Speculation: Would TML trade Spezza as a cap dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What makes Spezza the ultimate cap dump? He has openly said he would retire if a team claims him on waivers. To make the numbers balance, TML could offer Spezza, he retires, he comes off a team's books.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
What makes Spezza the ultimate cap dump? He has openly said he would retire if a team claims him on waivers. To make the numbers balance, TML could offer Spezza, he retires, he comes off a team's books.
He has 11 points in 19 games and is making almost league minimum on a contract that ends after this season. Why would Toronto want to trade him as a cap dump?

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
He doesn't have to clear waivers to go on the taxi squad and he makes league minimum. What part of that makes him a cap dump?

Reactions: Altimus

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
The sheer stupidity in this post is astonishing. How can someone who is making close to league minimum be a cap dump
To be fair, in his mind he was making a brilliant point when he made this post. Im not sure what exactly he thought that point was but im sure he will inform us what we are all missing.

Don't be so hard on this guy...

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
To be fair, in his mind he was making a brilliant point when he made this post. Im not sure what exactly he thought that point was but im sure he will inform us what we are all missing.

Don't be so hard on this guy...

Damn. that would upset the psychologists who measured my IQ at 160+, my 2 college degrees, my 300 plus hours of college credits, my decades in sports management at all levels.

Now what I was thinking is THIS.

If Spezza is n0t seen as a valued asset. You trade him to team A, He retires, team A gets his salary as additional cap space as an additional resource.

No, I will not report you.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When the Leafs waive him he's a cap dump. He cleared waivers once so why would a team spend assets to acquire him?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Damn. that would upset the psychologists who measured my IQ at 160+, my 2 college degrees, my 300 plus hours of college credits, my decades in sports management at all levels.

If Spezza is n0t seen as a valued asset. You trade him to team A, He retires, team A gets his salary as additional cap space as an additional resource.

Couldn't team A to acquire that cap space also just, idk, not trade for him?

Reactions: 4thline and WillyNy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Didn't he say he would retire if he had to play for another team? That would be cap circumvention (looking at you Hossa).

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016

That is a blatant lie. Einstein and Hawking's IQ were 160. Why would you even bring up reporting me ? Did your feelings get hurt so you have to falsify your life online to feel better about yourself ?

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016

That wouldn't work either, that's cap circumvention. He flat out said he'd retire if he gets claimed off waivers

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Sheesh. That makes sense to you?

Nothing about it makes sense to any other living organism.

"Team A" would be no better off trading for Spezza and having him retire than they would be not trading for Spezza at all.

And, as others have repeatedly pointed out, it is not possible for a team to dump salary by trading a player making a league-minimum salary and replacing him with another player making league minimum or more.

Your passes aren't connecting. Try to keep your stick on the ice, okay?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

churchladyspecial.gif

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Exactly as much cap space as never trading for Spezza in the first place.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
People with 160 IQs are definitely prone to the lazy logical fallacy of appeal to authority, such as "college degrees = intelligence."

And this thread is so nonsensical that I really hope it's trolling. The alternative is too depressing.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

But none of that is logical. He makes 700k. The leafs could put him in the minors and no team is going to give up an asset to trade for him for his 700k cap hit. And his contract expires at the end of the season, so why would the leafs no longer see him as an asset as he is on pace for more 40 points in a full season.

So since you seem to belive you have discovered some great plan that the leafs can execute to save exactly $0.00 in cap money, please explain it to the rest of us who clearly dont see what you see. How exaclty would they save any cap money when the player they replace him with will probably be earning more than 700k, and why would a team trade for Spezza knowing he is going to retire when his cap hit is only 700k and any player they replace him on the roster with will likely have a higher cap hit which eliminates all of this amazing cap savings you are talking about. How does that help them?

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This just in, 700k is apparently a cap dump.

Boy, are all the GMs in the NHL in trouble with all of their cap dumps

Reactions: Ciao

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008

Spezza is a valued asset, a veteran presence that can move up and down the lineup, also can play center or wing. Continues to be one of the better face off men in the league, has put up 11 points in 19 games and all that with a 700,000 caphit.
I'm not saying he's worth much or anything in the trade market, but why would we be looking to get rid of that type of player?

Reactions: axlrose87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad