier to get in the East.

CFL does it because there's only 9 teams.

The West also has less teams, the East has better and more teams. 50% of Eastern Conference teams make the playoffs, 57% of Western Conference teams make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad