Line Combos: Would this work?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think that it is safe to say that Galchenyuk will be a centre from now on. It also looks like Pacioretty has been cut free from Desharnais. I was thinking about lines and would this work.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Sekac-Plekanec-Parenteau
Andrighetto-Eller-Bournival
Prust-Desharnais-Weise
Malholtra

Pretty much I am just switching Desharnais down to the fourth line and scratching Malholtra. I have nothing against Malholtra but he provides very little offence. Eller has turned himself into a great faceoff man. Desharnais still plays centre but on the fourth line. It could bring offence to the fourth line and the team had lacked that this year.

Therien likes to role four lines so it would not be like Desharnais would get very little ice time. He could do very well when matched up against opposition fourth lines.

By the way the wingers are interchangeable. I also kept Andrighetto in the lineup as he has not done anything to deserve to get sent back down to Hamilton. Maybe in the future but not right now.

CanadianODST

Dec 17, 2014
Desharnais reminds me of the Briere situation, I'd rather keep Malhotra for what he brings, I think we need to make a trade or try Desharnais on the wing, cause we got too many players for too few spots.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think that it is safe to say that Galchenyuk will be a centre from now on. It also looks like Pacioretty has been cut free from Desharnais. I was thinking about lines and would this work.

Sekac-Plekanec-Parenteau
Andrighetto-Eller-Bournival
Prust-Desharnais-Weise
Malholtra

Pretty much I am just switching Desharnais down to the fourth line and scratching Malholtra. I have nothing against Malholtra but he provides very little offence. Eller has turned himself into a great faceoff man. Desharnais still plays centre but on the fourth line. It could bring offence to the fourth line and the team had lacked that this year.

Therien likes to role four lines so it would not be like Desharnais would get very little ice time. He could do very well when matched up against opposition fourth lines.

By the way the wingers are interchangeable. I also kept Andrighetto in the lineup as he has not done anything to deserve to get sent back down to Hamilton. Maybe in the future but not right now.

My ideal line-up given the situation would be:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Sekac - Plekanec - Parenteau
Prust - Eller - Desharnais
Bournival - Malhotra - Weise

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
My ideal line-up given the situation would be:

Sekac - Plekanec - Parenteau
Prust - Eller - Desharnais

why not
Pacc - Chucky - Gally
DD - Plek - Sekak
Prust - Eller - Parenteau

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
why not
Pacc - Chucky - Gally
DD - Plek - Sekak

Could work as well.

As long as DD is the one being moved to the wing, I feel like he can play on any of the top 3 lines, although I'd rather not reunite him with Pacioretty. They'd just ignore Galchenyuk if that were the case. :laugh:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Curious as to why everyone is giving Eller the third line center automatically. Desharnais has clearly been the more effective player offensively this season. I think either he or Eller will have to play wing on the second or third line, because we definitely have a logjam at center now.

CanadianODST

Dec 17, 2014
Curious as to why everyone is giving Eller the third line center automatically. Desharnais has clearly been the more effective player offensively this season. I think either he or Eller will have to play wing on the second or third line, because we definitely have a logjam at center now.

No one can physically stand to give DD credit.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal

but Eller's bigger and he played well in the last playoff

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada

Eller is a much better player at center than on the wings. It's logical to play him where he will contribute the most. Desharnais's offense won't be affected if he plays on the wing. We need Eller at center so that he can take some the defensive duties off of Plekanec, otherwise the Habs offense will live and die through the Galchenyuk-Patches line.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Certainly looks good for the Habs playoff picture, having 5 very capable centers and Hudon(C) playing exceptionally well for a rookie in the AHL, McCarron(C) for London Knights. Depth at center was always a great strength of the Habs dynasty teams, and Bergevin has restored that strength to a comparable level.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Four reasons:

- Eller can play shutdown which relieve pressure off Plekanec;
- Eller has a 59% faceoff percentage;
- Eller's offensive production when Bourque isn't on his line is very high, around 0.45 ppg without PP time;
- Eller is better at centre than on wing whereas Desharnais will be the same either way;

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Four reasons:

- Eller can play shutdown which relieve pressure off Plekanec;
- Eller has a 59% faceoff percentage;
- Eller's offensive production when Bourque isn't on his line is very high, around 0.45 ppg without PP time;
- Eller is better at centre than on wing whereas Desharnais will be the same either way;

Since when are they that important?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know if it would work, but I know that Desharnais's line clearly works at the moment, so there's no reason to change it.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Do you think that Plekanec is a better player than Desharnais? Because our $5million dollar center is reduced to playing a checking line again while DD becomes an exploitation easy match ups line. Eller can take defensive zone FO and still produce because he can carry into the oppositions offensive zone. Something DD cannot do so the entire lineup is always centered around covering for DD weakness.

Eller has proven he can match DD production from 3rd line without PP, is leagues fourth best faceoff man and because playoffs.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
pacioretty-galchenyuk-gallagher
sekec-plekanec-eller
prust-desharnais-parenteau
tangradi-malhotra-weise

markov-subban
emelin-gonchar
beaulieu-gilbert

price
tokarski

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Patches-Chucky-Gallagher
Andrighetto-Plekanec-Sekac
Prust-Desharnais-Parenteau
Hudon-Eller-Weise

Equal distribution.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
pacioretty-galchenyuk-gallagher
sekec-plekanec-eller
prust-desharnais-parenteau
tangradi-malhotra-weise

markov-subban
emelin-gonchar
beaulieu-gilbert

price
tokarski

That looks pretty good if that second line doesn't work I would go with
Sekac Eller DD
And put pleks on more defensive role with Prust and pap.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I said it somewhere else:

Desharnais - Plekanec - Sekac

If Desharnais stays at center. he will be our second line centre. Not our third, never been use as a third even if it's the popular mindset. He still gets tons of PP time and offensive games situations. That's second line minutes and ROLE , not third line. Plekanec has been put in a third line role with no PP and playing with Weise and Sekac....which is the right thing to do right now, but not when Eller will be back.

I believe that if DD can be somewhat useful to any teams, he need to get an offensive role and offensive games situation. Those minutes and those games situations are on the top 6. If he wants them, he have to get to the wing.....cause he won't make it on the bottom 6 with a more defensive role.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Play them together and have Eller be the defensive zone "center" and Desharnais in the offensive zone.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Eller-Plekanec-Sekac
Prust-Desharnais-Parenteau
Bournival-Malhotra-Weise

Is what I would go roll with for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad