Would ya look at that?: Mo is a bonafide #1 dman

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Good lord.
They better start scoring more then. They are wingers and Rielly is a #1 D who can get 50-60 points per season and play against the oppositions' best players.

Points are not everything. Points are actual very little of a players value.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Over a large sample size they are very important to a players value, or the ability to not allow points. Advanced stats are better at capturing things with smaller sets of data and making predictions based on that, but production is paramount. I think in the case of Lindholm you are overvaluing his underlying metrics compared to guys who have been producing at an elite level for years.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There are DMen viewed as much better than Rielly that would crumble playing the 2nd toughest minutes in the entire NHl last season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Very little? I agree there's more than points, but they're like, at least 50%.

Give me a team without a 60 point scorer and that's pretty certain to be a bad team. Show me a team with 3-5 guys over 60 and that's probably a pretty good team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is what I don’t get, I understand why non Leafs fans won’t give credits to Reilly but how can Leafs fans do the same? Reillyis a legit #1 Dman in the league, he might not be top 5 but you can make a case that he is top 10.
Lindholm is a great defensive Dman but he is not better than Reilly, simple bc this is an offense league, you can get by with solid defense if you have great offense. The gap between their offense is far greater than the gap between their defense. By saying that Lindholm is better and points don’t matter, it is the same as saying Lindholm is better than Karlsson too.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have always defined the BEST defenceman as the guy who you can put on the ice in last few minutes of a game where you are tied or winning by 1 and you guarantee you are not getting scored on. It is that guy who can control the game and/or puck by himself and never makes a mistake. Last night I was watching Habs v Blues and my buddy was telling me how Parenko was that guy. So i listened to him go on and on about this guy. Then with under a minute left he pulls a Gards stupid as h*ll giveaway and Habs score with 10 seconds left. Parenko is NOT a #1. You have to be mentally strong and never ever give the puck away in your own end under any circumstance. I can't vote for Rielly as that guy yet because visual images game 1 and 2 of last years playoffs just keep coming up with all of his give aways. And i realize he is playing with a guy who is done as an NHLer but even under those circumstances a #1 is a #1. There are ZERO excuses.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
He has too many limitations to be considered a #1. On a contending team he is a #2 or 3. His poor hockey IQ is something he will never overcome. He has been in the league multiple years and still has rookie brain farts, and he doesn’t understand situational hockey.

He is a great skater and moves the puck well. It’s too bad he is a low IQ player and isn’t difficult to play against at all, or else he would be a #1.

Just because he is the #1 on one of the worst defensive units the NHL has seen this decade, doesn’t make him a number one. That’s like saying David Desharnais was a #1 center in MTL...

This is decidedly one of the grossest exaggerations I've seen in a decade. We're not a good a defensive team, I'll grant you that. But we won't end up even close to the worst defensive team in the NHL this season, let alone being able to compete with 10 years worth of defensive ineptitude.

EDIT: And to reply to the OP, Mo looks like a true #1 this season thus far. I wouldn't say he's in the upper echelon of #1 Ds (yet, at least), but he is a bona fide #1.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Rat King

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He has too many limitations to be considered a #1. On a contending team he is a #2 or 3. His poor hockey IQ is something he will never overcome. He has been in the league multiple years and still has rookie brain farts, and he doesn’t understand situational hockey.

He is a great skater and moves the puck well. It’s too bad he is a low IQ player and isn’t difficult to play against at all, or else he would be a #1.

Just because he is the #1 on one of the worst defensive units the NHL has seen this decade, doesn’t make him a number one. That’s like saying David Desharnais was a #1 center in MTL...

False claim from a false account pretending to be someone they’re not. Grow some balls clown.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He's the best defenseman the Leafs have had since probably Salming.I never watched Salming but our teams weren't great for a while so it was Kaberle before Rielly.

People forget how good McCabe was in his prime. Back when he was scoring 20 goals and 70 points and making the Canadian Olympic team.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's honestly bordering top 10 right now if he keeps this up all year. Picture this, playoff Rielly was Rielly that wasn't stretch passing (a Babcock special). Same with non-injured him. His defensive game is sizeable enough that his offensive game puts him in the elite category. Tonight he had a great game against the Pens.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is what I don’t get, I understand why non Leafs fans won’t give credits to Reilly but how can Leafs fans do the same? Reillyis a legit #1 Dman in the league, he might not be top 5 but you can make a case that he is top 10.
Lindholm is a great defensive Dman but he is not better than Reilly, simple bc this is an offense league, you can get by with solid defense if you have great offense. The gap between their offense is far greater than the gap between their defense. By saying that Lindholm is better and points don’t matter, it is the same as saying Lindholm is better than Karlsson too.
Many of the folks here that love to opine on the defense know absolutely nothing about hockey defense.
Anyone who says that Rielly isn't a #1 Dman are just embarrassing themselves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad