Would the Sedins have made us a playoff team?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Not a chance, even if ya split them up

Leivo Pettersson Boeser
Roussell Horvat Virtanen
Pearson Gaudette Daniel
Goldobin Henrick Clamato
Beagle Eriksson

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
The better question would have been would we have been a playoff team if we replaced gudbrandson and pouliot with hamhuis and garrisson?

Hamhuis still has some life in him, Garrison I'm not so sure. But compared to Pouliot and Gudbranson, and all the points they bled from us this year... yeah, I would argue they give us a few more wins, which potentially squeaks into a playoff spot, this year specifically.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
No, but Utica would probably be a for sure playoff team with both Gaudette and Goldobin down there
Youd play Eriksson Granlund Schaller and Daniel over Gaudette and Goldobin?? Just :facepalm:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I forgot about Goldobin as well. Makes me realize that if we did have the Sedins we'd have alot of meh taking up cap space on the bench.

Goldobin
Granlund
Pearson
Spooner
Beagle
Motte
Schaller

Probably forgetting some lol.
What moves don't get made if the twins are eating up 2 of your forward spots?

Horvat, Boeser, Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, Baertschi, Virtanen, Gagner, Motte were returning from last season. Pencil a spot for Pettersson. Add in the twins you'd be at 12 spots. Plus wanted to give Goldy a shot to earn a spot in camp. Sign Rousell because with Henrik, that gives your 4 Centres. That would put you at 14 forwards as Motte was not guaranteed a spot. Daniel coming back could close the option on Schaller.

Playoff team? Probably no. There was no finisher on the 2nd PP unit unless Goldy developed into one. Don't expect the twins to be scoring many goals.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I'd say they would have finished in the 8-10 range, I would've loved to seen a power play of Sedins, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes though. Would of been unreal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd say they would have finished in the 8-10 range, I would've loved to seen a power play of Sedins, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes though. Would of been unreal.
Lack a net presence. Henrik and Pettersson play the same position on the PP on the right side wall. Henrik is a pure passer. How would you configure that group to make the best use of their skill set? Petey and Brock are your 2 shooters so they should be on the half walls on their off wings. Where would you position each twin?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't think they would have signed the FAs that they did. So we would have had only used up half the cap space.

That would have been the one huge plus to signing the Sedins.

As for helping the team win...nope. On the ice they were finished outside of the PP. Offensively they still had a little juice but defensively they failed the eye test badly. I know the team was bad and +/- is a rubbish stat but Henrik was -27 and -22 the last two years, you need to go back to his 2000/01 rookie season -2 to find another Henrik negative +/-.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Sedins would've struggled to get 30 points a piece on the 3rd line. Plus they weren't good defensively anymore either. The only plus is that we wouldn't have signed Beagle and Schaller to those ugly contracts.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And yet they still would have been better than what...like the half the forwards on our roster no?

I'm not saying we'd be better off long-term if they stayed. But they could still play, and could have kept playing. A lot better than some of Benning's acquisitions to say the least. I mean, if he really valued "character" players so much...

The sedin twins were minus 21 and minus 22 despite getting 74% of their starts in the offensive zone.

It's not like father time was going to spare them this year.

They had a great run but they were done, if they had stayed EP40 wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hamhuis still has some life in him, Garrison I'm not so sure. But compared to Pouliot and Gudbranson, and all the points they bled from us this year... yeah, I would argue they give us a few more wins, which potentially squeaks into a playoff spot, this year specifically.

Gudbranson seems to be a fit with the Pens, at least in his first 7 games.

Also McCann is looking like a good secondary scorer for the Pens as well.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No. The twins are old men.

I do however, believe that a healthier defense would have led to us to being competitive for a Wildcard playoff spot. Those injuries to our defense really hurt us, as did losing Baertschi and not having a healthy Sutter all year.

As I said earlier this season - the Canucks, when relatively healthy, are a Wildcard playoff caliber team (or close to it). Unfortunately however, a few of their players are highly injury prone, along with the fact that the Canucks seem to completely crumble when bit with the injury bug (case in point - their 12 game winless streak earlier this season).

I do believe that this problem will be solved as they become deeper as a team as part of the natural rebuilding process, but for right now, the Canucks are built on a House of Cards and simply can’t sustain very many injuries.

Plan of action:

1) Bite the bullet and re-sign Edler
2) Hughes will be in the line-up next year and will make us deeper.
3) Sign Duchene or Ferland
4) Sign Brett Connolly
5) In 2020-2021, perhaps Juolevi, Woo, and a returning Tryamkin will be on this team as well.

Increase of depth + the gradual maturation and improvement of our young players is key.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not a chance, even if ya split them up

Leivo Pettersson Boeser
Roussell Horvat Virtanen
Pearson Gaudette Daniel
Goldobin Henrick Clamato
Beagle Eriksson

Those are horrible lines for the Sedin's and just includes our current roster with all the moves made without them.

I'd have been interested in seeing how it goes with them split up though, and going to assume Beagle and Schaller aren't, and no mid season roster moves. In particular Daniel last year scored 82-23-32-55, and would be our clear cut #2 winger after Boeser either stacking a line or giving Pettersson and Horvat each a good winger to play with. You could then see how Henrik does on a #3C line with less pressure to score and more defensive wingers.

I'm thinking a top 9 that would have started looking something like:

Daniel-Pettersson-Boeser
Baerstchi-Horvat-Virtanen/Goldobin
Roussel-Henrik-Eriksson/Virtanen

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Would be in the thick of it 100%, the Pacific/West is like 3.5 good teams
Calgary
San Jose
Winnipeg
Nashville
Las Vegas GKs

All good teams

The rest are bubble teams IMO, then three complete crap teams: Vancity Anahiem LA

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
No, really I thought Henrik's shot was dropping off quickly. I thought Daniel had a couple more seasons in him but didn't want to slug through a rebuild and didn't want to move. Maybe having the Sedins allows Jim to make a trade for help on the backend, but that's a mighty big if. They are still a lottery team with the Sedins in the lineup.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Who knows what we would've traded at the trade deadline had we still had the Sedins and been closer to the playoffs..... shudder

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Gudbranson seems to be a fit with the Pens, at least in his first 7 games.

Also McCann is looking like a good secondary scorer for the Pens as well.

If Gudbranson manages to find his game with the Penguins, good for him? I don't wish him ill, but even if he can be a positive for their org that still doesn't change him being a negative in ours.

He was not fitting here at all, I think the numbers, eye test, and analytics all support that. I mean, he said as much himself.

Wish we still had McCann. Or had at least traded him for better value.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It would be very very close. At least our power play wouldn’t be complete crap.

Sedin-Sedin-Pettersson
Boeser-Hughes

That would be extremely fun to watch right now.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If Gudbranson manages to find his game with the Penguins, good for him? I don't wish him ill, but even if he can be a positive for their org that still doesn't change him being a negative in ours.

He was not fitting here at all, I think the numbers, eye test, and analytics all support that. I mean, he said as much himself.

Wish we still had McCann. Or had at least traded him for better value.
I watched Gudbranson closely yesterday vs the caps. Stood up for Guentzel against Tom Wilson over a minor incident. Pisses me off because he didn’t do anything here when Pettersson got thrown down among others. Defensively he was a train wreck again. Iced the puck off the boards late in the game and continues to not know how to make an outlet pass.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Sedins would've struggled to get 30 points a piece on the 3rd line. Plus they weren't good defensively anymore either. The only plus is that we wouldn't have signed Beagle and Schaller to those ugly contracts.

My argument is that they were poor defensively because they were cheating in the defensive zone as if they could still score like they used to. They are very smart players and I don't think they would be poor defensively if they focused on that aspect of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad