Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Depends on how many games series goes

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.4%

• Total voters

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
And what do you think a full scale rebuild looks like? Move out Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Connor, Morrissey and Ehlers and load up on draft picks? Do you want to watch that over the next 5 years? People weren't going when we were top 3 in the division all year. How many show up when your closest rivals become SJ, Chi and Anaheim?
Moot point, because TNSE ain't tearing it down

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
And what do you think a full scale rebuild looks like? Move out Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Connor, Morrissey and Ehlers and load up on draft picks? Do you want to watch that over the next 5 years? People weren't going when we were top 3 in the division all year. How many show up when your closest rivals become SJ, Chi and Anaheim?
Fair. TO clarify, I mean a clean out of management and coaching staff and hockey trades involving 2or 3 of the "core".

Highly unlikely Scheifele or Hellebuckyk are going anywhere. So that leaves Connor, Ehlers, Appleton, Pionk.

Also, there will be significant change if the UFA's all walk: #2C, top 9RW, our #2D, best defensive D and the best back up goalie in the league.

That is already close to a rebuild.

Make room for Lambert, Chibrikov, Heinola.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It is a choke because they epically failed at what the team strength was supposed to be. Vezina and Jennings trophy goalie with a sub .850 save percentage and almost 6 goals a game against.

The team choked plain and simple.

3 playoffs in a row the team has been destroyed. Time for a full scale rebuild.

Full scale rebuild? :laugh: Oh that’s a funny one! As if Vezina caliber goalies and a Norris caliber defenseman just grow on trees. :laugh:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
IDK - others can offer more detailed assessments. From my high level think back on that series, the Oil actually out played us all 4 games statistically. They had far more High Danger chances in each of the four games. Helle was on his game and made the key saves. This series, we did not have a good version of Helle. And our special teams this series were horribad. I think we were very lucky to win that Oiler series 4 straight - we had the puck luck going our way. With good Helle, we probably were going to win that series but not 4 straight - that was an anomaly from my perspective. Some might say that the Oilers were FRAUDS that year. I wouldn't, too much variance in hockey.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the AVS team won the cup 2 years ago and bring playoff winning experience to the table. They really upped their game this year in the playoffs. Edmonton did not have that.

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.

I'm an Oilers fan (also a jets fan, but more of a tertiary team that I root for). I remember watching that Oilers series and it was just hard to watch from an Oilers fan perspective. I expected to see much of the same in this Avs series.

There probably is a lot to be said for the Avs elite talent having much more playoff experience than that Oilers team.

Reactions: Buffdog

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Full scale rebuild? :laugh: Oh that’s a funny one! As if Vezina caliber goalies and a Norris caliber defenseman just grow on trees. :laugh:
There is context...

Monahan - #2 C gone UFA
Toffoli - 2nd line RW gone UFA
DeMelo - #2 RHD might be gone UFA
Dillon - #3/4 tough D - gone UFA
Brossoit - Excellent back up goalie - gone UFA

2 top 6 forwards, 2 top 4 D, and the best back up goalie in the league all gone (or likely gone). that is getting close to a rebuild already.

Now, if the coaching staff and maybe even the GM also change, that's a rebuild IMO.

Plus, trade a key guy such as Connor or Ehlers to change up the mix = Rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad