Would the Patriots Do the Unthinkable and Fire Belichick?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I truly think it’s impossible at this point. Kraft is on the record numerous times saying Bill can stay as long as he wants.

Certainly one losing season isn’t going to come close to changing that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not this year. But if he has a losing record next year they might do what’s best for the football team - T E A M - team

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
No but he shouldnt much say in player personnel. He's had some brutal drafts the last couple seasons.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
No, but I think he's gonna retire sooner than later.

In fact I can kind of see him retire after this season.

Alas, when Belichick retires, the rest of NFL teams fans be like

coffin-415x259.png

Reactions: John Price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell they do it. Too much success. And the optics would look horrible. And if not Belichick. Who is better as coach?

But..I have friends who suggest it's not impossible.

So...do you see it happening?
The Patriot way may wear thin on players if they don’t win. I do think NE needs someone in player personnel to help him out. Too much on his plate at this point.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
No but he shouldnt much say in player personnel. He's had some brutal drafts the last couple seasons.
His contract is literally tied to having full personnel control. Its either Bill the coach and gm or neither. Im sure teams would be lining up if the Pats let him go.

member 157595

Is this a serious post? Fire BB? Just because he can't magically conjure up a successful team out of what is basically Stephon Gilmore and a scrap heap? I don't like the Patriots but damn.

For one, what coach is going to do better with this team right now? For two, if Doug Pederson gets leeway in Philadelphia due to one SB title can you imagine the leeway BB would have after SIX Lombardis and 9 Super Bowl appearances in the past two decades? He's there until he wants to leave.

Reactions: DoyleG

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
not over a transition year.

Belichick will never say it but his sights are on the coming offseason.

The Patriots will have a mountain of cap space, $60 million, and what should be one of the deepest FA classes in recent memory between guys that are up and cuts that will come as teams have to get under the lowering cap.

They are in prime position to reload.

Reactions: Barnum and Tuggy

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Let me wrap my head around this one. The most successful and longest dynasty in the history of the NFL is going to fire the architect of here said dynasty because he has a 2-5 record after unbelievable success for 20 years?!?!?!?

Alrighty then, this question seems legit.

I have posted this several times on here. The Belly is on record as saying he does not want to coach into his 70s and I believe he referenced Marv Levy when saying it. Whether he moves 100% into the front office is unknown. I figure he plays out this year and next and hands the keys over to McDaniels.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
not over a transition year.

Belichick will never say it but his sights are on the coming offseason.

The Patriots will have a mountain of cap space, $60 million, and what should be one of the deepest FA classes in recent memory between guys that are up and cuts that will come as teams have to get under the lowering cap.

They are in prime position to reload.

This makes the most sense to me. Also, he will have those 9 guys returning from the CV19 opt out. 2 of them being very integral to that defense and team leaders.

Reactions: DoyleG

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Let me wrap my head around this one. The most successful and longest dynasty in the history of the NFL is going to fire the architect of here said dynasty because he has a 2-5 record after unbelievable success for 20 years?!?!?!?

Alrighty then, this question seems legit.

I have posted this several times on here. The Belly is on record as saying he does not want to coach into his 70s and I believe he referenced Marv Levy when saying it. Whether he moves 100% into the front office is unknown. I figure he plays out this year and next and hands the keys over to McDaniels.
He made those comments about Marv Levy and not coaching into his 70s over 10 years ago in 2009.

Hes more or less gone back on those comments a couple times though. He said last year he didnt really know what 70 felt like when he made those comments and referenced that he feels better than he thought he would in his late 60s. Couple that with the fact that anyone close to him knows how important Shula's record is to him and I dont think he is going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: He's also coaching with both his sons and from all reports is making a ton of money as the highest paid coach. No real reason to leave

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnum

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
His contract is literally tied to having full personnel control. Its either Bill the coach and gm or neither. Im sure teams would be lining up if the Pats let him go.

Teams would love him as coach but it would be a huge mistake to give him complete control.

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
Lol legit probably 20+ franchises wud fire their current coach to hire him if he was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad