Would the Swedish fans trade Group History record for one Gold?

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Its amazing, that the Sweden Junior Team won 50 group games in a row. Their last losing game is dated to December 31 2006.

Fantastic. :thumbu:

Unfortunately, Sweden won only 2 Gold medals. First in 1981 and the second in 2012.

Thats bad. :thumbd:

Of course. Gold is what matters, not wins against Switzerland and Kazakstan in the group stage.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Nah, screw the gold. Group wins are what counts.
My sarcasm detector exploded for some reason a moment ago. I already had a conversation with someone on this board (I don’t recall the name) that basically said he would not trade the streak for a gold. It would have to be several golds to make it worth it to him. This seems ludicrous to me. Perhaps if it was a nation that already had several golds under their belt like Canada or Russia, then perhaps it would make some sense, but Sweden having won only two in more than 40 years at the WJC has become a punchline.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Nah, screw the gold. Group wins are what counts.
My sarcasm detector exploded for some reason a moment ago. I already had a conversation with someone on this board (I don’t recall the name) that basically said he would not trade the streak for a gold. It would have to be several golds to make it worth it to him. This seems ludicrous to me. Perhaps if it was a nation that already had several golds under their belt like Canada or Russia, then perhaps it would make some sense, but Sweden having won only two in more than 40 years at the WJC has become a punchline.
Yeah, the time for winning gold was waaaay back when only Canada and Russia were legit threats to win. Sweden at that time would have an OK chance. Now, throw in USA and Finland and the road to gold gets much tougher.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, the time for winning gold was waaaay back when only Canada and Russia were legit threats to win. Sweden at that time would have an OK chance. Now, throw in USA and Finland and the road to gold gets much tougher.

Sweden's first win was in 1981 when USSR was the only major contender as Canada was still just sending the Memorial Cup champions with some ringers. It's kind of amazing the misfortune Sweden has had with regard to this tournament.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The idiom "Always the Bridesmaid never the Bride" is perfect to describe Sweden in this tournament.

13 Gold medal game appearances, 2 wins, 11 losses, what seems like an impossible 18% win ratio in the final.

For comparison :

Canada - 27 finals, 18 wins, 9 losses : 66% win ratio

USA - 6 finals, 4 wins, 2 losses : 66% win ratio

Finland - 9 finals, 5 wins, 4 losses : 55% win ratio

Russia - 26 finals, 13 wins, 13 losses : 50% win ratio

Czech Republic - 7 finals, 2 wins, 5 losses : 28% win ratio

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
For one Gold? No.

The group stage record is a great indicator of talent. If you compare Swedish rosters and what they amounted to, to any of european teams in the same period, player by player, Sweden takes it, most likely EVERY time.

And what is this one Gold? Can be a fluke.

Now 2 Golds? We can start talking.

Reactions: VictorLustig

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden

Your sarcasm detector was right in this case, sorry if I was unclear. Of course I would change the group wins for a gold.

Arvola

Jan 7, 2020
Olofström
American's is stronger in finals than semis and group stage really guys … :DD:DD:DD:DD

For comparison :

Canada - 27 finals, 18 wins, 9 losses : 66% win ratio

USA - 6 finals, 4 wins, 2 losses : 66% win ratio

Finland - 9 finals, 5 wins, 4 losses : 55% win ratio

Russia - 26 finals, 13 wins, 13 losses : 50% win ratio

Czech Republic - 7 finals, 2 wins, 5 losses : 28% win ratio

I didn't looking the final tour this year so who beaten between Russia - Canada in final tour? :DD

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Group records are valueless. The whole rasult of tournament is vital.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
For one Gold? No.

The group stage record is a great indicator of talent. If you compare Swedish rosters and what they amounted to, to any of european teams in the same period, player by player, Sweden takes it, most likely EVERY time.

And what is this one Gold? Can be a fluke.

Now 2 Golds? We can start talking.

Absolutely. Bing able to send one of the top teams to this tournament every year will eventually lead to gold medals, one gold in 12(?) years is not THAT ridiculous. You need good bounces in crucial moments, we have not gotten them. I actually think many of our teams have overperformed, this years team for example.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Absolutely. Bing able to send one of the top teams to this tournament every year will eventually lead to gold medals, one gold in 12(?) years is not THAT ridiculous. You need good bounces in crucial moments, we have not gotten them. I actually think many of our teams have overperformed, this years team for example.
Well, how about 2 in 44? That’s pretty freakin’ ridiculous.

Reactions: MattiasSnall

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
We'll keep the streak, and win gold next year.

Agree that 2 golds so far is a little too little, but its tough to win, not many nations have a realistic chance to do it.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Sweden's first win was in 1981 when USSR was the only major contender as Canada was still just sending the Memorial Cup champions with some ringers. It's kind of amazing the misfortune Sweden has had with regard to this tournament.
Not only that, but the Memorial cup champs from the previous year. Many of the top end talent would have moved on, so in reality a re-build Junior team, with a few additions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->