Would trading Kadri for T. J. Brodie and Mark Jankowski worked out better?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There are never any guarantees in life. I would think most would value Kadri as being worth a 1st.
Suspensions imo are irrelevant. I don’t think any interested team would care about that. Calgary didn’t, Colorado didn’t. Do we know of any teams that did?
I would guess Colorado was happy trading Tyson Barrie and not having him leave as a UFA.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Of those four assets, i think Kerfoot will potentially be one of the better pieces moving forwards.

Will be funny if the Leafs end up signing Brodie as a free agent

Last edited:
Reactions: BertCorbeau

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So if Tyson Barrie did not have 1 year left on his contract you don't think Colorado ends up trading him to Toronto?
Just checking, you’re not talking about no one wanting Kadri because his suspension history any longer?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just checking, you’re not talking about no one wanting Kadri because his suspension history any longer?
Obviously Colorado was willing to trade for him despite his suspension history in the playoffs. I just wonder if getting a 1st round pick for him would be asking to much because of those suspensions?

Look at the trade when Toronto sent Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh. Yes Toronto got the Penguins 1st round pick in 2016, however that was conditional on them making the playoffs. You think when adding Phil Kessel it means getting a guaranteed unprotected 1st round pick. At that same time Boston got San Jose's 2016 1st round pick without any conditions when they traded Martin Jones to the Sharks and he never played a game for Boston.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He declined the trade because he didn't want to move. It wouldn't have bothered me.

I could understand that it may be difficult to shake knowing your team tried to trade you in the offseason. Would be an interesting motivation tactic though.... ok you wanna stay? Pull your socks up or else your gone.

Reactions: Magic Man

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
You'd rather have Kadri and say Marincin for a full season than Kerfoot and Barrie?

Personally I'd wayyy rather have the later. Problem is that Kerfoot never really got to play that 3C role that we brought him in for with Johnsson and Kapanen. Plus he got his face smashed and was never really the same after that. He started off hot and Barrie got axed by Babs to start the year.

A full healthy year under Keefe and I think we would have been pretty happy with the trade.

Brodie helps out our biggest issue which is a legit top pair defender with Rielly. I'm not mad about the trade at all. I actually liked the trade mainly because Kerfoot was added to it. Kerfoot was a very good 3C for us when he got to play there and him and Kapanen played very well together.

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Thankfully Kadri didn’t waive protecting us against another bonehead move by Dubas.

Remember, Dubas agreed to this trade and Kadri refused to waive. So if it wasn’t for Kadri we would be worse off thanks to Dubas. Barrie and Kerfoot hasn’t worked but they are better than what Dubas originally agreed to.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Wonder if Dubas may circle back to Janko on the trade market.
They'll likely be paying to get rid of him at this point. He was horrible this year.

As one poster already pointed out he had similar ES P/60 in his best year as Gauthier did this season with more offensive zone time than the Goat as well.

Unless he gets bought out and takes a 1 year deal as a depth guy no thanks. He had 1 point in his first 38 games this year. As a forward that is nearly impossible playing a regular shift.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
These stats say Brodi is one of the best defensive defensemen In the league and also a solid two way dman
Why the Toronto Maple Leafs and TJ Brodie Are a Match Made in Heaven

The issue with Brodie is that he only seems to be able to put up good numbers when playing with Giordano. Gio puts up elite numbers against elite competition no matter who he plays with.

Brodie:

19-20: 53.3xgf% with Gio, 44.1xgf% without
18-19: 55.3xgf% with Gio, 47.1xgf% without

The two years before that he barely played with Gio and registered 48.1% and 47.5%.

And that's even though hie competition got easier when he didn't play with Gio.

Personally I wouldn't trust him at all.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If the Leafs were able to re-sign Brodie, then the Calgary trade would 100% be better (Brodie>Barrie) but If they were unable to re-sign Brodie, then the Colorado trade would be better (Kerfoot>Jankowski). Who knows if they'd be able to re-sign Brodie, they would have likely had to shuffle around some money to do that. Regardless, I think the Leafs should of traded Kadri straight up for a top 4 guy who is signed long term (Pesce) and not for a top 4 guy+ 3rd line center.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
No. I love Kadri and definitely miss him. But out of those two options I still take the trade we made. Kerfy is definitely better than Jankowski, especially for our style. I have a feeling Kerfoot will be a welcome addition this playoffs. Barrie as underwhelmed and him and Brodie are a wash imo. I still take the deal we made.

Reactions: kb

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
No. I love Kadri and definitely miss him. But out of those two options I still take the trade we made. Kerfy is definitely better than Jankowski, especially for our style. I have a feeling Kerfoot will be a welcome addition this playoffs. Barrie as underwhelmed and him and Brodie are a wash imo. I still take the deal we made.

Kerfoot admitted it was a tough year. He wasn't the same after the injury. Was flying last game and looks like he has something to prove

Reactions: kb and Nylander88

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Brodie might have been better than Barrie, but just like zeke said: his numbers are iffy at best without Gio. On the other hand, Kerfoot was/is a hell of a lot better than [best player in the draft] Jankowski all while playing through a broken face for most of the season.

Neither trade would have ended up the we would have hoped, but then and now I would rather the Colorado deal.

Reactions: Menzinger and kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->