Would ya look at that?: Mo is a bonafide #1 dman

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
He has too many limitations to be considered a #1. On a contending team he is a #2 or 3. His poor hockey IQ is something he will never overcome. He has been in the league multiple years and still has rookie brain farts, and he doesn’t understand situational hockey.

He is a great skater and moves the puck well. It’s too bad he is a low IQ player and isn’t difficult to play against at all, or else he would be a #1.

Just because he is the #1 on one of the worst defensive units the NHL has seen this decade, doesn’t make him a number one. That’s like saying David Desharnais was a #1 center in MTL...

Holy hyperbole. Leafs have flaws, sure, but this is garbage.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Doughy was on the ice for how many goals last game against. He got beat out of the wall for the first goal.
Think he hadn't been on the ice for a goal against all year then played the leafs and was on for 4 goals against lol.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Pound for pound there arent too many stronger players then Rielly he's 6'1 218. To put that into perepesctive Matthews is 2 inches taller and has 2 pounds on him... Rielly is getting better and better. He hasn't even peaked yet.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He has too many limitations to be considered a #1. On a contending team he is a #2 or 3. His poor hockey IQ is something he will never overcome. He has been in the league multiple years and still has rookie brain farts, and he doesn’t understand situational hockey.

He is a great skater and moves the puck well. It’s too bad he is a low IQ player and isn’t difficult to play against at all, or else he would be a #1.

Just because he is the #1 on one of the worst defensive units the NHL has seen this decade, doesn’t make him a number one. That’s like saying David Desharnais was a #1 center in MTL...
addtext_com_MTIwMTE1MjkwNjk.jpg

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Pound for pound there arent too many stronger players then Rielly he's 6'1 218. To put that into perepesctive Matthews is 2 inches taller and has 2 pounds on him... Rielly is getting better and better. He hasn't even peaked yet.

I am curious to see how Rielly plays around 205~210 lbs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Forsberg and Lindholm are 1/2, and he's fighting with Slavin for 3/4 (I have him 3, but Slavin is just as good if not better).
I wouldn't trade Rielly for any of the 3, although, I don't think Anaheim or Nashville do either. Rielly simply provides offence that the other 2 D simply don't, and we don't need a winger (and Nashville doesn't need an LHD). They all seem in the same tier at the moment, and you can argue any of them for each spot.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hopefully, this opinion isn't because the early season points being posted?

Palmieri, Debrincat, Aho the 3 best right wingers in the league based on early season point production? PPG can't ignore the games played.

Rielly is doing very well offensively.

We should just be happy, the Leafs look like they've got some options on the defense, and that Dermott and Ozhiganov look like they can play at this level.

Rielly just has to be consistent, and good. Based on draft position he should be at a minimum a good defenseman. I'd like to see him continue to improve defensively.
Gardiner has to make safe plays.
Zaitsev is playing the most minutes and looks to be recovered from last year's injury constraints.
Hainsey and Marincin are on the team too.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I wouldn't trade Rielly for any of the 3, although, I don't think Anaheim or Nashville do either. Rielly simply provides offence that the other 2 D simply don't, and we don't need a winger (and Nashville doesn't need an LHD). They all seem in the same tier at the moment, and you can argue any of them for each spot.

I'd trade him for Lindholm personally, but not Forsberg or Slavin.

Rielly/Slavin are both top-15 defenseman in hockey, where as Lindholm is in that 2nd tier with OEL, Subban, Burns where you could honestly make a case for top-5. Forsberg is a non-starter for the obvious fact we'd be trading our best D for more forwards lol. I just think he's more impactful, and has been for longer.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Rielly/Slavin are both top-15 defenseman in hockey, where as Lindholm is in that 2nd tier with OEL, Subban, Burns where you could honestly make a case for top-5. Forsberg is a non-starter for the obvious fact we'd be trading our best D for more forwards lol. I just think he's more impactful, and has been for longer.
I disagree. Lindholm has great underlying numbers, but, I'm not sold on his offensive ability to fill Rielly's role. In my opinion, a defenceman has to show more offensive upside to put him in the tier you put him in.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Lindholm doesn't perform enough offensively to be a legit top 10 d. He's wherever you rank a guy like Vlasic. Rielly is entering the Jones category of defensemen this year

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It is difficult to objectively compare similar players playing in different systems on different teams.

Gostisbehere for example is a career .68 PPG player. Reilly is a .47 PPG.

Would you trade Rielly for Parayko and Slavin? Probably could have traded 5th. overall for a 3rd. and a 4th.? LOL

I'm okay with Rielly, I just find his decision making defensively tends to lag in comparison to other top defenders who seem to anticipate plays.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If you look at last year's most successful offensive blueliners last year, not many of them beat Reilly as a 24 year old.
Any offensive blueliner is going to have a weakness to their defense based on aggressive positioning, playing the puck
more, etc. But I think if the chips were down and you told Rielly he really needed to just shut it down, he would be
dependable enough. He still suffers from offensive mindset on his own at times, where he just needs to defend.
Really think playoff experience will help him focus this more and more. Of course with a team full of defensive blah,
it just compounds the problem.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It is difficult to objectively compare similar players playing in different systems on different teams.

Gostisbehere for example is a career .68 PPG player. Reilly is a .47 PPG.

Would you trade Rielly for Parayko and Slavin? Probably could have traded 5th. overall for a 3rd. and a 4th.? LOL

I'm okay with Rielly, I just find his decision making defensively tends to lag in comparison to other top defenders who seem to anticipate plays.
Ghost's defensive play would get destroyed in this market.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I disagree. Lindholm has great underlying numbers, but, I'm not sold on his offensive ability to fill Rielly's role. In my opinion, a defenceman has to show more offensive upside to put him in the tier you put him in.

Lindholm is a god defensively. He's also above average offensively, but points don't show it. By far the best defensive player in the league. I'm not saying he has the ability to play in Rielly's role, but i do think Lindholm's skillset is much better than Rielly's.

Lindholm doesn't perform enough offensively to be a legit top 10 d. He's wherever you rank a guy like Vlasic. Rielly is entering the Jones category of defensemen this year

Well, he does. He just doesn't put up the points. He creates chances/shots up there with great offensive defenseman.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lindholm plays in Anaheim. That means no oen actually watches him and his mistakes are not seen.
Rielly is very, very underrated.

Reactions: Kubus

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
He's the best defenseman the Leafs have had since probably Salming.I never watched Salming but our teams weren't great for a while so it was Kaberle before Rielly.

A prime Kaberle is exactly what this team needs right now. Someone that can effortlessly move the puck out of danger and set up Rielly on the point, while logging 20 + mins a night. I miss Kabs... :(

Reactions: ULF_55 and Frelimo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->